Whether you’re looking for free shipping, online grocery delivery or cash back on your next takeout order, we’ve got the best credit cards for online purchases.
Whether you’re looking for free shipping, online grocery delivery or cash back on your next takeout order, we’ve got the best credit cards for online purchases. After you’ve browsed our list, keep scrolling for tips on how to earn the most rewards for your online purchases and how to stay safe while shopping online.
American Express Gold Card: Best for grocery pickup and delivery
Why we picked it: While the annual fee of the American Express® Gold Card may seem intimidating, the rewards will more than make up for it for shoppers who are looking for perks on their weekly grocery delivery or pickup. Cardholders earn 4 points per dollar at all U.S. supermarkets, which makes it more flexible to use than store-branded credit cards.
- Introductory bonus of 60,000 points when you spend $4,000 in the first six months
- 4X points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 in purchases per calendar year, then 1 point per dollar)
- 4X points at restaurants
- Free enrollment in ShopRunner
- $250 annual fee
- Rewards subject to yearly spending cap
Who should apply: If you spend a lot on groceries and food delivery, this card can be a lucrative rewards option. Other notable perks include free enrollment in ShopRunner for cardholders who prioritize food delivery.
Who should skip: People who don’t want to pay a costly annual fee should consider another option.
Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card: Best for free shipping
Why we picked it: If you love shopping on Amazon.com and want your purchases delivered really quickly – and don’t mind footing a $119 fee for Prime membership – the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card is the way to go.
- 5% back on Amazon.com and Whole Foods purchases
- 2% back on restaurant, gas station and drug store purchases
- Free two-day shipping
- $150 Amazon gift card upon credit card application approval
- Amazon Prime membership ($119 a year) required to qualify
- No option to transfer rewards
Who should apply: Shoppers looking for fast and free shipping will like this card. If you’re already an Amazon Prime member, this card is a good pick as you won’t be surprised by the membership fee.
Who should skip: If you aren’t a Prime member (and don’t plan on using Amazon frequently), the $119 membership fee may not be worth the card’s rewards.
Citi Double Cash Card: Best for simplicity
Why we picked it: While there are other credit cards out there that have higher rewards rates, many of them are subject to rotating categories, exclusions or rewards caps that can make them a pain to use. If you’re a credit card enthusiast who loves to play the rewards game, more power to you. But if you’re looking for a card that will reward you for your online shopping with little effort, the Citi® Double Cash Card is a great choice.
- Earn 1% back on all purchases, plus an additional 1% back when you pay your balance
- Transfer your cash back to Citi ThankYou points at a rate of $1 cash back to 100 ThankYou points
- No annual fee
- Rewards expire if the card is not used for 12 months
Who should apply: If you don’t want to keep up with rotating rewards categories or exclusions, the flat cash back rate makes this card simple to use while still earning competitive rewards.
Who should skip: If you don’t mind keeping up with rotating categories, there are cards that offer higher rewards rates.
Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards credit card: Best for flexible online purchases
Why we picked it: If you don’t want to be stuck purchasing from one major retailer and want to be able to earn bonus rewards on online purchases all through the year, the Bank of America® Customized Cash Rewards credit card is a good option for flexibility.
- 3% cash back on a category of choice (including online purchases)
- 2% cash back on grocery store and wholesale club purchases
- $200 online cash rewards if you spend $1,000 in first 90 days
- No annual fee
- $2,500 combined limit on 2% and 3% categories each quarter
- Rewards limited to cash back
Who should apply: People who shop with a wide range of online retailers might be a good fit for this one.
Who should skip: If you’re a superstore loyalist and most of your purchases are made at Target, Walmart or Amazon, there are store cards that can earn more.
Discover it Cash Back: Best for seasonal shopping
Why we picked it: The Discover it® Cash Back card’s 5% discount on online purchases arrives once a year – usually in the fourth quarter. The bonus covers all three major retailers – Walmart, Target and Amazon – giving you lots of flexibility.
- 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in purchases in rotating categories each quarter (activation required), then 1%
- 1% cash back on general purchases
- Matches cash back at the end of the first year of card membership
- No annual fee
- Rotating rewards categories tricky to keep track of and require activation
- Spending cap on your 5% cash back each quarter
Who should apply: People who want to maximize their rewards and don’t mind putting in a little work to do so will like this card.
Who should skip: Shoppers who want a flat-rate rewards card for simplicity should probably look elsewhere.
Comparing the best cards for online shopping
|Rewards on online purchases
|American Express Gold Card
|4X points at U.S. supermarkets (including delivery or pickup), free enrollment in ShopRunner
|Earn 60,000 points when you spend $4,000 in the first 6 months
|Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card
|5% back on Amazon.com
|$0 ($119 Prime membership required)
|$150 Amazon gift card upon approval
|Citi Double Cash Card
|1% back on all purchases with an additional 1% back when you pay your balance
|Limited time offer: earn $200 cash back after spending $1,500 on purchases in the first 6 months
|0% intro APR for 18 months on balance transfers then 16.99% to 26.99% variable APR thereafter
|Discover it Cash Back
|5% cash back on Amazon.com, Target.com and Walmart.com purchases for Q4 2022 after enrollment (up to $1,500 in purchases, then 1%)
|Cash back match at the end of the first year
|0% intro APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers then 14.99% to 25.99% variable APR thereafter
|Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards credit card
|3% cash back on online purchases (when activated)
|$200 online cash reward when you spend $1,000 in the first 90 days
|0% intro APR for 18 billing cycles for purchases and balance transfers made within the first 60 days then 16.99% to 26.99% variable APR thereafter
How to choose a card for online shopping
If you are trying to find the best credit card for online shopping, there are a few main factors to consider:
- Welcome bonus: You can often earn a big chunk of rewards on a card by meeting the spend requirement for the welcome bonus. If your normal expenses won’t help you hit that threshold, avoid spending more than you can afford just to get there. Consider timing your application to coincide with a big purchase you’ve already budgeted for, like new furniture or a vacation.
- Earnings rate: Evaluate your spending habits and look for a card that offers generous rewards on categories you’re going to be spending in anyway.
- Free or expedited shipping: Some credit cards offer free or expedited shipping, which is a real selling point for cards that reward you for your online shopping.
- Annual fee: Many – but not all – top rewards cards are subject to an annual fee. Before applying for a new credit card, decide if the annual fee is worth it.
Since many of us make a lot more purchases online than we used to, it’s worth asking whether you can benefit from a credit card that specifically rewards online spending.
Choose the right card and get up to 5% cash back on online purchases at your favorite retailer – or take advantage of perks like free shipping or rewards on grocery delivery or takeout. Don’t forget to practice safe online shopping habits and check your statement regularly to ensure that you’re the only person using your credit card online.
All information about the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature card has been collected independently by CreditCards.com and has not been reviewed by the issuer. This card is not currently available through CreditCards.com.