Walmart Pay bills itself as “convenience in an app” and could help you skip the line, track spending, make returns and more.
Designed exclusively for Walmart shoppers, Walmart Pay is the company’s answer to mobile wallets like Apple Pay and Samsung Pay and is just one feature of the Walmart mobile app. Walmart Pay is available at over 4,600 Walmart stores across the country and makes it easier for customers to check out, track spending, make returns and more.
Here’s everything you need to know about Walmart Pay and the Walmart app.
A short guide to Walmart Pay
- What is Walmart Pay?
- Why should I use Walmart Pay?
- What’s the difference between Walmart Pay and the Walmart app?
- How do you set up Walmart Pay and add a card?
- How do you use Walmart Pay at checkout?
- Is Walmart Pay safe?
- What other features does the Walmart app offer?
- Does Walmart Pay still offer the Savings Catcher or price-matching?
- Can I use Walmart Pay at Sam’s Club?
- Can I use Walmart Pay for gas?
- Does Walmart take Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or other mobile wallets?
- Can I get cash back with Walmart Pay?
What is Walmart Pay?
Walmart Pay is Walmart’s addition to the growing mobile payment market. Like Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay and other popular mobile wallets, Walmart Pay lets you link your credit, debit and gift cards to your mobile device and use it to pay at checkout. But where other mobile wallets are accepted at a wide variety of stores, gas stations and even vending machines, Walmart Pay is only accepted at Walmart.
Why should I use Walmart Pay?
Walmart Pay’s main selling point is convenience. You can link your preferred payment methods to your mobile device and quickly scan to pay at checkout, avoiding the hassle of carrying a wallet full of cards. Or maybe your card always gives you trouble at the register. Just manually enter your credit card number into Walmart Pay and you should have a smoother checkout. Walmart Pay also has the unique ability to automatically save receipts in the Walmart app, making it easier for Walmart shoppers to track spending and return items. Additionally, if you have the Capital One Walmart Rewards Mastercard, you can earn bonus cash back for the first 12 months when you use Walmart Pay.
What’s the difference between Walmart Pay and the Walmart app?
You won’t find a standalone Walmart Pay app in the App Store or Google Play Store. Walmart Pay lives inside the Walmart app and is just one tool included in the app. The Walmart app and Walmart Pay work with both iOS and Android devices.
How do I set up Walmart Pay and add a card?
Setting up Walmart Pay is very simple and should only take a couple of minutes. All you need to get started is a Walmart.com account, the Walmart app and any credit, debit or gift cards you want to link to Walmart Pay. Walmart Pay cannot be directly linked to a bank account.
Here’s how to set up Walmart Pay and add a card, step-by-step:
- Download and launch the Walmart app.
- Tap Services from the list of features.
- Tap Walmart Pay.
- Tap the Get Started button
- Tap the Sign in or Create an Account button. If you already have a Walmart account, you can sign in using your email address and password. If not, tap Create an account to make one. You won’t need to leave the Walmart app.
- Once you’ve signed in, tap Credit or Debit Card.
- Use your device’s camera to capture your card information or, to enter it manually, tap Type card info instead.
- Enter your name, address, security code and other information.
- Tap Continue.
- Once your card information is saved, you are asked to create a four-digit PIN to use with all of Walmart’s secure services.
- Choose whether you’d like to use fingerprint ID instead of a PIN.
- To add more cards, simply tap the banner at the bottom of the screen, then tap Add Payment Methods and repeat the previous steps.
How do you use Walmart Pay at checkout?
As is the case with most mobile wallets, using Walmart Pay is pretty straightforward. Walmart Pay works at both staffed and self-checkout registers and you can use it at any point in a transaction – before, while or after you scan your items.
Here’s how to use Walmart Pay at checkout:
- Open the Walmart app and launch Walmart Pay.
- Enter your PIN or use fingerprint ID to log in.
- Aim your device’s camera at the QR code on the PIN reader or self-checkout screen.
- A sound or vibration on your device indicates that the QR code was scanned successfully, and an eReceipt is saved to your account.
Is Walmart Pay safe?
Security-conscious cardholders will be pleased to learn that Walmart Pay does not store card details on customers’ devices and none are exchanged at checkout. Additionally, since you need a PIN or fingerprint ID to use Walmart Pay, in-store fraud is unlikely.
Unlike other mobile payment services, however, Walmart does store payment information on its computer servers. This could be a concern, especially in the wake of data breaches at stores like Target, Macy’s and more.
What other features does the Walmart app offer?
Along with Walmart Pay, the Walmart app offers a number of convenient tools for Walmart shoppers, including a robust list-making feature, easy prescription refills and more.
Here are a just few useful Walmart app features:
- Lists: The Walmart app’s list-making tool is surprisingly powerful. Not only can you create a basic shopping list, you can type a simple phrase like “chips” into the app and it will search Walmart.com and your local store and return a list of relevant products. Even better, since lists are connected to the Walmart store map, you can quickly get an item’s price and precise location. You can also invite other users to add or edit your list.
- Barcode Scanner: A great feature should you happen upon a misplaced item or be unable to find an item’s price, the Walmart app’s barcode scanner lets you look up any barcode, QR code or Walmart shelf tag and instantly get pricing information and other details.
- Start a Return: If you used Walmart Pay to purchase an item, you’ll have your receipt automatically saved in the Walmart app. This allows you to use the Start a Return feature to initiate the return process before you head to the store. When you arrive, you can take a fast-track through the Customer Service line via the Mobile Express Lane. All you’ll have to do is scan the QR code displayed on the card reader and hand the item you’re returning to the store associate.
- Pharmacy: You can use the Walmart app to refill your prescription and you’ll get a notification when it’s ready. You can then start the payment process right from the app before you head to the store. When you arrive, you can skip the line at the standard pickup counter and use the Mobile Express Lane. Scan the QR code at the register and a pharmacy associate will bring you your order.
Does Walmart Pay still offer the Savings Catcher or price matching?
No. Regular Walmart shoppers may remember Walmart’s Savings Catcher, a popular price match tool integrated with Walmart Pay. After purchasing an item with Walmart Pay, you could submit receipts to the Savings Catcher and it would compare the price you paid to the advertised prices of other retailers in your area. If a competitor beat Walmart’s price, you’d automatically get the difference back as an eGift card.
Unfortunately, the Savings Catcher was discontinued in May of 2019, because, according to Walmart, it was no longer necessary since the store already offers the lowest prices in most cases.
Can I use Walmart Pay at Sam’s club?
No. Though Sam’s Club is owned and operated by Walmart Inc., Walmart Pay can only be used at Walmart stores.
See related: Best retail rewards credit cards
Can I use Walmart Pay for gas?
Does Walmart take Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or other mobile wallets?
However, you can use Chase Pay at Walmart.com. This is especially good news if you’re a Chase Freedom® cardholder, as Chase Pay regularly pops up as one of the card’s 5% cash back bonus categories (up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate, then 1%). Chase Pay was a bonus cash back option in Q4 of 2019, so keep an eye on the Chase Freedom 2020 cash back calendar. To take advantage, all you’ll need to do is link your Freedom card to Chase Pay and select Chase Pay at checkout.
Can I get cash back with Walmart Pay?
Yes. Walmart Pay is closely tied to Walmart’s new rewards cards, the Capital One Walmart Rewards Mastercard – a credit card that can be used anywhere Mastercard is accepted – and the Walmart RewardsTM Card – a store credit card which can only be used at Walmart and Sam’s Club stores and Fuel Stations.
The Capital One Walmart Rewards Mastercard offers 5% cash back on Walmart.com purchases, including grocery pickup and delivery. While in-store purchases earn just 2 percent cash back, you can earn the full 5% cash back rate for in-store purchases for the first 12 months you own the card if you use Walmart Pay. This 5 percent back rate also applies to the Walmart Rewards store card for purchases made in the first 12 months.
If you’re planning to use a different cash back credit card, however, you’ll need to check how your issuer classifies Walmart (whether as a grocery store, discount store or other) to be sure you’re getting the most out of your card’s rewards program.
See related: New Capital One Walmart cards: Are they worth it?