Shopping and credit cards
These tips will prevent a convenience from turning into a curse
Shopping and credit cards: a quintessential combination that can lead to big trouble. To help you maximize your shopping and charging experience -- and avoid some common dangers -- CreditCards.com has assembled stories to help you become a savvier purchaser.
- The pros and cons of retail credit cards
- Protecting your online security and privacy
- Shopping and buying from foreign retailers
Learn the pros and cons of retail credit cards
4 reasons you should get a department store credit card -- Often (and justly) maligned, retail store cards sometimes can help you build or rebuild your credit score ... (more)
Be cautious about opening store credit card accounts -- That initial 10 percent savings may not be enough to make having a retail store's credit card a winner ... (more)
Retail rewards cards: Stores give points and more -- Department store credit cards used to offer one-time discounts. Now they offer a variety of ongoing rewards in an effort to build loyalty ... (more)
Store credit cards still offered, but approval become stricter -- While you can save money off your purchase by applying for a store card, your chances of getting approved are getting slimmer (more)U.S. retail store credit card comparison table -- A list of the top issuers of retail store credit cards ... (more)
Protect your online security, privacy
Free trial offers can bring unwanted credit card offers -- Ever fall for the "order now and receive a free trial offer" on the latest energy booster or anti-aging cream? Avoid getting scammed ... (more)
Despite lingering online fears, virtual credit cards stall -- Although not widely adopted, virtual credit cards are still available for those who want extra assurance of safety when shopping online ... (more)
Your credit card is a tattletale: With electronic payments, little is private -- Card issuers can monitor where you shop, how much you spend and how often ... (more)
Interactive: Shop your way to a better credit score -- Your score could go up or down depending on what you buy. Buying felt pads to go under table legs: good. Marriage counseling: bad ... (more)
Tips for buying from foreign retailers
10 tips for taking a credit card on a foreign vacation -- Bringing your credit card on vacation is a smart decision, as long as you take precautions ... (more)
- Purchase protection benefits: What they are, how to use them – Everything you need to know about purchase protection benefits offered by your credit card ...
- Texas law lets merchants ask cardholders to show ID – A new Texas law lets merchants ask a customer paying with a credit or debit card for a government-issued photo ID to prove his or her identity ...
- Dan Ariely Q&A: Make saving, not spending, more visible – Dan Ariely, co-author of "Dollars and Sense: How We Misthink Money and How to Spend Smarter," offers tips to minimize irrational money moves ...