Southwest Rapid Rewards guide: The best ways to earn and use Rapid Rewards points
For travelers weary of the hassles and hidden fees that often come with booking airline award tickets, the Southwest Rapid Rewards program is a welcome alternative. Southwest makes it extraordinarily easy to book its low-cost fares at a great value.
What is Southwest Rapid Rewards?
Rapid Rewards is the loyalty program of Southwest Airlines – one of the largest domestic carriers in the U.S. Through Rapid Rewards you earn points on airline purchases, credit card purchases, purchases through Southwest partners and more, which you can redeem for a variety of awards, including flights on Southwest.
Though your flight options with the Rapid Rewards program are limited mainly to domestic flights (Southwest serves only 10 countries outside the U.S.), it’s a great option for economy travel within the U.S., as well for as families toting along several family members and a lot of extra luggage. Not only is it simple to find and book flights with your rewards, but you don’t have to worry about baggage fees or any other kind of hidden fees. Plus, Southwest booking policies are extremely flexible, allowing you to change and even cancel your ticket at the very last minute for free and with a full refund of your points.
Southwest Rapid Rewards program overview
|Type of currency||Miles|
|Average point value||1.6 cents|
Rapid Rewards Plus, Southwest
Rapid Rewards Premier, Southwest
Rapid Rewards Priority, Southwest
Rapid Rewards Premier Business
gift cards, car rentals, merchandise, hotels, experiences
|Minimum required to redeem||Number
of points required to cover the cheapest available flight
|Do rewards expire?||No
daily flights, 90+ destinations, 10+ countries
- What are Southwest points worth?
- Which Southwest credit card is best for you?
- Best ways to earn Southwest points
- Best ways to redeem Southwest points
- Southwest Airlines partners
- Southwest A-List status
- Booking a rewards flight with Southwest
- How to get the Southwest Companion Pass
Latest offers from Southwest
- New Southwest card launches with 65,000-point bonus
- Earn a sign-up bonus with Southwest credit cards
Other news and advice
- Earn 75,000 bonus points with the Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card – If you frequently stay at Marriott hotels and are interested in earning a large influx of rewards, the Marriott Rewards Premier Plus card is a great option ...
- How to book a Southwest Rapid Rewards flight – Travel expert, Holly Johnson, offers tips and tricks to getting the most value out of Rapid Rewards flights ...
- 16 ways to earn Southwest points quickly – Find out how you can quickly rack up Rapid Rewards points through all the special deals offered by Southwest Airlines ...