Our guide to Southwest’s online shopping portal shows you how to earn extra Rapid Rewards points on many of your online purchases.
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we may receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. Please see the bank’s website for the most current version of card offers; and please review our list of best credit cards, or use our CardMatch™ tool to find cards matched to your needs.
If you love earning rewards for everything you buy, you probably have a rewards credit card already. But, did you know that you can earn additional points and miles every time you shop online via shopping portals? Doing so is easy and free, so why not take advantage?
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Shopping portal is a website that lets you earn points with this program each time you shop at participating stores. And remember, the miles you earn by shopping through the portal are doled out in addition to points or miles you earn with a rewards card. If you don’t have a rewards card to use (and that’s okay, too), then you can still earn miles through the portal any time you spend money with a participating store.
How to use Rapid Rewards Shopping
The best part about using the Southwest Rapid Rewards Shopping portal is that it’s easy and free. All you have to do is head to the portal before you prepare to shop online, log in to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account, and “click through” the portal before you shop as you normally would. If you don’t have a free Southwest loyalty account already, you’ll need to shop for one first.
Imagine you plan to buy something from Kohl’s at a time when the Southwest portal is offering an additional 2 points per dollar. You would head to the portal and log in, search among participating stores, find Kohl’s, and click through the portal to the Kohl’s website before you shopped.
If you didn’t see Kohl’s right away, you could also select “see all stores” on the home page and do a simple search.
While there are hundreds of stores participating in the Southwest Rapid Rewards Shopping portal at any given time, keep in mind that the stores and offers change all the time. If you don’t see a store you want to shop at, you can wait to see if it is added to the portal or search for a similar store.
How many miles can you earn with Rapid Rewards Shopping?
How many miles you earn with Rapid Rewards Shopping depends on the retailers you shop with, current promotions and how much you spend. Still, most stores offer 1 or 2 points for each dollar spent through the portal.
While earning an additional point or two for each dollar spent shopping online can help you earn meaningful rewards quickly, you can do even better if you shop at stores with exceptionally high earning rates. As of this writing, for example, you can earn 25 points per dollar by setting up television or internet services through Xfinity or 15 points per dollar for setting up service through LifeLock.com – an identity theft protection service.
Some services also offer a set amount of rewards for signing up through the portal. For example, you can earn 5,400 points for buying a mattress from DreamCloud Luxury Hybrid Mattress.
Best credit cards to use with Rapid Rewards Shopping
While any rewards card will help you earn additional rewards each time you use Rapid Rewards Shopping, some cards can be especially useful for this program since they already partner with Southwest Airlines. If you don’t have a rewards card yet and would like to earn more Southwest Rapid Rewards points over time, consider these options:
|Credit Card||Rewards for Shopping||Annual Fee|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card||1 point per dollar||$95|
|Chase Freedom®||1 point per dollar||$0|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card||1 point per dollar||$69|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card||1 point per dollar||$99|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card||1 point per dollar||$149|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card||1 point per dollar||$99|
How to Maximize Rapid Rewards Shopping
To get the most out of Southwest Rapid Rewards Shopping, consider these tips:
- Shop with a travel credit card that lets you earn even more miles within the Southwest Rapid Rewards program. While Southwest Rapid Rewards Shopping lets you earn points for each dollar you spend, you can earn considerably more points with the right travel credit card. Consider the options we shared above or use any other rewards or travel card each time you shop.
- Pay attention to special promotions. Southwest frequently posts opportunities for extra points with select retailers. Keep an eye on these offerings so you can strike while the iron is hot.
- Make sure to use the portal every time you shop. Don’t get complacent about using the shopping portal. Make sure you log into Rapid Rewards Shopping and access the portal every time you plan to buy something online.
- Check the portal any time you sign up for a new service. Also remember that some services you wouldn’t necessarily consider “shopping” also offer points through the portal. The Xfinity cable and internet offer we shared above is a good example, but you can also rack up a ton of points by signing up for a magazine subscription or getting new mobile phone service through Verizon, among other options.
- Use the Southwest website to book rental cars and hotels. Also note that you can earn more points by booking hotel and rental cars through Southwest.com. Hotels you book through the portal offer up to 10,000 bonus points per night.
While there are way too many Southwest shopping partners to list here, you can rest assured that at least a handful of stores you shop at are available via Rapid Rewards Shopping. While you can peruse all the available stores on the Rapid Rewards Shopping website, some examples include:
- Department stores: Kohl’s, Macys, and Land’s End
- Home: Bed Bath and Beyond, Lowes, and Home Depot
- Books: Barnes and Noble
- General: Walmart and Target
- Beauty and Health: The Body Shop, Aveda, and Sephora
- Office: Best Buy, Dell Small Business, Microsoft
- Travel and Luggage: Tumi and eBags
The bottom line
Southwest Rapid Rewards is one of the best airline loyalty programs for domestic flights and flights to the Caribbean. In addition, the airline always lets you check two bags for free and doesn’t charge fees if you have to cancel or reschedule.
Southwest Rapid Rewards Shopping offers a unique way to earn more points in this program without flying. If you plan to shop anyway, taking advantage of this portal is a no-brainer.
Related stories: What are Southwest points worth?, Southwest credit cards,Best ways to earn Southwest points, Best ways to redeem Southwest points, Southwest Airlines partners, Southwest A-List status, Booking a rewards flight with Southwest, How to earn the Southwest Companion Pass