If you’re running a small business, getting a high-limit business credit card can give you the flexibility to make business purchases when you need to, instead of waiting for cash to arrive in your bank account. Here are some of the best options.
What could your small business do with a generous credit limit?
Would you be able to invest in some better equipment, launch a new advertising campaign or make that big purchase you’ve been putting off? Maybe you could save money by booking business travel ahead of time, instead of waiting until you had enough cash in the bank account to cover the costs of the trip – or use your business credit card to help you through a low cash-flow month.
A good business credit card can be just as crucial to your business’s success as a trusted employee or a loyal customer. Here are some of the best options for high -imit business credit cards that also offer cash back, travel rewards, startup perks and more.
Best high-limit business credit cards
- Best for expanded buying power: The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express
- Best for cash back: Capital One Spark Cash Plus
- Best for business travel: The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
- Best for startups: Brex 30 Card
The Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express: Best for expanded buying powerIf you’re looking for all the benefits of a business credit card plus the freedom to spend beyond your credit limit when you need it, consider The Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express.
This no-annual-fee business credit card offers Amex’s “Expanded Buying Power” benefit, giving you the ability to spend past your credit limit (approved on a case-by-case basis) without penalty, as long as you pay at least the minimum plus any amount you spend over your credit limit every month.
You’ll also earn 2 Membership Rewards points per dollar on your first $50,000 in purchases per year and 1 point per dollar afterward. Plus, you’ll get a 0% intro APR for 12 months from date of account opening on purchases (13.24% to 19.24% variable thereafter), making the Blue Business Plus card an ideal tool to help fund your business’s startup costs – or provide the financing required to take your business to the next level.
Here’s a quick summary of what you’ll get with the Blue Business Plus Credit Card:
- 2 points per dollar on everyday business purchases such as office supplies or client dinners, for up to $50,000 in purchases per year
- 1 point per dollar on all other purchases
- 15,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $3,000 in eligible purchases on the card within your first 3 months of card membership
- 0% intro APR on purchases for the first 12 months from date of account opening (13.24% to 19.24% variable thereafter)
- Free employee cards, which also earn rewards on eligible spending
Capital One Spark Cash for Business: Best for cash back
If you want a business credit card that gives you both a high credit limit and the ability to earn cash back as you spend toward that limit, try the Capital One Spark Cash Plus. This card earns an unlimited 2% cash back on all purchases, plus a $500 cash bonus if you spend $5,000 in the first three months after you open your account. An additional $500 cash bonus is also on offer if you spend $50,000 in the first six months of opening the account.
The Spark Cash Plus is also a great option if you have additional team members who make purchases on behalf of your business. Employee cards are free, and each employee card earns unlimited 2% cash back on all purchases.
The Capital One Spark Cash for Business includes a $150 annual fee, but this can be offset by the rewards you get. Here’s a roundup of everything the Spark Cash for Business has to offer:
- Unlimited 2% cash back for your business on every purchase, everywhere, no limits or category restrictions
- $500 cash bonus once you spend $5,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, and an additional $500 bonus if you spend $50,000 in the first six months
- Free employee cards, which also earn unlimited 2% cash back on all purchases
The Capital One Spark Cash for Business is a flat-rate cash back card, which means you earn the same amount of cash back no matter what you purchase. This is a charge card, which means you pay off your balances in full each statement period.
The Business Platinum Card from American Express: Best for business travel
The Business Platinum Card from American Express has no preset spending limit and is an excellent option if you need a high-limit business credit card. Unlike typical credit cards, the Business Platinum allows you to carry a balance for certain charges, but not all.
The Business Platinum Card is also a good option if you spend a lot of money on business travel, offering 5 points per dollar on flights and prepaid hotels purchased through amextravel.com, as well as additional travel perks like an annual $200 airline fee statement credit and the opportunity to get 35% of your points back when you use Membership Rewards Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline. Plus, you’ll get airport lounge access through the American Express Global Lounge Collection.
Of course, all of these perks come at a price – a $595 annual fee ($695 if application is received on or after 1/13/2022). But here’s a peek at what you can earn from the Business Platinum Card:
- 5 points per dollar on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com
- 50% more Membership Rewards points – an extra half point per dollar – on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more, and on eligible purchases in key business categories (on up to $2 million of these purchases per calendar year)
- 1 point per dollar on other purchases
- 120,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases within your first 3 months of card membership
- 35% airline bonus: Use Membership Rewards Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline and get 35% of the points back, for up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year when a flight is booked on amextravel.com.
- Get a statement credit of up to $200 per calendar year for baggage fees and other incidentals.
- Enroll to get up to $400 in statement credits annually (up to $200 from January to June and up to $200 from July to December) for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
Brex 30 Card: Best for startups
For a qualified startup business, this card is a winner as there are no credit checks to be approved. The flexibility of this card is also noteworthy, as more businesses are remote due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Brex 30 Card introduced perks allowing businesses to save on remote work-friendly categories like Zoom and Slack.
What’s important for cardholders to understand is that this Brex Card is not a revolving credit card, but instead a charge card without a spending limit. Businesses must make sure they have enough cash flow to sustain this type of account.
The Brex card boasts great rewards. Here are some of them:
- 7 points per dollar on rideshares, like Uber and Lyft
- 4 points per dollar on Brex travel purchases
- 3 points per dollar on restaurants and on Apple products purchased via Brex portal
- 2 points per dollar on recurring software purchases
- 1 points per dollar on everything else
- Access enhanced rewards rates by paying your account balance daily
You can also get discounts and credits on services like Zoom, Slack, Amazon Web Services and Dropbox. Brex estimates these savings could add up to more than $150,000 in value.
Plus, you’ll get access to startup-friendly tools like automated receipt capture, expense matching and reconciliation and built-in integrations with QuickBooks and other accounting software. You can instantly add new employees and issue them virtual cards, enabling everyone on your team to help you grow your business.
Why get a high-limit business card?
If you’re running a small business, you need a top business credit card. Getting a high-limit business credit card can give you the flexibility to make business purchases when you need to, instead of waiting for cash to arrive in your bank account. This, in turn, will help you make smart spending decisions, take advantage of discounts, invest in your business’s growth and use the power of credit to help you achieve your small-business dreams.