If you are a Free Spirit member, the Free Spirit Dining program is a great way to earn bonus miles — you can earn up to 5 miles just by swiping your card at participating locations.
Spirit Airlines is one of the fastest growing carriers in the United States, serving 65 destinations throughout Central America, the Caribbean, South America and the United States. While it might not offer the most luxurious experience, travelers are attracted to its extremely low prices. Its frequent flyer program is called Free Spirit, and customers can use the Free Spirit Dining program to earn additional miles every time they eat out at eligible restaurants.
What is Free Spirit Dining?
The Free Spirit Dining program offers Free Spirit members a chance to earn bonus miles simply by using a registered credit or debit card at a qualified restaurant. You can join the program for free by signing up at the Free Spirit Dining page.You may earn as many as 5 miles per dollar when you qualify as a VIP member, and the miles that you earn through the program will stack on top of your regular credit card rewards. You don’t need to tell your waiter about the program to earn miles on your purchase — all you have to do is swipe your card, and miles are deposited automatically to your account.
How to join Free Spirit Dining
- To start earning Free Spirit miles when you eat out, you first need to create an account online by providing your name, address, phone number and email at this webpage.
- When filling out the form, you’ll have to register your credit or debit cards that you’ll use when you eat out.
- After registration is complete, you can immediately begin using the program to earn Free Spirit miles at participating locations.
How to use the Free Spirit Dining program
Once you’ve joined, you just have to use your card at a participating bar, club or restaurant to earn Free Spirit miles. You should take a look at the handy restaurant search on the Free Spirit Dining website to find participating establishments in your area — you can search by city, state, ZIP code or name, and the results will show other useful details, including neighborhood, user ratings, price range and the days of the week that the restaurant offers rewards (some establishments don’t offer rewards on the weekend).
You should get your Free Spirit miles within six to eight weeks of your visit. If you don’t receive your miles, you can log in to your account and fill out a missing reward form.
At what rate do you earn Free Spirit miles?
As you can see from the chart below, your best bet for maximizing miles with the Free Spirit Dining program is signing up for marketing emails:
|If you don’t opt in to receive emails||1 mile per $2|
|If you opt in to receive emails||3 miles per $1|
|If you opt in to receive emails and complete 11 qualified transactions in a calendar year||5 miles per $1|
How to maximize the Free Spirit Dining program
- Make sure you choose to receive emails. Though you may find marketing emails annoying, it’s a mistake to check the opt-out box when you sign up for the Free Spirit Dining program. You will earn a measly rate of 1 mile per two dollars if you opt out of emails, and you will never be able to qualify as a VIP member to earn the highest rate of 5 miles per dollar and to receive other VIP benefits.
- Find the qualifying restaurants in your area. After opting in to get marketing emails, the next step to maximizing your rewards with the Free Spirit Dining program is to look for local restaurants that participate in the program. Planning every meal out at a participating restaurant will put you on the fast track to making 11 qualifying transactions and earning VIP status.
- Pay for everyone’s meal. Take your friends, family and co-workers to a participating restaurant and offer to put the tab on your credit card, while they reimburse you. This will save you from having to split the bill and allow you to earn even more miles.
- Look for opportunities to earn miles when you’re away from home. If you’re on a holiday or a work trip, you have a fresh list of eligible restaurants to choose from. Visit the Free Spirit Dining website to find qualifying places near where you are staying.
- Keep an eye on your inbox for frequent promotions. Don’t send your Free Spirit Dining emails to the spam folder. These emails often contain valuable offers, such as bonus miles when you reach a certain number of qualifying transactions, or when you eat out a certain number of times. They’ll also alert you when a new restaurant has joined the program.
Free Spirit Dining sign-up bonus
As a new member of the Free Spirit Dining program, you can earn 1,000 bonus miles after you sign up and spend $30 or more at a qualifying location within the first 30 days.
Best credit cards for Free Spirit Dining
Though you can use any Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Discover card with the Free Spirit Dining program (including debit cards), some cards are better than others. Since your dining rewards stack with your regular credit card rewards, you should try to use a card that offers a bonus on dining purchases.
Here are some of the best credit cards that offer you bonus rewards when dining out:
|Credit Card||Rewards for dining||Annual fee|
|Spirit Airlines World Mastercard||2x miles||$59, $0 first year|
|Chase Sapphire Reserve||3x points||$450|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred||2x points||$95|
|Uber Visa Card from Barclays||4% cash back||$0|
|Capital One Savor Cash Rewards Credit Card||4% cash back||$95, $0 first year|
|Citi ThankYou Preferred Card (Update: This card is no longer available through our site as of Nov. 28, 2018)||2x points||$0|
|Citi Premier Card||2x points||$95|
|Citi Prestige||2x points||$450|
|Discover it chrome||2% cash back (on up to $1,000 combined gas and restaurant spending per quarter, then 1%)||$0|
Eligible Free Spirit Dining restaurants
Participating restaurants vary by city, so it’s a good idea to visit the Free Spirit Dining site to get familiar with the eligible restaurants in your area. You may assume the program caters to national restaurant chains, but, actually, most restaurants are independently operated or are local chains.
Here’s a sample of eligible restaurants:
- Buca di Beppo
- Jack In the Box
- Which Wich
- Fogo de Chao
- Brio Tuscan Grille