Earn a 60,000-point sign-up bonus with Southwest Rapid Rewards cards
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy
Update: This offer is no longer available through our site.
Chase has relaunched its 60,000-point sign-up bonus for the Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus card and the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier card. For a limited time, new cardholders can earn 60,000 points after spending $2,000 in the first three months of card membership – an increase of 20,000 points over the previous offer.
Chase has not yet specified an end date for this promotion.
Along with increased sign-up bonuses, the Southwest cards continue to offer annual bonuses and rewards on every purchase. The Southwest Premier card gives a 6,000-point bonus each year after your card member anniversary, and the Plus card gives a 3,000-point bonus. Both cards also garner two points per dollar on Southwest purchases and Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partner purchases. All other purchases earn one point per dollar.
Benefits of flying Southwest
Travelers can take advantage of a variety of perks when flying with Southwest Airlines, including:
- Free checked bags – You will not be charged for your first two checked bags on any flight.
- Southwest Companion Pass – Receive a Companion Pass after 100 one-way flights, or after earning 110,000 points in one calendar year. The pass entitles you to choose one person to fly free with you every time you purchase or redeem points for a flight for the remainder of the year in which you earn it as well as the following full calendar year.
- No change fees – Pay no additional fees to change flights – you are only responsible for the cost in fare difference.
- No blackout dates – There are no blackout dates or seat restrictions when you redeem points for Southwest flights.
Comparing Southwest cards
Since the Plus and Premier cards have the same rewards rate and sign-up bonus, you may be wondering whether it’s worth paying the higher annual fee for the Premier card.
Our side-by-side comparison of the cards reveals that the Premier card’s annual fee is worth it…just barely:
|SOUTHWEST RAPID REWARDS CREDIT CARDS|
Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus
Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier
||60,000 points after $2,000 spend in first 3 months||60,000 points after $2,000 spend in first 3 months|
||3,000 points after your card member anniversary||6,000 points after your card member anniversary|
|Estimated value of bonuses (sign-up + annual)*||$989||$1,036|
|Foreign transaction fee||3% of each transaction||None|
*Bonus value is based on our estimated value of each card’s rewards points.
As you can see from the table, the Premier card’s 6,000-point annual bonus gives it a leg up over the Plus card. We value Southwest points at 1.57 cents per point on average. The Premier card's 6,000-point bonus translates to $1,036 worth of airfare – approximately $47 greater than the value of the Plus card's bonus. The difference in value of the two cards outweighs the $30 difference in the cards’ annual fees.
Of course, you have to renew your membership to receive the annual bonus. If you are up in the air about keeping the card for a second year, you may opt for the Plus card with the lower annual fee.
One additional factor in favor of the Premier card: It doesn’t include a foreign transaction fee. If you plan to use the card while traveling abroad, the Premier card will spare you a 3 percent fee on your purchases, which could more than make up for a higher annual fee.
Who can apply?
Keep in mind that the Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus and Rapid Rewards Premier cards are only available to new cardholders who have not received a sign-up bonus for either card within the past 24 months.
- Discover’s new business card pays 1.5 percent cash back on every purchase – The Discover it Business card is a great option for business owners who want a straightforward approach to earning rewards. In addition to offering 1.5 percent cash back on every purchase, the card matches all the cash back you earn in the first year ...
- Coming soon: Earn 60,000 bonus points with Chase Sapphire Banking – On the heels of the Sapphire Banking launch, Chase has unveiled plans to launch an exclusive offer to Chase Sapphire cardholders sometime in October 2018 ...
- 12 ways to earn Marriott points – Get an overview of the 12 best ways to earn Marriott points quickly ...