Shopping and credit cards
These tips will prevent a convenience from turning into a curse
By Julie Sherrier | Published: June 24, 2009
Shopping and credit cards: a quintessential combination that can lead to big trouble. To help you maximize your shopping and charging experience -- and avoid some common dangers -- CreditCards.com has assembled stories to help you become a savvier purchaser.
- The pros and cons of retail credit cards
- Protecting your online security and privacy
- Shopping and buying from foreign retailers
Learn the pros and cons of retail credit cards
4 reasons you should get a department store credit card -- Often (and justly) maligned, retail store cards sometimes can help you build or rebuild your credit score ... (more)
Be cautious about opening store credit card accounts -- That initial 10 percent savings may not be enough to make having a retail store's credit card a winner ... (more)
Retail rewards cards: Stores give points and more -- Department store credit cards used to offer one-time discounts. Now they offer a variety of ongoing rewards in an effort to build loyalty ... (more)
Store credit cards still offered, but approval become stricter -- While you can save money off your purchase by applying for a store card, your chances of getting approved are getting slimmer (more)U.S. retail store credit card comparison table -- A list of the top issuers of retail store credit cards ... (more)
Protect your online security, privacy
Free trial offers can bring unwanted credit card offers -- Ever fall for the "order now and receive a free trial offer" on the latest energy booster or anti-aging cream? Avoid getting scammed ... (more)
Despite lingering online fears, virtual credit cards stall -- Although not widely adopted, virtual credit cards are still available for those who want extra assurance of safety when shopping online ... (more)
Your credit card is a tattletale: With electronic payments, little is private -- Card issuers can monitor where you shop, how much you spend and how often ... (more)
Interactive: Shop your way to a better credit score -- Your score could go up or down depending on what you buy. Buying felt pads to go under table legs: good. Marriage counseling: bad ... (more)
Tips for buying from foreign retailers
10 tips for taking a credit card on a foreign vacation -- Bringing your credit card on vacation is a smart decision, as long as you take precautions ... (more)
- 6 reasons to put all your wedding expenses on one credit card – By using one card for all wedding-related expenses, you can more easily stick to your budget and keep track of expenses ...
- 3 ways credit can help ease the costs of pet ownership – Credit card sign-up bonuses, pet store loyalty programs and special financing for medical emergencies can take a nip out of those pesky pet care costs ...
- 3 ways credit cards can help you achieve your fitness goals – Credit card sign-up bonuses, special financing financing offers and discount stores with credit cards can help you finance your fitness gear ...