Video: Tips for using mobile gift cards
Smartphone apps slim down your wallet, make giving easy
By Sienna Kossman | Published: May 21, 2015
Statistics enthusiast focused on data-driven content.
Gift cards are great, but they can sure fill up a wallet.
Mobile gift cards can slim down your billfold while keeping your gift cards safely password-protected.
Mobile wallets such as GoWallet and Gyft let you upload your plastic cards and keep track of all your balances in one place.
Mobile gift cards can make great last-minute gifts, too.
One birthday gift, coming right up.
You can buy mobile gift cards through some retailers who have apps, like Starbucks or Target, or through one of the gift card wallets.
Once I buy the card, I can email it through my phone, or even send it as a text. It shows up as a link the recipient can tap to bring up the card information.
To use a mobile gift card in an online store such as Amazon, the recipient can go directly to the shopping site from their phone, or enter the gift card number in a computer.
In a physical store, the cashier can scan the mobile card's bar code or enter the number manually.
Just keep in mind a couple of safety tips when buying and using mobile gift cards:
1. Buy gift cards from well-known, trustworthy sites. Otherwise, you could end up with an empty gift card or worse, identity theft.
2. Gift cards are like cash. Use any app passwords available and lock your phone, too.
3. When you get a text message saying you've received a gift card, double check with the giver. A lot of scammers send gift card messages that contain malware.
We're all attached to our smartphones anyway so why not use them to make the gift giving -- and spending -- process a bit easier? For more information, visit CreditCards.com. I'm Sienna Kossman.
Music for this piece:
- Video: How closing your card affects your credit score – With big sign-on bonuses tempting you towards new cards, you may wonder if it’s time to close out cards you no longer use. If you do plan on closing a credit card or two, be sure to follow these tips to keep your credit score in check ...
- Fashion meets mobile payments in the dressing room of the future – Mastercard and Marie Claire are unveiling the dressing room of the future, where consumers will be able to shop and pay using a "smart mirror." ...
- Video: 4 credit card reward hacks – Here are four of our favorite hacks to help you get the most out of every dollar you spend ...