|Business Rating:||3.8 / 5|
|Annual Percentage Rate||5.0|
|Issuer Customer Experience||5.0|
In a Nutshell:
The American Express Blue Business Cash Card comes with a major selling point: 2 percent cash back on your first $50,000 of purchases each year (then 1%) for no annual fee.
$250 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months
Average Yearly Rewards Value ($4,000 monthly spend)
American Express Customer Service Ratings
Other Notable Features: Flexible spending limit, Working Capital Terms, car rental insurance, roadside assistance hotline, baggage insurance, Global Assist hotline, travel accident insurance, free employee cards, free business expense tracking tools, connect to QuickBooks, year-end expense summary, business owners forum, account alerts, online statements, extended warranties, purchase protection, dispute resolution, American Express Offers
Small business owners looking for a simple cash back card that offers a consistently high rate of cash back should take a close look at the American Express Blue Business Cash Card. The business cash back card comes with some outstanding features, including cash flow solutions and 2 percent cash back on your first $50,000 in purchases each year (then 1 percent) and, all for no annual fee.
Earning cash back
One of the best reasons to apply for the Blue Business Cash Card is its cash back rewards program. The card offers 2 percent cash back on your first $50,000 in purchases each year (1 percent cash back thereafter), making it one of the most rewarding cash back cards for small business owners.
While there are a few other business credit cards, including the Capital One Spark Cash for Business card, that offer a 2 percent cash back rate, the Blue Business Cash Card holds the advantage in that it offers a superlative cash back rate for no annual fee.
Though the 2 percent cash back rate is capped at $50,000 each year and then drops to 1 percent, that’s a pretty generous cap for a small business, amounting to $1,000 in rewards each year if you hit the cap exactly.
Redeeming cash back
Many business owners, who have their hands full juggling a business, prefer the simplicity of cash back rewards. The Blue Business Cash card makes earning and redeeming rewards utterly simple – not only do you earn the same rate of cash back on every purchase, but you don’t have to put any thought into redeeming your cash back. Once you pay your balance, the rewards earned on that balance are automatically applied as a statement credit at the end of the next billing cycle.
Solid welcome bonus
Along with the rewards you’ll earn by spending with the Blue Business Cash card, you can now enjoy a generous welcome bonus: You’ll earn a $250 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in your first 3 months. Not only is this good news given the card previously offered no welcome bonus, but it’s also pretty generous for a no annual fee business card, particularly one that offers such a high flat cash back rate.
Still, if earning a big bonus is important to you, this card may fall short of some of the competition. The Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card, for example, currently features a $750 bonus after you spend $7,500 in your first three months. Along with the much higher spending requirement, the catch is that card only gets you 1.5% cash back, instead of 2% back on your first $50,000 in spending with the Blue Business Cash.
We generally recommend cardholders focus more on long-term value than short-term bonuses, so the Blue Business Cash card would likely still be the better choice thanks to its higher ongoing rewards rate. That said, to earn $750 in cash back with the Blue Business Cash card, you’d need to spend $37,500 with the card. Depending on how long you plan to stick with your new business card, that perspective could sway your decision.
Manage your cash flow
Aside from its cash back rewards program, the Blue Business Cash card is a great option for small business owners seeking to create cash flow for a new or expanding business, thanks to several handy financing features:
- 0 percent introductory APR – If you’re looking to finance a major purchase for your business at a low interest rate, the Blue Business Cash card could be worth applying for. Cardholders get a generous 0-percent introductory APR on new purchases for the first 12 months from date of account opening (13.24-19.24 percent variable APR thereafter).
- Flexible credit limit – The Blue Business Cash card allows you to spend over your credit limit without penalty and to earn rewards on that spend, as long as you pay off the over-limit amount plus your minimum payment by the due date (remember, the amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to American Express and other factors). Terms apply.
- Working Capital Terms – Cardholders can apply for working capital terms after the first six months of membership. Upon enrollment, you can request Amex to pay your vendors up front, and then reimburse the costs in 30, 60 or 90 days.
There are a ton of useful benefits that come with this card, which is surprising since there’s no annual fee. Travel perks include car rental loss and damage insurance, roadside assistance hotline, baggage insurance, a Global Assist hotline and travel accident insurance.
The card also offers an array of business-specific benefits, including free employee cards, free business expense tracking tools, integration with QuickBooks, a year-end expense summary, access to a forum just for business owners, account alerts and online statements. Finally, you’ll get extended warranties, purchase protection, dispute resolution, and access to special savings opportunities with American Express Offers.
Who should apply for the Blue Business Cash Card?
- Small business owners who want an especially rewarding cash back rewards card.
- Business owners who prefer a simple rewards card that allows them to focus on their business.
- Start-ups and other small businesses looking for cash flow solutions.
How to use the Blue Business Cash Card
- Use the card for all your business purchases to earn a high rate of cash back (then consider switching to another card once you hit your $50,000 limit).
- Take advantage of the card’s introductory APR on purchases to finance a purchase for your business.
- Sign up for free employee cards to rack up cash back on your employees’ purchases.
- Check in after six months to see if you’re eligible for the card’s Working Capital Terms.
Is the Blue Business Cash Card worth it?
If you love the simplicity of cash back rewards and you’re looking for one of the most rewarding cash back cards for a small business, the Blue Business Cash card could be the way to go. Also, if you’re a small business owner strapped for cash, the Blue Business Cash card offers a suite of great financing features. With the card’s introductory APR on purchases, flexible credit limit and Working Capital Terms, you could give your business the funding it needs to get off the ground.
For rates and fees of the American Express Blue Business Cash Card, please click here.
Our reviews and best card recommendations are based on an objective rating process and are not driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy
All reviews are prepared by CreditCards.com staff. Opinions expressed therein are solely those of the reviewer and have not been reviewed or approved by any advertiser. The information, including card rates and fees, presented in the review is accurate as of the date of the review. Check the data at the top of this page and the bank’s website for the most current information.
Responses to comments in the discussion section below are not provided, reviewed, approved, endorsed or commissioned by our financial partners. It is not our partner’s responsibility to ensure all posts or questions are answered.