Southwest Rapid Rewards guide: The best ways to earn and use Rapid Rewards points
For travelers weary of the hassles and hidden fees that often come with booking airline award tickets, the Southwest Rapid Rewards program is a welcome alternative. Southwest makes it extraordinarily easy to book its low-cost fares at a great value.
What is Southwest Rapid Rewards?
Rapid Rewards is the loyalty program of Southwest Airlines – one of the largest domestic carriers in the U.S. Through Rapid Rewards you earn points on airline purchases, credit card purchases, purchases through Southwest partners and more, which you can redeem for a variety of awards, including flights on Southwest.
Though your flight options with the Rapid Rewards program are limited mainly to domestic flights (Southwest serves only 10 countries outside the U.S.), it’s a great option for economy travel within the U.S., as well for as families toting along several family members and a lot of extra luggage. Not only is it simple to find and book flights with your rewards, but you don’t have to worry about baggage fees or any other kind of hidden fees. Plus, Southwest booking policies are extremely flexible, allowing you to change and even cancel your ticket at the very last minute for free and with a full refund of your points.
Southwest Rapid Rewards program overview
|Type of currency||Miles|
|Average point value||1.6 cents|
Rapid Rewards Plus, Southwest
Rapid Rewards Premier, Southwest
Rapid Rewards Priority, Southwest
Rapid Rewards Premier Business
gift cards, car rentals, merchandise, hotels, experiences
|Minimum required to redeem||Number
of points required to cover the cheapest available flight
|Do rewards expire?||No
daily flights, 90+ destinations, 10+ countries
- What are Southwest points worth?
- Which Southwest credit card is best for you?
- Best ways to earn Southwest points
- Best ways to redeem Southwest points
- Southwest Airlines partners
- Southwest A-List status
- Booking a rewards flight with Southwest
- How to get the Southwest Companion Pass
- Rapid Rewards Shopping guide
Latest offers from Southwest
- New Southwest card launches with 65,000-point bonus
- Earn a sign-up bonus with Southwest credit cards
Other news and advice
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express vs. The Platinum Card® from American Express – For frequent Delta flyers, the Gold Delta SkyMiles card and the Platinum Card from American Express are both great options -- we'll help you figure out which one is best for you ...
- Capital One Savor card offers free Postmates Unlimited membership for a limited time – See how the new Postmates Unlimited membership adds great value to the Capital One Savor card ...
- Bank of America Cash Rewards cardholders can soon choose how they earn rewards – Starting the week of Jan. 14, 2019, cardholders can choose which category they wish to earn a 3-percent bonus ...