United MileagePlus guide: The best ways to earn and use United miles
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we may receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy. The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. Please see the bank's website for the most current version of card offers; and please review our list of best credit cards to find our current offers, or use our CardMatchTM tool to find cards matched to your needs.
For world travelers looking to fly with miles, the United MileagePlus program may offer the best combination of travel options, value and flexibility in routing out of any airline loyalty program. Not only can you use miles on United’s worldwide fleet, but you have your choice of 39 airline partners to use your miles (as well as elite status benefits) on.
What is United MileagePlus?
United MileagePlus is the loyalty program of United Airlines, rewarding its frequent flyers with airline miles that they can redeem for awards, including free flights on United or one of its Star Alliance partners, gift cards, merchandise and more.
There are many advantages to the MileagePlus program: United’s flight network is huge, United’s award routing rules are a little more generous than average (allowing you to book a free stopover on certain itineraries), MileagePlus doesn’t add fuel surcharges to any of its flights and, best of all, United miles can be extremely valuable when used the right way.
There are a few drawbacks, too. There are many fees for booking, changing and canceling flights with United, including a $75 fee for booking awards less than 21 days in advance. Also, MileagePlus Saver Awards – which can be a really great redemption value – are limited in availability. Meanwhile, United’s alternative to Saver Awards – Everyday Awards – are widely available but very expensive.
United has a fair amount of Saver Awards scattered through its calendar, but, still, if you don’t have the flexibility to check multiple dates and times, you might give the MileagePlus program a pass.
Read on for a full overview of the United MileagePlus program, including how to earn and redeem miles for the most value.
United program overview
|Type of currency||Miles|
|Average point value||1.52 cents|
Explorer Card, United
MileagePlus Club Card, United MileagePlus Go, United MileagePlus Explorer
Business, United MileagePlus Club Business
airline statement credits, hotels, car rentals, cruises, TSA PreCheck credit,
in-flight wi-fi credit, United Club membership, merchandise, gift cards, gas
discounts, magazines/newspaper subscriptions, experiences, event awards,
Broadway shows, restaurant gift cards, airport dining, credit card annual fee
|Minimum required to redeem||8,000
miles for Saver Awards
|Do rewards expire?||After 18 months of no activity (earning or redeeming miles)
|Airline partners||28 Star
Alliance partners and 11 additional partners
daily flights, 1,300+ destinations, 190+ countries
- How much are United miles worth?
- Best United Airlines credit cards
- 12 ways to earn United miles
- Best ways to redeem United miles
- United Airlines partners
- United Airlines elite status benefits
- A guide to United Club lounges
- How to book a United flight with miles
- United MileagePlus Shopping guide
Latest offers from United:
Other news and advice:
- United MileagePlus dining guide
- Chase United Explorer card launches with airport gate giveaways
- MileagePlus X: A unique, mobile way to earn miles on United
- You can earn United frequent flyer miles at the gas station
- Delta SkyBonus, United PerksPlus and other business frequent flyer programs: How they work
- Cash back alternatives that compete with top travel cards – Though travel cards sometimes have a better point value, many cash back cards offer rewards rates that make them a better choice ...
- Guide to Priority Pass lounges – This huge collection of airport lounges is a plushy escape for frequent travelers ...
- Southwest Airlines debuts flights to Hawaii – Southwest Airlines has officially started selling tickets to Hawaii. Flights from California to Hawaii are scheduled to begin March 17, 2019, with inter-island routes launching in April ...