Earn up to $500 a year when you refer a friend to these cards
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date. Please see the bank’s website for the most current version of card offers.
If you’re looking for alternative ways to earn rewards or bonuses from your credit card – and you’ve already exhausted your sign-up bonus, maximized your rewards earning potential and taken advantage of your card’s limited-time promotions – referral bonuses may be your answer.
Discover, Chase and American Express all offer opportunities to earn cash and rewards bonuses when you refer a friend who is approved for one of their card products. Read on to see what offers are currently available.
The Chase Refer-a-Friend program
Through the Chase referral program, cardholders have the potential to earn up to 100,000 bonus points or $500 cash back each year when they invite friends to carry a Chase card. If you have one of the following Chase cards, you can refer friends using a personalized referral link, or via Facebook, Twitter or email. Here are the details:
- Chase Freedom – $100 for each friend who is approved for a Freedom card – up to five referrals per year, for a total of $500 cash back.
- Chase Freedom Unlimited – $100 for each friend who is approved for a Freedom Unlimited card – up to five referrals per year, for a total of $500 cash back.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred – 10,000 points for each friend who is approved for a Sapphire Preferred card – up to five referrals per year, for a total of 50,000 points.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve – 10,000 points for each friend who is approved for a Sapphire Reserve card – up to five referrals per year, for a total of 50,000 points.
- Chase Marriott Rewards Premier – 20,000 points for each friend who is approved for a Marriott Rewards Premier card – up to five referrals per year, for a total of 100,000 points. (Update: As of Jan. 24, 2018, this offer is no longer available through our site.)
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus – 10,000 points for each friend who is approved for a Rapid Rewards Plus card – up to five referrals per year, for a total of 50,000 points.
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier – 10,000 points for each friend who is approved for a Rapid Rewards Premier card – up to five referrals per year, for a total of 50,000 points.
- Hyatt card – 10,000 points for each friend who is approved for a Hyatt card – up to five referrals per year, for a total of 50,000 points.
- Disney Visa – 50 Disney Dollars for each friend who is approved for a Disney Visa card – up to five referrals per year, for a total of 500 Disney Dollars.
To participate in the referral program, enter your last name, zip code and last four digits of your credit card on Chase’s Refer-a-Friend page. On the following page, you will enter the first name and email address of each person you wish to invite. You also have the option to post an invitation link to Facebook or Twitter or refer friends through the Chase app.
The Discover Refer-a-Friend program
Discover lets you and your friend benefit from its Refer-a Friend program. When you refer a friend who becomes a Discover card member, both you and your referral will receive $50. Here are the details:
- If you refer a friend – using your referral link – who is approved by Dec. 31, 2018, you will receive a $50 statement credit. You can receive a maximum of 10 referral bonuses per calendar year, for a total of $500 in statement credits.
- Your referrals will receive a $50 statement credit when they apply for the Discover card using your referral link, are approved for the card and make their first purchase within the first three months of card membership.
To receive your personalized referral link, log in to your Discover account here. Note, the following cards are not eligible to participate in the referral program: Discover Business card, Discover Business Miles card, Essential by Discover card, Escape by Discover card and Miles by Discover card.
The American Express Refer-a-Friend program
If you currently have one of the following AmEx cards, you may be eligible for the American Express referral program:
- Platinum card from American Express
- Premier Rewards Gold card
- Blue Cash Preferred card
- Blue Cash Everyday card
- Starwood Preferred Guest card
- Gold Delta SkyMiles card
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles card
- Delta Reserve card
- Hilton Honors American Express card
- Hilton Honors American Express Ascend card
- AmEx EveryDay card
- AmEx EveryDay Preferred card
- Business Gold Rewards card
- Plum card
- Gold Delta Skymiles Business card
- Starwood Preferred Guest Business card
- Platinum Delta Skymiles Business card
- The Business Platinum card
- Lowe’s Business Rewards card from American Express
To see if you are eligible to participate in the referral program, log in to your American Express account here. Note that referral bonuses are only available for the primary account holder, and not additional card members.
The Citibank Refer-a-Friend program
While Citibank does offer a referral program in select countries, such as the Philippines, the program is not currently available in the U.S.
- Get up to 70,000 bonus miles with AmEx Delta SkyMiles cards for a limited time – American Express is running a special promotion from March 1 until April 11, 2018 that doubles the sign-up bonuses for the Platinum Delta SkyMiles and Gold Delta SkyMiles cards ...
- MileagePlus X: A unique, mobile way to earn miles on United – United Airlines MileagePlus X is a unique app that lets you earn miles on everyday purchases. This step-by-step will help you master its use and score major reward miles ...
- Citi hikes ThankYou Premier card’s sign-up bonus to 50,000 points – Citi has upped the sign-up bonus for the ThankYou Premier card by 20,000 points. The new offer lets cardholders earn 50,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 in the first three months of account opening ...