Your Business Credit

Improperly closed business can cause tax collection headaches


Tax collectors may come after a small business that is sold but not officially closed. But there are ways to fight back

The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of our partner offers may have expired. Please review our list of best credit cards, or use our CardMatch™ tool to find cards matched to your needs.

Dear Your Business Credit,

I used to have a business in California eight years ago. It was a restaurant. I sold the restaurant, but never closed the business, and now I found the status of the business was Franchise Tax Board “suspended,” plus they want $10,000 in penalties.

I am planning to open another business in California. It is not a restaurant, but I want to be sure, in the future, I will not have a problem and that they would not go after my accounts and get penalties, etc. Can you give me advice?  — Lala

Dear Lala,

Yikes! What a headache!

The Franchise Tax Board – the California department that collects state personal income taxes as well as bank and corporation taxes owed to the state — could keep pursuing you for the penalties, but fortunately, there are some steps you can take that may help, according to Michael Raanan, an enrolled agent at Landmark Tax Group in Santa Ana, California. His firm has worked with a number of clients who were issued the same status by the Franchise Tax Board.

“We see this a lot,” says Raanan. “It’s very common that taxpayers in California operate a business and then for one reason or another end up abandoning the entity, and the business ends up not filing formal tax returns. Nor do they formally dissolve the entity with the Secretary of State. The Franchise Tax Board starts sending out letters to the business saying certain taxes have to be filed and are now past due. This goes on for many years, and the state ends up suspending the license of the business.”

Generally, the owners who have come to Raanan have set their businesses up as corporations. When their license is suspended, Raanan says, the state of California usually files a tax lien in the name of the business, which lets other creditors know the state has priority on any income or assets of the business. The state will then start issuing levies to any income sources of the business, such as bank accounts, he says. “After they end up exhausting collection efforts on the corporation, the Franchise Tax Board starts looking at collections on the shareholder.”

Fortunately, there is something you can do to turn a situation like this around, but I would strongly recommend that you do so with the help of a California attorney or accountant experienced in working with the Franchise Tax Board.

Raanan says some companies have invoked what is known as the Ralite Decision when they failed to dissolve a corporation and the Franchise Tax Board attempted to collect from them. That court decision says a shareholder cannot be liable for the taxes of a business entity if certain conditions have been met. For instance, one condition is that any assets of the business were categorized at fair market value and were properly liquidated, he says. Another condition is that no assets or income were taken from the business by the shareholder without adequate compensation to the business account.

Raanan says he knows of no similar court decisions with regard to LLCs. However, many of his clients who set up LLCs have been able to successfully invoke the Ralite Decision as well, he says.

Invoking the Ralite Decision is not your only alternative: You can alternatively have the corporation file the final tax returns that are missing and formally dissolve the entity with the Secretary of State so there are no open-ended issues with that corporation. “Now the shareholder can freely open as many entities as they want without worrying,” Raanan says.

Your situation is a good reminder of how important it is to close a business properly. “Until a business is officially dissolved by the filing of a certificate of dissolution with the state, it continues to be an `active’ business — even if the business is no longer operating,” Jennifer Friedman, vice president of Wolters Kluwer’s CT Corporation, which offers services that assist companies in staying in good legal standing. No one wants to file paperwork for a business that has closed but it can save a lot of hassles in the long run.

See related: Can I borrow to pay my business tax bill?, Long after business is sold, old card debt arises, Big debt from business failure? Try talking to creditors

Editorial Disclaimer

The editorial content on this page is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. It has not been provided or commissioned by the credit card issuers. However, we may receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners.

What’s up next?

In Your Business Credit

Paying deceased’s bill doesn’t imply liability for authorized user

Authorized users are not responsible for debt incurred on a credit card account, even if they make payments after the primary cardholder dies

See more stories
Credit Card Rate Report Updated: September 16th, 2020
Cash Back

Questions or comments?

Contact us

Editorial corrections policies

Learn more

Join the Discussion

We encourage an active and insightful conversation among our users. Please help us keep our community civil and respectful. For your safety, do not disclose confidential or personal information such as bank account numbers or social security numbers. Anything you post may be disclosed, published, transmitted or reused.

The editorial content on is not sponsored by any bank or credit card issuer. The journalists in the editorial department are separate from the company’s business operations. The comments posted below are not provided, reviewed or approved by any company mentioned in our editorial content. Additionally, any companies mentioned in the content do not assume responsibility to ensure that all posts and/or questions are answered.