Sports fans, take note: Some cards get you discounts, access
Perks include reduced-price tickets, jersey insurance and 'suite' experiences
Specializes in family finances
Sports fans looking to save on team apparel, game tickets and even hot dogs at the concession stand sometimes need look no further than the credit cards in your wallets.
As credit card companies get more creative in offering exclusive access and experiences, issuers are rolling out discount tickets (30 percent off or buy one, get one, for example), jersey insurance and cardholder access to exclusive suites.
What could be better? Well, if your team plays in an arena or stadium bearing the name of your bank or card issuer, you might find it even more rewarding as a cardholder cheering on your favorite team from the stands.
Here are some current credit card perks for sports fans:
- Capital One cardholders can get discounted tickets and 10 percent off concession stand purchases to watch the NHL champion Capitals play (the same applies for Wizards fans) at the Capital One Arena. There’s even a VIP cardholder entrance for fans!
“We love being D.C.’s hometown bank, and we are fans just like the rest of the city,” says Marc Mentry, chief brand officer for Capital One. “We feel fortunate that Capital One Arena was home ice for this historic run and we’re #ALLCAPS!”
- Citi cardholders who are New York Mets fans can get buy one, get one tickets or save $10 on Sunday game tickets at Citifield. It’s all part of the Citi Perks program for cardholders.
- American Express: Ever buy your favorite player’s jersey only to find out a couple of weeks later that he’s been traded? With American Express’s partnership with Fanatics, you’ll get a new jersey of your choosing. An AmEx spokeswoman wouldn’t say how many free jerseys have been mailed in the weeks since LeBron James announced he was leaving the Cleveland Cavaliers for the Los Angeles Lakers.
Some AmEx cards also give you exclusive entry into special parts of the arena. For example, the Platinum Card® from American Express is your ticket into the Centurion Suite at Barclays Center in Brooklyn (home of the Nets) or the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles to see the Lakers.
- Chase cardholders can save 30 percent on Arizona Diamondbacks tickets at Chase Field (in select locations). And, if you spend $75 or more in the Chase Field Team Shop, you’ll receive a $25 D-backs gift card.
Wondering if your credit cards offer similar fan perks? Your best bet is to explore your card’s website to discover your cardholder benefits. You could very well have sports-related savings going unused.
If you’re a super fan and want to show your support every time you pay, research co-branded credit cards that sport your team’s logo and offer deals on fan-related purchases. Some of these sports rewards credit cards include NFL Extra Points Credit Card from Barclays, the NHL Discover it card, the MLB Cash Rewards Mastercard from Bank of America and the NASCAR card from Credit One Bank.
Of course, just because a credit card lets you show off your team affiliation doesn’t mean it’s necessarily the best pick for your wallet. It always makes sense to explore rewards card and cash back card options to find the one that offers the best benefits for your spending style.
- Chase Slate® credit card vs. Citi Simplicity® Card: Which is best for you? – While the Citi Simplicity card offers the longer interest-free promotion, the Chase Slate card may save you more on a balance transfer -- learn why ...
- How to save on a holiday trip to New York City – It's tough to beat the Big Apple when it comes to holiday cheer. Here's how you can book a holiday trip to New York City without cutting into your gift-buying budget ...
- 5 cardholders share how they earn and redeem rewards around the holidays – From traveling to exotic destinations on points to upping their gift game using cash back, five cardholders share how they earn and redeem rewards around the holidays ...