Discover cash back calendar 2018
Earn 5 percent back on groceries in Q2
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date. Please see the bank’s website for the most current version of card offers.
Discover has launched its 5 percent cash back category for the second quarter of 2018. From April through June 2018, Discover it cardholders can earn 5 percent back at grocery stores on up to $1,500 in combined spending upon enrollment. In terms of earning rewards for grocery shopping, 5 percent cash back is a generous rate.
To activate the second quarter bonus category, click here.
Here’s what you need to know at a glance:
- You must activate the bonus each quarter to receive 5 percent back.
- The second quarter bonus is active from April 1, 2018 – or the date on which you activate it, whichever is later – through June 30, 2018.
- The bonus is capped at $1,500 per quarter.
- All other purchases earn 1 percent cash back.
Discover’s 2018 cash back calendar
Discover is doing things a little differently this year. Instead of announcing its bonus cash back categories on a quarter-per-quarter basis, they have unveiled the full 2018 calendar in advance. According to Discover, the 2018 calendar is designed to include more places where Discover it card members routinely shop. See the categories and activation dates below:
Discover 5 percent cash back calendar 2018
|January – March
||April – June
||July – September
(Activate starting May 1, 2018)
|October – December
(Activate starting Aug. 1, 2018)
While several of Discover’s 2018 categories are the same as those from 2017, the major items that stand out are the absence of ground transportation, home improvement stores and Target stores. However, if you frequently shop at wholesale clubs, you’ll still come out on top with the 2018 categories. Because Discover is offering the bonus rate at wholesale clubs during the first AND fourth quarters of 2018, you can essentially earn 5 percent back at stores like Sam’s and Costco for half of 2018. Since you can earn the 5 percent rate on up to $1,500 in purchases per quarter upon enrollment, and 1 percent cash back after that, you can potentially earn more than $150 cash back at wholesale clubs during 2018.
What is included/excluded in the “grocery stores” category?
The “grocery stores” category excludes purchases made at convenience stores, gas stations, wholesale clubs, supercenters, discount stores and any grocery stores associated with supercenters or discount stores. Purchases made using tap-and-pay, mobile or wireless card readers, virtual wallets or similar technology also may not be eligible.
Tips for maximizing your bonus
- Use your Discover it card to purchase groceries from supermarkets.
- Avoid purchasing food from wholesale clubs, supercenters, convenience stores, discount stores and gas stations to ensure that you receive the 5 percent bonus.
- Check Discover’s shopping portal for opportunities to stack your rewards.
Discover vs. Chase bonus categories
Chase also offers a 5 percent cash back bonus in categories that rotate quarterly. From April 1 through June 30, 2018, Chase Freedom cardholders can earn 5 percent cash back on up to $1,500 of grocery purchases, Chase Pay purchases and PayPal purchases.
Chase vs. Discover cash back categories 2018
|January – March||Gas stations and wholesale clubs||Gas stations; internet, cable and phone services; Chase Pay, Android Pay, Apple Pay and Samsung Pay|
|April – June||Grocery stores||Groceries, Chase Pay and PayPal|
|July – September||Restaurants||Summer – coming soon|
|October – December||Amazon.com and wholesale clubs||Holiday – coming soon|
Which card offers the best deal?
Ultimately, we think Chase does.
Although Discover’s 5 percent bonus on groceries is a great offer, the Freedom card offers the same deal – but with more flexibility and options. In addition to getting 5 percent back on groceries, Freedom cardholders can earn the bonus rate anywhere Chase Pay and PayPal are accepted. Meaning that Freedom cardholders can also receive 5 percent back at wholesale stores, department stores, restaurants, gas stations and more.
Beyond the second quarter, though, we can’t tell you which card offers the better deal. Based on past years, we can guess that Chase may offer the bonus rate at restaurants and department stores some time during 2018. But because they don’t release their full calendar in advance, it’s impossible to tell which card will best suit your spending habits throughout the year.
- Chase to launch new Marriott Rewards card with a 100,000-point sign-up bonus – Chase has unveiled plans to launch a new Marriott Rewards Premier Plus card with 100,000 bonus points, 6 points per dollar at Marriott hotels and 2 points per dollar on everything else ...
- Get up to 80,000 bonus points and 10x points on hotel stays with Chase’s new IHG cards – Chase and IHG have added two new products to their credit card portfolio: the IHG Rewards Premier card and the IHG Rewards Club Traveler card ...
- Earn 75,000 miles each year with the new Barclays Arrival Premier card – Read on to see how – by combining the generous rewards rate with the annual bonus – you can earn more than 75,000 miles each year with the new Barclays Arrival Premier World Mastercard ...