Marriott Rewards guide: The best ways to earn and use Marriott points
With the merger between Marriott, Starwood and Ritz-Carlton hotels complete, Marriott is officially the world’s largest hotel company, and, with this move, Marriott Rewards may have cemented its place as the ultimate hotel rewards program.
What is Marriott Rewards?
Marriott Rewards is the loyalty program of the Marriott corporation, whose portfolio of hotels includes Marriott hotels, as well as Starwood and Ritz-Carlton brand hotels, which were previously under the fold of the Starwood Preferred Guest and Ritz-Carlton loyalty programs. With Marriott Rewards, you can earn points on many types of purchases, including hotel stays and spending through one of its co-branded credit cards, and redeem those points for rewards, such as free hotel nights.
Marriott acquired the Ritz-Carlton and Starwood brands in 2016 and a revamp to the Marriot Rewards program has been in the works since then. The updated program was officially launched in August 2018, and it’s pretty impressive: not only can you seamlessly redeem points at 5,700 properties worldwide across a huge portfolio of brands, but the new program incorporates many of the best features of the Marriott and Starwood Preferred Guest programs, including the ability to transfer points to more than 40 frequent flyer programs at a good ratio.
Read on to see why Marriott Rewards may be your best bet for flexible, versatile hotel points.
Marriott Rewards program overview
|Type of currency||Hotel points|
|Average point value||0.8 cent|
Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card, Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business credit card, Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card
nights, room upgrades, Cash + Points, travel packages, hotel statement credits,
cruises, car rentals, experiences, merchandise, charity
|Minimum required to redeem||7,500
points for a rewards night (5,000 points for off-peak rewards starting in 2019)
|Do rewards expire?||Yes
– if your account is inactive for more than 24 months.
|Blackout dates/travel restrictions||None.
If a standard room is available, you can book it.
St. Regis, Edition, The Luxury Collection, Bulgari, W Hotels, JW Marriott,
Marriott, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Delta Hotels, Le Méridien, Westin,
Autograph Collection Hotels, Design Hotels, Renaissance Hotels, Tribute
Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard by Marriott, Four Points, Springhill
Suites, Protea Hotels, Fairfield, AC Hotels, Aloft, Moxy, Marriott Executive
Apartments, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, Element
5,700+ properties in 110+ countries.
- What are Marriott points worth?
- Which Marriott credit card is the best for you?
- How to earn the most Marriott points
- Best ways to redeem Marriott points
- Marriott elite benefits
- Transferring Marriott points
Latest offers from Marriott
- New Starwood Preferred Guest Luxury card offers 100k-point bonus
- New Starwood Preferred Guest card members can earn up to 100,0000 bonus points
- Earn 75,000 bonus points with the Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card
Other news and advice
- Best ways to redeem United miles – Get a full overview on good and bad options for redeeming United miles, including Saver and Everyday Awards, travel, merchandise and more ...
- United Airlines partners – See a list of United Airlines partners for opportunities to earn and redeem United miles and use your elite status benefits ...
- United Airlines elite status benefits – Our guide to elite status on United Airlines gives an overview of the benefits and ways to earn status, plus tips to earn status faster ...