Delta SkyMiles guide: The best ways to earn and use SkyMiles
If you’re looking for a frequent flyer program that offers flexibility and a lot of travel options, or you simply love flying Delta Air Lines, the Delta SkyMiles program should be near the top of your list.
Delta Air Lines is one of the world’s largest carriers and ranks high in quality against most of its U.S. competitors, according to the Airline Quality Rating. However, the SkyMiles program itself leaves something to be desired.
What is Delta SkyMiles?
Delta SkyMiles is the loyalty program of Delta Air Lines, rewarding its members with miles that can be redeemed for flights on Delta and its airline partners as well on a few other options, such as car rentals, merchandise and gift cards.
The SkyMiles program comes with a lot of pros and cons buried under a tangle of terms and conditions that can make it difficult to determine if the program is the right choice. On the plus side, the program offers a large airline network, a fairly good value on its miles and flexible redemption options with no blackout dates or capacity controls on its own rewards seats.
On the downside, the SkyMiles program is prone to frequent updates that can drastically alter the value of points – for the better or for the worse – making it difficult to determine what your points are going to be worth in the long run. And, the program is difficult to decipher, with lots of surprises lurking in the fine print.
In the following pages, we take a dive into the SkyMiles program – showing you how to earn and redeem SkyMiles and what your miles are worth – to help you figure out if SkyMiles are the best option for you.
Delta SkyMiles program overview
|Type of currency||Miles|
|Average point value||1.61 cents|
Delta SkyMiles, Delta
Delta SkyMiles, Gold
Delta SkyMiles Business, Platinum
Delta SkyMiles Business, Delta
Reserve for Business
flight upgrades, Miles + Cash, Pay with Miles, vacations, car rentals, Sky Club
membership, merchandise, gift cards, magazines, experiences, donations
|Minimum required to redeem||5,000
for Pay with Miles awards
|Do rewards expire?||No
airline partners – 19 SkyTeam partners and 12 additional partners
|Excellent. 14,500+ daily flights, 800+ destinations, 170+
- What are Delta SkyMiles worth?
- Which Delta SkyMiles card is best for you?
- Ways to earn Delta SkyMiles quickly
- Best ways to redeem Delta SkyMiles
- Delta SkyMiles partners
- Delta SkyMiles elite status
- Delta Sky Club lounges
- How to book a flight with SkyMiles
Latest offers from Delta
Other news and advice
- Discover’s new business card pays 1.5 percent cash back on every purchase – The Discover it Business card is a great option for business owners who want a straightforward approach to earning rewards. In addition to offering 1.5 percent cash back on every purchase, the card matches all the cash back you earn in the first year ...
- Coming soon: Earn 60,000 bonus points with Chase Sapphire Banking – On the heels of the Sapphire Banking launch, Chase has unveiled plans to launch an exclusive offer to Chase Sapphire cardholders sometime in October 2018 ...
- 12 ways to earn Marriott points – Get an overview of the 12 best ways to earn Marriott points quickly ...