Chase has launched a new version of the United Explorer card that offers 40,000 bonus miles and a $100 statement credit for new applicants through Aug. 15, 2018.
Update: The offers below may have expired.Chase has launched a new version of the United Explorer card that includes a 2-mile bonus on restaurant purchases and hotel stays. Additionally, new cardholders who apply by Aug. 15, 2018, can earn a 40,000-mile sign-up bonus and a $100 statement credit.
Here are the updates at a glance:
- New look – The card features a new design.
- Increased sign-up bonus – Along with earning 40,000 miles after $2,000 spend, new cardholders can earn 25,000 additional miles after spending $10,000 in the first six months.
- Increased rewards rate – Cardholders receive 2 miles per dollar on hotel stays and restaurant purchases.
- $100 application credit – Cardholders receive a $100 statement credit when applying for Global Entry or TSA Precheck.
- 25 percent discount – The card offers a 25 percent discount on in-flight purchases, including Wi-Fi and food purchases.
- Removal of price protection – The card no longer offers price protection, which previously covered the difference in price if an item had a lower advertised price within 90 days of purchasing it.
- Removal of return protection – The card no longer offers return protection, which previously reimbursed you for eligible items that a store wouldn’t take back within 90 days of purchase.
- Decreased trip cancellation coverage – Chase has decreased the card’s trip cancellation coverage to $1,500.
Existing cardholders will will automatically be upgraded to the new offer.
Comparing United Explorer card offers
In addition to earning 2 miles per dollar on hotel stays and restaurant purchases, cardholders will continue to earn 2 miles per dollar tickets purchased from United and 1 mile per dollar on general purchases. See how the new offer compares to the previous offer in the table below:
|Updated offer||Previous offer|
|Annual fee||$95, waived first year||$95, waived first year|
Should you apply now?
If you’re interested in earning an influx of miles to use toward summer travel, now is a good time to sign up for the United Explorer card.
See related: Earn 40,000 bonus miles and a $100 statement credit with the Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card, United MileagePlus Dining guide, MileagePlus X: A unique, mobile way to earn miles on United