Comparing Credit Card Offers from Capital One
Imagine credit cards that are easy to use, miles that are easy to redeem and rewards that are easy to love. Capital One has all this and more. With no foreign transaction fees and generous annual fee offers, the Capital One cards allow you to explore your world in a refreshing way. We look here at what is offered and how the cards work:
- Best Capital One credit cards of 2018
- Details on the best cards
- What is Capital One?
- Capital One rewards program and best redemption options
- Other benefits of having Capital One cards
CreditCards.com expert picks & ratings: Best Capital One credit cards of 2018
|Credit Card||Best In Class:||Annual Fee||CreditCards.com Rating|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card||Hotel bookings||$0 first year, then $95||4.4 / 5|
|Capital One® Quicksilver® Card - 0% Intro APR for 15 Months||Flat-rate cash back||$0||3.5 / 5|
|Capital One® Quicksilver® Card - $200 Bonus Offer||Generous sign-up bonus||$0||N/A|
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card||Travel rewards||$0||3.6 / 5|
|Capital One® Platinum Credit Card||Fair credit applicants||$0||N/A|
|Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card||Dining rewards||$0||3.5 / 5|
|Capital One® QuicksilverOne® Cash Rewards Credit Card||Limited credit history||$39||2.4 / 5|
|Capital One® Secured Mastercard®||Building credit||$0||N/A|
|Capital One® Spark® Cash for Business||Cash back on business purchases||$0 first year, then $95||4.4 / 5|
|Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business||Business travel||$0 first year, then $95||4.2 / 5|
Details on the best cards
Capital One's exciting lineup of credit cards includes business, cash and travel rewards, as well as vehicles for credit building. They typically have no foreign transaction fee, and you can allow an authorized user to build credit while giving a loved one access to a quality credit card. Check out these excellent cards' features.
Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card
If you are looking for tight rewards and don't want to be tied down by a specific travel brand, this card is perfect. With an annual fee of $95 after the first year, it's still worth your while if you do a fair amount of traveling.
The sign-up bonus is 50,000 miles after a $3,000 spend within the first 3 months of card membership, and the ongoing rewards are a generous 2X miles for every dollar spent. After your first year, if you spend at least $400 a month on the card, you'll break even on the annual fee.
- 10X miles on hotels when booked and paid through hotels.com/venture
- 50,000 miles sign-up, $3,000 spend in 3 months
- 2X miles on all purchases
Also, if you are looking to spend a fair amount on hotels in the next couple of years, this card and the VentureOne Rewards card are show-stoppers.
With these cards, you can earn 10X miles for every dollar you spend when booked and paid through hotels.com/venture with your Venture or VentureOne card. This offer is good through Jan. 31, 2020.
Capital One Venture-hotel offer...
|Card||Capital One Venture Rewards||Capital One VentureOne Rewards|
|Sign-up bonus||50,000 miles/$3,000 spend in 3 mths||20,000 miles/$1,000 spend in 3 mths|
|Rewards||2X miles/$1||1.25X miles/$1|
|Hotel rewards||10X miles/$1||10X miles/$1|
|Annual fee||$95 waived first yr||$0|
|Total end of first year||82,000 miles=$820||47,500 miles=$475|
Capital One Quicksilver Card - 0% Intro APR for 15 Months
This card is for the consumer who wants the freedom of cash back and not have to worry about rotating categories. There is a sign-up bonus of $150 after a $500 spend within the first 3 months of card membership, and 1.5% back on all purchases. Unlike the QuicksilverOne, which accepts consumers with credit that's not the best, the Quicksilver has no annual fee.
- $150 sign-up bonus, $500 spend in first 3 months
- Unlimited 1.5% cash back
- 0% intro APR for 15 months, purchases & balance transfers (then 14.74% - 24.74% variable)
Capital One Quicksilver Card - $200 Bonus Offer
This Capital One Quicksilver Card comes with a $200 bonus offer. Note that while the two versions of the Capital One Quicksilver Card both offer the coveted 1.5% unlimited cash back, there is a difference in the intro 0% APR and sign-up bonus. While the other Quicksilver card offers 0% APR for 15 months and a sign-up bonus of $150 for spending $500 in three months, this Quicksilver card offers a shorter 0% intro APR period of 9 months but a larger $200 sign-up bonus that requires a $1,000 spend in three months.
- $200 sign-up bonus, $1,000 spend in first 3 months
- Unlimited 1.5% cash back
- 0% intro APR for 9 months on purchases & balance transfers (then 14.74% - 24.74% variable)
Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card
As you can see, the VentureOne's fun rewards make it worth a look. It has a sign-up bonus of 20,000 miles after a $1,000 spend in the first 3 months, and 1.25X miles on every purchase. This card also allows you to enjoy 10X miles on every dollar spent on hotels.com/venture.
- 10X miles on hotels when booked and paid through hotels.com/venture
- 20,000 miles sign-up bonus, $1,000 spend in first 3 months
- 1.25X miles on all purchases
Capital One Platinum Credit Card
Need a leg up on your credit? Look no further. This card accepts consumers with average, fair or limited credit. While there are no rewards, there is no annual fee, unlike the QuicksilverOne, and like the QuicksilverOne, you can up your credit limit after the first 5 months of on-time payments.
- No annual fee
- Higher credit limit after first 5 monthly on-time payments
- Access to online banking
Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card
Savor the rewards on this card, with 3% back on dining, which means that $600 a month becomes $216 back at the end of your first year.
There's also 2% back on groceries, which comes to $10 a month with a $500 spend, or $120 at the end of your first year. It's 1% back on everything else. There's also a $150 sign-up bonus after a $500 spend within your first 3 months of card membership.
There's no annual fee, so your first year, your cash back would be $486. There's also a 0% intro APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers.
- $150 cash bonus, $500 spend in first 3 months
- 3% cash back on restaurants, 2% cash back on groceries
- 0% intro APR for 15 months, purchases & balance transfer (then 16.24% - 24.99% variable)
Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card
This card doesn't have the sign-up bonus of the Quicksilver, but it has the same ongoing rewards, making it a compelling choice for your wallet. It also gives you access to a higher credit limit after you make your first 5 payments on time.
- 1.5% cash back on all purchases
- No rotating categories
- Good for average, fair, limited credit
Here is a comparison of the Quicksilver cards:
Compare Quicksilver cards...
|Card||Capital One Quicksilver||Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards|
|Sign-up bonus||$150/$500 spend in 3 mths||N/A|
|Rewards||1.5% cash back||1.5% cash back|
|Spend||$500 a mth/12 mths||$500 a mth/12 mths|
|Required credit||Good, excellent||Average, fair, limited|
|Total end of first year||$150+$90=$240||$90-$39=$51|
Capital One Secured Mastercard
Some of us are struggling to get ahead financially, and this card can get you on your way.
The Capital One Secured Mastercard accepts consumers with bad or limited credit and is ideal for someone looking to build credit. That's because the easiest and fastest way to build credit is with a credit card. Why? Because the dominant scoring models favor responsible credit card use.
With a secured card like this one, though, you will be required to put down a refundable deposit that you will be borrowing off of for your credit limit. With this card, you get an initial credit limit of $200 after you put down a deposit of $49, $99 or $200, depending on your creditworthiness. You can build credit as you pay on time and in full each month.
- No annual fee
- For limited, bad credit
- Initial $200 credit limit (with $49, $99, or $200 security deposit, based on creditworthiness)
Capital One Spark Cash for Business
The spark that this card's 2% back offers makes it a challenge to ignore. And if you are looking for a cashback card, but want the convenience of a card that grants you employee cards at no charge, this card delivers.
There's an incredible $500 sign-up bonus after a $4,500 spend within the first 3 months of card membership and 2% back on all purchases. One plus: Your employees' spending gets you cash back on your account. There's a $95 annual fee, but it's waived the first year.
- $500 cash bonus, $4,500 spend in first 3 months
- 2% cash back is unlimited
- $95 annual fee waived first year
Capital One Spark Miles for Business
The Spark Miles for Business is similar to the Spark Cash, except you get miles instead of cash back. The Spark Miles earns you 50,000 miles after a $4,500 spend within the first 3 months of card membership and 2X miles on all spending.
The $95 annual fee is waived the first year, which means that if you spend $1,000 a month, that comes to 24,000 miles or $240 in travel, plus the $500 sign-up, bringing you to $740 your first year. Even after the first year, with that level of spending, you will be earning back more than the annual fee.
- One-time 50,000 miles bonus, $4,500 spend in 3 months
- 2X miles on all spending
- Miles don't expire
Journey Student Rewards from Capital One
We will always remember our first car, first pet and first sweetheart. What about your first credit card? With this card, you can be accepted if you have average, fair or limited credit. This is a good credit-builder card for the student, allowing you to earn 1% cash back on all purchases, giving you the opportunity to build great memories while earning rewards.
Heads up that if you are under 21, you have to have independent income to get a credit card, per the Credit CARD Act of 2009.
- 1% back on all purchases
- No annual fee or foreign transaction fee
- For average, fair, limited credit
What is Capital One?
As the 11th largest bank in America, it's little surprise the breadth of services Capital One offers.
From consumer to commercial, this bank offers a wide range of financial opportunities. Here are some of the services offered.
- Credit cards – from credit building to rewards and cash back
- Banking – from checking and kids savings to CDs and IRAs
- Auto – for new or used car loan, or refinancing
- Invest – through Capital One Investing
- Credit cards – Spark Cash and Spark Miles
- Banking – checking and savings
- Borrow – includes business loans
- Invest – includes creating 401(k) plans
- Manage – merchant services and cash management
- Commercial lending – from term loans to lines of credit
- Depository services – commercial checking, savings or CDs
- Treasury management – digital tools and automated solutions
- Capital markets – from foreign exchange to public finance
- Private banking & wealth management – from asset management to trust services
- Corporate card – The One Card from Capital One simplifies expenses, accounts payable and billing processes
Capital One rewards program and best redemption options
It's relatively easy to earn and redeem with the Capital One rewards program.
With the cashback program, you simply log in and follow the prompts to redeem. You can even set it up to automatically get your cash back. You can use your cash back for statement credits, a check, gift cards or donate to charity.
With the Capital One travel rewards program, you earn miles for all purchases and you get a sign-up bonus as well. A big advantage to the Capital One travel rewards program is that you aren't tied down by loyalty to brands, and you aren't limited to rewards for specific types of purchases. And there's no transferring points.
You can use your miles for travel in the past 90 days, book new travel through Capital One, gift cards, a check or you can transfer them to another account. One plus about Capital One Venture cards: You always get 1:1 for travel redemption of miles. Redemption even includes spending on Airbnb and Uber.
Other benefits of having Capital One cards
From no foreign transaction fee to travel accident insurance, Capital One cards offer a plethora of benefits, including travel and retail; apps and digital services; and security. Here's what this bank issuer offers:
Travel and retail
- No foreign transaction fees – no Capital One card has a foreign transaction fee, a savings of 3%-5% per foreign transaction
- 24-hour travel assistance – get an emergency replacement card and a cash advance
- Auto rental collision damage waiver – an eligible vehicle is covered for damage due to theft or collision
- Travel accident insurance – covered losses at no extra charge
- Extended warranty – additional warranty at no extra charge
Apps and digital services
- Mobile app – allows you to manage your account on the go
- CreditWise – monitor your credit, even if you aren't a Capital One customer
- Eno – allows you to keep tabs on your account with texting, checking your balance, reviewing transactions and paying your bill
- Security and account alerts – get alerts by phone, email or text
- Fraud coverage – $0 fraud liability
In summary, here are out top picks again:
Best Capital One credit cards of 2018