Delta SkyMiles Shopping guide
A quick visit to the SkyMiles portal will earn you extra SkyMiles on your online purchases
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we may receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy. The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. Please see the bank's website for the most current version of card offers; and please review our list of best credit cards to find our current offers, or use our CardMatchTM tool to find cards matched to your needs.
Although sign-up bonuses from airline-branded credit cards are particularly attractive to would-be jetsetters, they're not the only way to earn miles for your next getaway. Taking advantage of shopping rewards programs, such as Delta SkyMiles Shopping, is another method of accumulating points to use for award travel. Whether you're splurging on a birthday gift for yourself or searching for holiday gift ideas, shopping rewards programs are an easy way to rack up miles via purchases you'd make anyway.
What is Delta SkyMiles Shopping?
Delta SkyMiles Shopping is Delta Airlines' shopping rewards program, wherein you can earn Delta miles simply by making purchases at participating online stores. The best part? You don't need a Delta-branded credit card to qualify for the program – registration is free, and you'll earn miles regardless of payment method. With hundreds of available retailers at your fingertips, including Apple, Sephora, Macy's and Under Armour, Delta SkyMiles Shopping is definitely a travel hacking technique worth considering.
How to join Delta SkyMiles Shopping
- Join SkyMiles. Before you can take advantage of SkyMiles Shopping, you'll first need to enroll in the Delta SkyMiles Loyalty Program, if you haven't already.
- Enroll in SkyMiles Shopping. With your SkyMiles account number handy, register at the SkyMiles Shopping website for free. You'll need to provide your name and email, and create a password for logging in.
- Register your cards. Before you can start earning miles, you'll need to register the debit and/or credit cards you're most likely to use when using the SkyMiles Shopping portal. (This is how Cartera Commerce, the platform that manages the program, keeps track of your purchases for crediting your SkyMiles account with the appropriate miles.)
- You're all set!
How to use Delta SkyMiles Shopping
Here's where the fun starts. Once you're signed up, you can start using the program immediately to earn miles on all your shopping purchases. To do so, just visit the SkyMiles Shopping website and login with your SkyMiles member number or user ID. Then click on the online stores, offers or products that catch your eye. You'll be redirected to the store's website to complete your purchase, after which the store pays Delta a commission, which the airline turns into miles and credits to your SkyMiles account.
Besides earning miles, SkyMiles Shopping members sometimes benefit from extra miles deals and other offers, such as free shipping and coupon codes. Be sure to make purchases through the SkyMiles Shopping portal, however – going directly to a retailer's website or physical store location means you won't earn miles on what you buy. You'll also need to pay using one of your pre-registered debit or credit cards.
How many miles can you earn with SkyMiles Shopping?
Similar to Delta SkyMiles Dining, the number of miles you can earn with SkyMiles Shopping varies by retailer and your specific purchases; however, a cursory review of the website shows that most purchases will award anywhere from 0.5 to 5 miles per dollar (although some partners offer much more). There's no guaranteed number of miles, and amounts offered can change daily.
Once you make a purchase, you'll receive an email (usually within three to five days, but it can take up to 45 days in some circumstances) confirming the exact miles you earned.
How to maximize SkyMiles Shopping
- Register all of your debit and credit cards. That way, you won't miss out on accruing miles by accidentally using a card you didn't register with SkyMiles Shopping.
- Opt in to marketing emails to receive the latest SkyMiles Shopping deals and discounts.
- Install the SkyMiles Shopping button to get reminders to activate miles at store sites and see mileage offers in your search results.
- Check the SkyMiles Shopping website before buying anything online to see if a particular retailer participates in the program.
- Be sure to enter any required SkyMiles Shopping coupon codes when completing your purchase.
- Update your account with any new cards. Keep your SkyMiles shopping account up-to-date with your debit and credit card numbers, including any replacements you've requested if one was lost or stolen.
- Check your SkyMiles account regularly to ensure your miles are properly credited. If you don't see a purchase on your activity statement, you'll need to contact SkyMiles Shopping and provide any requested documentation for verification.
Best credit cards to use with SkyMiles Shopping
Although you can use any Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Discover card with the Delta SkyMiles Shopping program, certain credit cards can help you accelerate your SkyMiles earnings. For example, American Express Membership Rewards transfer to the SkyMiles program at a 1:1 ratio, so applying for an American Express card and using it to make SkyMiles Shopping purchases can help you earn some attractive introductory bonuses for use toward your next trip – not to mention any extra rewards those cards might offer on everyday purchases.
Of course, any co-branded Delta credit card is another great option to use with SkyMiles Shopping.
Some examples include:
|Credit Card||Rewards for Shopping||Annual Fee|
|Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
||1 mile per dollar||$95, $0 first year|
Reserve Credit Card from American Express
||1 mile per dollar||$450|
|Blue Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
||1 mile per dollar||$0|
Express Everyday Preferred Credit Card
1 point per dollar with a 50% bonus when you make 30+ purchases per month
|The Platinum Card from American Express
||1 point per dollar||$550|
Delta SkyMiles Shopping partners
Hundreds of retailers participate in the SkyMiles Shopping program – everything from national chains like Macy's and Bed Bath & Beyond to specialty stores such as L'Occitane and Kiehl's. Types of merchants include:
- Apparel (Lord & Taylor, Lululemon, Banana Republic)
- Electronics (Apple, Microsoft, Dell)
- Furniture and Décor (Home Depot, World Market, Office Depot)
- Beauty and Health (Sephora, Clinique, Aveda)
- Food and Dining (Omaha Steaks, Blue Apron, HelloFresh)
Visit the SkyMiles Shopping website to view the full list of categories and retailers.
Using the Delta SkyMiles Shopping program is really a no-brainer for any Delta enthusiast or current SkyMiles member. Check out the Delta SkyMiles Dining program for another easy way to build up your SkyMiles balance and get to that next reward flight quickly.
Related stories: What are Delta SkyMiles worth?, Best ways to redeem Delta SkyMiles, Which Delta SkyMiles card is best for you?, Ways to earn Delta SkyMiles quickly, Delta SkyMiles partners, Delta SkyMiles elite status, Delta Sky Club lounges, How to book a flight with SkyMiles
- Cash back alternatives that compete with top travel cards – Though travel cards sometimes have a better point value, many cash back cards offer rewards rates that make them a better choice ...
- Guide to Priority Pass lounges – This huge collection of airport lounges is a plushy escape for frequent travelers ...
- Southwest Airlines debuts flights to Hawaii – Southwest Airlines has officially started selling tickets to Hawaii. Flights from California to Hawaii are scheduled to begin March 17, 2019, with inter-island routes launching in April ...