The Credit Guy

FACTA and the rules behind getting a free credit report


A federal law known as FACTA provides that credit reporting bureaus must provide a free copy of your credit report every 12-month period.

The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of our partner offers may have expired. Please review our list of best credit cards, or use our CardMatch™ tool to find cards matched to your needs.

Dear Credit Guy,

I’ve contacted credit report companies and was told that I must pay for any credit report. You could help me in this effort by identifying the law that defines the requirements for consumers to receive a free credit report from the reporting companies.

It is so much easier to approach these people with facts and ask to speak with the supervisor. Thanks for whatever you can do.

Dear Lorraine,

I would be happy to help. The Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA) provides that the three major credit reporting bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) must provide a free copy of your credit report every 12-month period. The rules issued by the Federal Trade Commission also provide that you must be able to make your request of all three bureaus with one phone call, letter or website inquiry. You may call 1-877-322-8228, visit or complete the Annual Credit Report Request Form and mail it to: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281.

Be aware that to receive your free annual copy of your credit report from the bureaus, the request must be submitted as above. You may not contact the bureaus directly for your free annual report.

In addition, the Fair Credit Reporting Act provides that the three major credit bureaus must provide you a free copy of your credit report from their bureau:

  • If any adverse action has been taken as a result of information included in your credit report. Adverse actions would include being denied for credit, employment or housing or receiving a higher insurance rate.
  • After placing a fraud alert on your credit reports or any other actions as a result of being a victim of identity theft.
  • After disputing inaccurate information included on your report.

These requests for free reports should be made directly with the bureau involved.

I recommend that you check your report from each of the three bureaus each year. You will want to assure that all information is accurate and belongs to you. Keep in mind that all negative information that is correct will remain on your credit report for seven years from the first date of delinquency. Bankruptcies will remain on your report for 10 years.

Credit card videos
For more on this topic, check out this video:
How to improve your credit score

You can dispute information that you believe to be inaccurate with the bureau that reported it. You have the option to file a dispute online or by mail. The credit bureau is required by the Fair Credit Reporting Act to investigate the dispute and reply within a 30-day period beginning with the date the dispute is received.

Take care of your credit!

See related: Credit cards that offer free credit scores: The list grows, How to dispute credit report errors, Consumer credit report statement sample letters

Editorial Disclaimer

The editorial content on this page is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. It has not been provided or commissioned by the credit card issuers. However, we may receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners.

What’s up next?

In The Credit Guy

How debt settlement works, how it affects credit scores

Debt settlement lets you escape part of your debt, but at a price to your credit score.

See more stories
Credit Card Rate Report
Cash Back

Questions or comments?

Contact us

Editorial corrections policies

Learn more