More spending power can be beneficial for your credit – and your budget. With Citi, requesting a bigger credit limit only takes a few minutes.
Citi is a CreditCards.com advertising partner.
A higher credit limit can be beneficial for your financial health in a few ways. It can positively impact your credit, provide you with more spending power and allow you to earn more rewards.
Requesting a higher credit line with Citi is simple – all you have to do is contact the issuer. However, there are some things you need to keep in mind before doing so, as well as possible consequences.
Read on to find everything you should know about requesting a credit limit increase with Citi.
Like many issuers, Citi doesn’t provide specific eligibility requirements, but there are guidelines you can follow no matter who you’re banking with.
Always pay your bills on time. If you’re late on your credit card payments, the issuer might see it as a sign you have difficulty handling debt.
Pay more than the minimum due. This can demonstrate that you don’t take on more debt than you can afford.
Have the account open for at least six months. The longer you’ve had your Citi credit card open, the more time you’ve had to demonstrate your creditworthiness.
It’s also a good idea to wait at least six months before requesting more credit again if you’ve already done it. Asking for a higher credit limit too often may signal to the issuer that you’re under financial stress.
Before you request a credit limit increase
Requesting a credit limit increase may only take minutes, but before you contact Citi, make sure you have all the needed information.
First things first, determine how much of an increase you’re going to ask for. It’s possible that the issuer can double your credit line, but it’s probably not the best approach to request such a significant boost to your spending power. Citi might see it as a desperate move, so instead, you might want to try to start with a 10% to 20% increase.
Another question your issuer is likely to ask you is why you’re requesting more credit. That’s something you should also ask yourself: Do you want a higher credit limit because you’re building your credit? Are you looking to finance a big purchase? Has your income changed, allowing you to spend more?
It’s important not to get a higher credit limit just to accumulate debt you can’t afford to pay.
Finally, consider checking your credit before asking for a limit increase. Citi is likely to take a look at your credit report before making a decision, so it’s best to know what the issuer will see. Having negative items on your credit may result in your request being denied.
Process for requesting a credit limit increase
Once you know where you stand credit-wise and are prepared to make your case, it’s time to contact the issuer.
There are several ways you can get a credit limit increase with Citi.
Automatic credit limit increases
It’s possible that Citi will increase your credit line automatically. The bank regularly reviews accounts, and if you’ve demonstrated responsible use of the card, you may score a bigger credit line without having to contact the issuer.
Periodic account reviews usually start after the account has been open for at least six months.
Requesting a higher credit limit online
Probably the easiest way to request a higher credit line with Citi is to do it online. Start by logging into your online account and follow these steps:
- Click “services” and find “credit card services.”
- Under the Card Management menu, click “request a credit limit increase.”
- If you have multiple accounts with Citi, choose the one for which you’d like to get a higher limit.
- Enter the required information and click “continue.”
- After this, you’ll be prompted to confirm the information you’ve entered. If everything looks correct, submit the request by clicking “continue.”
Calling customer service
You can also call the number on the back of your card to ask for a bigger credit line. While it may seem less convenient than simply requesting online, talking to a Citi representative gives you an opportunity to argue your case.
Prepare all the required information and know what you’re going to say. When you’re speaking to the representative, mention why a higher credit limit would make sense in your situation. Maybe your income has increased, or you’re planning on transferring a balance. If you’ve been with Citi for a while and have paid your bills responsibly, bring that up to show you’re a reliable borrower.
What to do if your request is denied
Even though it’s easy to request a credit limit increase with Citi, there’s no guarantee your request will be approved.
If it isn’t, don’t worry – just make sure to ask the customer service representative why it’s been denied and what you can do to improve your chances in the future.
Here’s some advice to help you score a higher credit line next time:
- Work on building your credit. Your credit history is always the main indicator of your creditworthiness.
- Pay down credit card debt on your accounts with Citi and any other issuers.
- Make sure to use the card regularly. Citi might not find it reasonable to up the credit limit on a card you don’t use frequently.
- Keep your income information current. This can help you demonstrate positive changes in your financial situation when your income increases.
- Ask for more credit during a different time of year. According to a TransUnion study, credit limit increases are more common between January and May.
- Consider applying for another card with the same bank if you need access to more credit.
Pros and cons of a higher credit limit
If you’re not sure if it’s a good time for you to request more credit, here are some advantages and downsides of a credit limit increase for you to consider.
- If you keep your spending low, a higher credit line can lower your credit utilization ratio – and help your credit scores.
- You’ll have more spending power to fund large purchases and pay them off over time.
- You’ll be able to earn more rewards if you spend more on the card.
- If you ask for a higher credit limit than your original request is granted, it can trigger a hard pull.
- A higher credit limit might lead to overspending if you’re not mindful about it.
Requesting a higher credit line can be an excellent strategy if you’re working to improve your credit or looking to fund a large purchase.
If you’re a Citi cardholder, more credit can be one call or online form away. Just have all the required information prepared, and make sure a limit increase makes sense in your situation.