New Starwood Preferred Guest Luxury card offers 100K-point bonus
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy
American Express has added a new, premium rewards card to its Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) portfolio – the Starwood Preferred Guest® Luxury Card. Along with offering a 6-point bonus on SPG and Marriott hotel stays, the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card features a limited-time offer: Cardholders can earn 100,000 bonus points when they spend $5,000 in the first three months of card membership.
The 100,000-point introductory offer is scheduled to end Oct. 31, 2018.
Starwood Preferred Guest Luxury card details
Like many premium credit cards, the Starwood Preferred Guest Luxury card comes with a hefty annual fee. Fortunately, the card’s generous rewards rate and lavish benefits help offset its expensive price tag.
|Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card|
Why use it?
If you frequently stay at SPG and Marriott hotels, the Starwood Preferred Guest Luxury card offers a great opportunity to earn a large influx of points – thanks to its generous welcome bonus and rewards rate.
|Estimated Yearly Rewards Value ($75,000 spend)
Based on the average consumer who spends $75,000 each year on gas, food, clothing and general purchases, we estimate that you can get $1,433 worth of value from the Luxury card annually – which more than covers the $450 fee.
Additional card perks include:
- $300 in statement credits for purchases made at participating SPG and Marriott hotels
- One free night award each year after your account anniversary
- $100 statement credit for Global Entry credit or an $85 credit for TSA PreCheck
- Complimentary Priority Pass Select membership for two guests
- No foreign transaction fees
As a Luxury cardholder, you will also receive automatic Gold Elite status, which entitles you to a 25-percent bonus on base points and free room upgrades, among other benefits. Cardholders who spend $75,000 in a calendar year will be boosted up to Platinum Elite status.
Are you eligible for the welcome bonus?
American Express has placed several restrictions on who can receive the Luxury card’s welcome bonus, based on which Marriott cards you currently have or have had in the past. If any of the following applies to you, you will not be eligible for the Luxury card’s 100,000-point bonus offer:
|Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card||You currently have or have had any of the following cards in the past 30 days:
Or have acquired any of the following cards from Chase in the past 90 days:
Should you apply now?
With its lavish, 100,000-point welcome bonus, now is a great time to apply for the Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Luxury card. Just be sure to do so by Oct. 31, 2018, to take advantage of the limited-time bonus offer.
- Discover’s new business card pays 1.5 percent cash back on every purchase – The Discover it Business card is a great option for business owners who want a straightforward approach to earning rewards. In addition to offering 1.5 percent cash back on every purchase, the card matches all the cash back you earn in the first year ...
- Coming soon: Earn 60,000 bonus points with Chase Sapphire Banking – On the heels of the Sapphire Banking launch, Chase has unveiled plans to launch an exclusive offer to Chase Sapphire cardholders sometime in October 2018 ...
- 12 ways to earn Marriott points – Get an overview of the 12 best ways to earn Marriott points quickly ...