Video: 4 ways to save money shopping online for the holidays
If you’ve ever experienced the shopping mobs on Black Friday, you may be like a growing number of gifters who are choosing a calmer way to ring in the holiday season: By themselves in a room, with a computer and a credit card.
“It’s more efficient," says Lauren Goldstein, an online shopper both during the holidays and the rest of the year. “I know what I want, I can go online, I can order it and I can keep going through my day."
Goldstein isn’t alone. Online shopping is growing every year, with three out of four Americans now using their mobile phones for at least some of their holiday shopping needs.
If you plan to do your shopping through a device, be sure to cash in on the savings available with these four tips
1. Before buying, sign up for a credit card with a large sign-up bonus.
Since this is a season in which we spend a lot in a short amount of time, consider signing up for a credit card that comes with a large sign-up bonus before doing your shopping. With all the gifts and other holiday expenses, you’ll likely meet the card's minimum spend pretty quickly and can gift yourself a hefty bonus in the process.
2. Use a cash back rewards card.
If you prefer cash over points, use a cash back rewards card when making your purchases, and look for stores and websites where you can maximize your percentage back.
3. Look for online coupons and rebates.
Websites and apps such as Ebates and Ibotta offer cash back on purchases at some stores, in addition to whatever rewards you get on your credit card. All you have to do is activate the deal online before making your purchase.
“I’ve gotten probably $100-plus back with them,” says Goldstein, referring to the Ebates Google Chrome extension she uses on her computer when shopping online.
4. Use shopping portals.
Finally, see if your card offers a shopping portal. They’re common among airline cards, but some other cards offer them, too. Shopping portals link you to most of the major stores, where you’ll still get the same deals, but you’ll get extra airline points in addition to whatever rewards your credit card gives you.
Make your shopping experience truly merry this year by keeping your stress levels and credit card debt down – sit back and cash in on deals from the comfort of your own home.
- Video: Maximizing points with off-peak travel – Peak season varies depending on where you want to travel. Make your points go further by booking travel during low season ...
- Video: Giving back with your card – Some credit cards let you donate your rewards to the charity of your choice, with no work on your part ...
- Card or cash? When traveling abroad, you often need both – Credit card or cash? When you travel abroad, you need both plastic and local currency, as some places take cards and some are cash only ...