American Express has announced several exciting new features for Platinum card members, slated to launch March 30, 2017.
American Express has announced several new features for on-the-go Platinum card members. Slated to launch March 30, 2017, these enhancements are aimed at assisting card members with their travels by offering premium benefits and services.The updated Platinum card, which will be introduced in the form of a newly designed, sleek metal card, will include the following benefits:
- $200 in Uber credits – The new “Uber Rides with Platinum” feature will give Platinum card members up to $200 in Uber credits per year for rides in the U.S. as well as Uber VIP status where available. Terms apply.
- 5X Membership Rewards – Platinum card members will receive 5 points for each dollar they spend on prepaid hotel bookings through amextravel.com. This is in addition to the 5 points per dollar they already earn on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel.
- Gold cards with no annual fee – Platinum card members will have the ability to add additional Gold cards to their Platinum card accounts without incurring annual fees for the Gold cards. Platinum card members will earn Membership Rewards on purchases made by their additional card members.
Expanding global and travel services
In addition to increasing the rewards benefits, American Express is also expanding the collection of global services available to Platinum card members.
- Global Lounge Collection – Platinum card members will have access to the ever-growing Global Lounge Collection, which is comprised of more than 1,000 American Express and partner airport lounges in over 500 cities throughout 120 countries. This will include Centurion Lounge locations in Hong Kong and Philadelphia, which are scheduled to open later this year.
- Global Dining Collection – American Express is launching a new Global Dining Collection, which will provide Platinum card members with access to one-of-a-kind dining experiences, invitation-only pop-up restaurants, exclusive reserved seating and other culinary events with world-renowned chefs.
- By Invitation Only – Platinum card members can enjoy premium access to even more events in top destinations around the world through the By Invitation Only program. Upcoming events include the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs in Louisville, the Grand Prix de Monaco in Monte Carlo and the VIP Experience at The Wimbledon Club in London.
- Hotel benefits – Cardholders who book their stay at a fine hotel or resort property through American Express Travel will enjoy perks such as complimentary daily breakfast for two, room upgrades when available, guaranteed 4 p.m. checkouts, and noon check-ins when possible.
- Amex Mobile app – Through the Amex Mobile app, Platinum members will have access to concierge, travel and customer care professionals. The app will also include a tool to assist card members in locating lounges within the Global Lounge Collection.
The new Platinum card features will be the latest addition to a growing number of benefits that were recently launched to compete with other premium travel rewards cards, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve card and the Citi Prestige card. Current Platinum card benefits include a $200 airline fee credit, free access to Wi-Fi hotspots, a fee credit for the Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application and no foreign exchange fees. Cardholders also receive Starwood Preferred Guest Gold membership and Hilton HHonors Gold Status.
Because the American Express Platinum card is a premium card, it does carry a hefty annual fee of $450, which will increase to $550 with the rollout of the new features. Also, it is a charge card, which means cardholders are required to pay their card balances in full each month.