Chase and Starbucks have unveiled a new credit card that lets you earn rewards on everything you buy – both in Starbucks stores and anywhere Visa is accepted.
Calling all coffee lovers: Chase and Starbucks have unveiled a new credit card that lets you earn rewards for every purchase you make. In turn, those rewards – known as “Stars” – can be redeemed for food and beverages at more than 8,000 participating Starbucks locations.
“It’s important to us to make earning Rewards as easy for our customers as possible,” explained executive vice president and chief strategy officer for Starbucks, Matt Ryan. “The Starbucks Rewards Visa Card is a powerful tool for us to do that because of how easily it fits into their daily lives.”Other Starbucks Rewards Visa perks include:
- 2,500 Stars when you spend $500 in the first three months of card membership
- 250 Stars the first time you use your Starbucks Rewards Visa to load your registered Starbucks card within the Starbucks mobile app
- Complimentary Gold loyalty program status
- Eight curated food or beverage rewards picked by baristas and automatically loaded to your account
Stacking your rewards
If you’re a Starbucks lover, chances are you’re already a member of the Starbucks Rewards loyalty program. Along with giving members two Stars per dollar on Starbucks items, the loyalty program offers exclusive perks, such as a yearly birthday benefit, free in-store refills and the ability to order ahead.
Even better: Starbucks Visa cardholders can stack the Stars they earn from their credit card with the Stars from the loyalty program to earn even more rewards.
If you’re not already a loyalty member – no worries. You will automatically be enrolled once you are approved for the Starbucks Rewards Visa. Or, you can simply sign up here.
|Starbucks Rewards Visa card|
Why use it?If you frequent Starbucks on a daily or even weekly basis, the Starbucks Rewards Visa could be a good fit for you. In addition to the extra Stars you can earn from stacking your rewards, the credit card offers up to 2,750 bonus Stars and Gold loyalty status.
|Estimated Yearly Rewards Value ($15,900 spend)|
Although Star rewards are very valuable – we value them at approximately 3.4 cents per Star – the redemption options are extremely limited. Star rewards can only be redeemed for food and beverage purchases at Starbucks.
Typically, Starbucks Rewards loyalty members must earn 300 Stars within a 12-month period to be elevated to gold status. However, Starbucks Rewards Visa cardholders automatically receive gold status, entitling them to all the benefits of the basic, “green” membership, and then some.
Gold level benefits include a personalized gold Starbucks loyalty card and one complimentary drink or food item for every 125 Stars you earn. You will also be eligible for one Double-Star Day each month, letting you earn double the amount of Stars from your Starbucks loyalty card at participating locations on that day.
Best ways to use the Starbucks Rewards Visa
To maximize your rewards earnings, we recommend the following:
- Spend $500 on your Starbucks Rewards Visa within the first three months of card membership to receive the 2,500-Star sign-up bonus.
- Use your Starbucks Visa to load your registered Starbucks card within the Starbucks mobile app to receive 250 bonus Star rewards.
- Rewards expire six months after earning them, so be sure to redeem your Stars before that time.
- Load money from your Starbucks Rewards Visa card onto the mobile app to receive the full three Stars per dollar on Starbucks purchases.
- Purchase beverages and food at Starbucks on Double-Star Days to maximize your rewards earnings.
Should you apply?
Let’s face it – purchasing coffee, tea or food from Starbucks can be pricey. So if grabbing a coffee or muffin from Starbucks is a part of your daily routine, the ability to earn free beverages and food from your everyday spending could be beneficial. But if you are an infrequent Starbucks-goer, signing up for the card won’t be worth it due to the $49 annual fee. Instead, you will be better off simply collecting rewards and special offers through Starbuck’s loyalty program.
If you do decide to opt for the Starbucks Visa, you will receive your physical card in the mail seven to 10 days after being approved. The digital version, however, will be available instantly through the Starbucks mobile app – so you’ll be able to start earning rewards immediately.