Read our comprehensive guide to United MileagePlus to learn about the best ways to earn, redeem and maximize United miles.
For world travelers looking to fly with miles, the United MileagePlus program may offer the best combination of travel options, value and flexibility in routing out of any airline loyalty program. Not only can you use miles on United’s worldwide fleet, but you have your choice of 37 airline partners to use your miles (as well as elite status benefits) on.
What is United MileagePlus?
United MileagePlus is the loyalty program of United Airlines, rewarding its frequent flyers with airline miles that they can redeem for awards, including free flights on United or one of its Star Alliance partners, gift cards, merchandise and more.
There are many advantages to the MileagePlus program: United’s flight network is huge, United’s award routing rules are a little more generous than average (allowing you to book a free stopover on certain itineraries), MileagePlus doesn’t add fuel surcharges to any of its flights and, best of all, United miles can be extremely valuable when used the right way.
There are a few drawbacks, too. There are many fees for booking, changing and canceling flights with United, including a booking fee of between 2,000 and 3,500 miles if you book with awards less than 30 days in advance. Even worse, these mileage booking fees even apply to MileagePlus members with elite status.
Also, MileagePlus Saver Awards – which can be a really great redemption value – are limited in availability. Meanwhile, United’s alternative to Saver Awards – Everyday Awards – are widely available but very expensive. United generally has a fair amount of Saver Awards available, but, still, if you don’t have the flexibility to check multiple dates and times, you might give the MileagePlus program a pass.
Read on for a full overview of the United MileagePlus program, including how to earn and redeem miles for the most value.
United program overview
|Type of currency||Miles|
|Average point value||1.50 cents|
|Credit cards||United TravelBank, United℠ Explorer Card, United Club℠ Infinite Card, United℠ Business Card, United Club Business Card|
|Redemption options||Airfare, airline statement credits, hotels, car rentals, cruises, TSA PreCheck credit, in-flight wi-fi credit, United Club membership, merchandise, gift cards, gas discounts, magazines/newspaper subscriptions, experiences, event awards, Broadway shows, restaurant gift cards, airport dining, charity|
|Minimum required to redeem||Varies|
|Do rewards expire?||No|
|Airline partners||25 Star Alliance partners and 12 additional partners|
|Flight coverage||Excellent. 19,000+ daily flights, 1,300+ destinations, 195+ countries|
- How much are United miles worth?
- Best United Airlines credit cards
- 12 ways to earn United miles
- Best ways to redeem United miles
- United Airlines partners
- United Airlines elite status benefits
- A guide to United Club lounges
- How to book a United flight with miles
- United MileagePlus Shopping guide
Latest offers from United:
- Earn up to 100,000 miles with United MileagePlus cards
- Earn up to 100,000 miles with United business cards
- Chase launches new United Club Infinite Card
- United offering waived change fees for travel in wake of coronavirus outbreak
Other news and advice:
- United MileagePlus dining guide
- Chase United Explorer card launches with airport gate giveaways
- MileagePlus X: A unique, mobile way to earn miles on United
- You can earn United frequent flyer miles at the gas station
- Delta SkyBonus, United PerksPlus and other business frequent flyer programs: How they work
- United MileagePlus members can now enjoy discounted CLEAR membership