Holiday guide of credit card tips
Here's how your cards can save you on shopping and travel this time of year
Former newspaper reporter now focused on rewards and fintech.
As we near the official start of the holiday shopping season, we have compiled stories and videos to help you maximize the rewards from all of your spending on gifts, treats and travel during this season.
Go to "2017 holiday shopping guide"
In 2017, Americans are expected to spend a record amount, surpassing last year’s more than $658 billion holiday spending, according to the National Retail Federation’s annual forecast. If you haven’t already started shopping, you may me looking for deals, because the average American isn’t planning on spending too much on their biggest presents, according to a CreditCards.com survey.
Whether you’re still checking items off your seasonal shopping list or just looking for some tips to save, CreditCards.com has the resources you need to get you – and your credit – through the 2017 holiday shopping season.
Take advantage of perks, rewards, deals
- 2017 perks, rewards and deals
Save money on gift giving by using these credit card tips and tricks.
- Rev up holiday rewards with your card's shopping portal
You can earn double or triple the points when you buy gifts through your credit card's shopping portal.
- Merry early holiday shopping
It’s not even turkey time yet, but there are still some good deals to be had.
Manage holiday credit card debt
- 6 ways to NOT pay off your holiday debt
There’s a right way and a wrong way to pay down debt. Learn how to do it the right way.
- Don’t-wait-until-the-last-minute holiday checklist
If you start ticking these items off your list, you won’t have to pay for procrastinating later.
- Americans plan to be more thrifty this Christmas season
You're not being cheap when it's the thought that counts.
Find the right card for the holiday
- Is it time for a holiday card swap?
It’s time to get a card that will fit your spending needs the best this season.
- 2017 Retail Card Survey
You may get lured in with 15 percent off on that huge gift purchase, but beware the high APRs.
- Best Rewards Credit Cards
If you're looking for something to give you a boost even after the tinsel and holly come down, check out our rewards card rankings.
'Home for the holidays' travel tips
- Tips for booking holiday flights using airline miles
Save a little on your flight home and grandma’s peppermint bark will taste even sweeter.
- 7 ways to snag an early holiday travel deal using card rewards
They say the early bird catches the worm but you’ll catch a deal if you book your travel soon.
- Survive holiday travel with your credit card
It’s OK for your credit card to be your travel buddy.
Other holiday tips and tricks
- Holiday shoppers are using mobile pay
Millennial dads are leading the cellphone charge at checkout.
- Gift card regulations: Fees, expiration limited by U.S. law
Whether you’re giving or recieving, this guide is handy for knowing if your gift card rules.
- What to do with your gift card when a retailer files for bankruptcy
Don’t be left holding a useless gift card if your retailer goes under.
- It’s the thought that counts: Americans plan holiday gift thrift – Our new poll suggests consumers are buying modest, meaningful holiday gifts, not big-ticket items ...
- Rack up card rewards with holiday bonuses, perks – Card issuer holiday rewards and perks include bonus rewards on shopping portals, discounts on gift cards, access to exclusive events, extra cash back at popular retailers ...
- Is it time for a holiday credit card swap? – Between gifts, holiday travel and year-end expenses, the holidays are a good opportunity to score major rewards using the right credit card. Just make sure you meet minimum spends, avoid fees and don't carry a balance ...