2017 credit card special holiday promotions
Card issuers sweeten their deals, add rewards and limited-time offers
Travel, small business and consumer credit expert
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date. Some of the offers mentioned below may no longer be available. Please review our list of best credit cards to find our current offers, or use our CardMatch tool to find cards matched to your needs.
With all those charges for gifts, meals out, holiday parties and long-distance travel to be with family, get ready also to rack up some serious miles, points or cash back.
Deloitte predicts the average household in the U.S. will spend more than $1,200 in the next couple of months.
“A great way to keep your holiday spending under those national estimates is to be smart about how you use your credit card rewards,” says money-saving expert Leah Ingram. “Stockpile points so you can use them to get free gift cards to give to people on your list. This allows you to get your holiday shopping done without spending a dime of ‘new money.’”
Michael F. Kay, founder of Financial Life Focus and author of “The Feel Rich Project,” suggests only charging holiday expenses that you know you’ll be able to pay off in full when the bill arrives.
“Understand your cash flow in advance of setting a spending amount,” he says. “If you don’t have a clear path to paying for your spending, revise your spending to fit what is available and comfortable to spend.”
How we are doing our holiday shopping is changing, too. For the first time, Americans this year are expected to do more of our holiday shopping online – especially via mass merchants – than in physical stores. According to Deloitte, shoppers have earmarked 51 percent of their holiday budgets for online spending versus 42 percent for use in stores.
To earn more rewards on your online holiday shopping, use your card issuer’s shopping portal and card-linked offers. You’ll earn bonus points, miles or cash back on that centerpiece for Grandma’s kitchen table, a Fitbit for you daughter and a spa day gift certificate for your wife. In many cases, free shipping often will be included.
Ingram always looks for gift card deals during the holiday season. “Last year, lots of retailers, spa services and restaurants would give you $20 free in gift cards when you spent $100 in gift cards,” Ingram says. “So you get $120 worth of gift cards for only $100. That’s free money.”
Indeed, Wells Fargo and Chase are among card issuers offering discounts on gift card purchases.
Also, if your cash back card has a rotating 5 percent category, concentrate your shopping at Amazon and Target (Discover), Walmart and department stores (Chase Freedom) and Best Buy and department stores (Citi Dividend).
If you’re just starting your holiday shopping, frugal living expert and author Lauren Greutman suggests checking the promotions page of your credit card and loyalty program websites. Greutman did this with her Delta account and discovered $20 in free Lyft rides this month. If you have multiple accounts, check our page listing credit card special offers and limited-time promotions. Then, make your holiday spending list and check it thrice.
With your holiday spending list nearby, here’s our annual roundup of card issuer holiday bonus rewards and perks to help cut your costs. We will keep this updated with new holiday offers as they become available.
- 2x Membership Rewards points at select small businesses through Dec. 31. See participating merchants at the Shop Small Map. Your American Express card must be enrolled in the Membership Rewards program to qualify.
- AmEx Offers: Cardholders select the holiday offers for dining, shopping and more, add the offers to their card and then get statement credits on their bills.
- Membership Experiences: For example, cardholders can get exclusive pre-sale tickets and preferred seating for the Broadway musical “Once on This Island” through Dec. 16.
- Earn points with Uber: American Express cardholders can spend Membership Rewards points or earn 2x points on Uber rides (which might with shopping or just getting home safe after a holiday party).
- Spend points on gifts and travel: Cardholders can pay with points on Amazon, Best Buy, Airbnb, Ticketmaster, Expedia and other sites.
- BankAmeriDeals: Bank of America cardholders can earn up to 15 percent cash back by logging onto the issuer’s shopping portal and by using the bank’s mobile app. BankAmeriDeals include cash back at stores, restaurants and more. Choose and activate your deals and your account will be credited with the cash back by the end of the next month.
- Support breast cancer research by charging holiday purchases on the Pink Ribbon Cash Rewards Visa, a Bank of America spokeswoman suggests. Cardholders earn 2 percent cash back at grocery stores and wholesale clubs and 3 percent on gas, and every purchase benefits the Susan G. Komen Foundation.
Capital One doesn’t offer holidays specials, but ongoing credit card promotions can help cardholders save on music streaming and dining out this holiday season.
- Spotify + Quicksilver: Quicksilver cardholders get a 50 percent discount on Spotify Premium through April 2018 when they use their cards to pay for their monthly subscription.
- Capital One’s new Savor card offers unlimited 3 percent cash back on dining (including gift cards bought at restaurants) and 2 percent on groceries (including ingredients to make your mom’s holiday cookies).
- 10 percent savings on select gift cards for Freedom and Freedom Unlimited cardholders purchased via the Ultimate Rewards site in November. “Don’t wait – there is a limited quantity of discounted gift cards available,” says Lauren Ryan, a Chase spokeswoman.
- Ultimate Rewards shopping portal: For each dollar spent, cardholders can earn up to 6 points at Macys.com or Bose and 8 points at Nike or Kate Spade now. (Deals change frequently.)
- Chase Pay Holiday Village: New York City shoppers can visit a village of 20 curated shops, receive special offers and participate in holiday activities
- Gift card redemptions: Choose from more than 150 gift cards, from $5 at Starbucks for 500 points to $500 worth of Carnival Cruises for 50,000 points.
- Exclusive events: For example, Chase and Marriott are holding a “Private Cupcake Decorating Party with Duff Goldman” Dec. 12 in Los Angeles.
Citi hasn’t announced holiday promotions, but ...
- Citi Price Rewind guarantees cardholders a lower price for 60 days at over 500 retailers if they register holiday (and any other) purchases. Citi cardholders can get back up to $500 per item and up to $2,500 per year with Citi Price Rewind. Citi issued more than $8.5 million in refunds to cardholders in 2016 and has issued $12.8 million in refunds from January to September 2017.
- Discover Deals: At Discover’s shopping portal, cardholders earn a 5 percent cash back bonus at Walmart.com and Apple.com, 20 percent off at Bath & Body Works online, 25 percent off select PCs at Lenovo.com, a free pretzel with any pretzel nuggets at Auntie Anne’s, and much more. Deals are updated regularly.
- Cash back bonus through Apple Pay. Select your Discover card in Apple Pay and make a qualifying purchase, then tap to redeem your cash back bonus as a statement credit in the amount of your purchase.
NAVY FEDERAL CREDIT UNION
- Earn double rewards at warehouse clubs by using your Navy Federal Visa Rewards card at Costco, BJ’s and Sam’s Club, and for Costco gas purchases through Dec. 31.
- Member Mall: Earn up to 15 points or 15 percent cash back for every $1 spent by shopping via the Navy Federal portal.
- MemberShop: Earn rewards credits by using the shopping portal to purchase items at stores including Home Depot, Macy’s, the Apple Store and Overstock.com.
- 10 percent discount on gift cards: Cardholders redeeming rewards from select retailers and receive a 10 percent discount (while supplies last) through Dec. 31. Choose from over 150 gift cards.
- Redeem rewards for Apple products. Wells Fargo customers can redeem their rewards for the latest products via a unique Apple experience, accessible through the bank’s Go Far Rewards site. Wells Fargo is the first financial institution in the U.S. to offer this, a Wells Fargo spokeswoman notes.
- Earn up to 10x bonus rewards at thousands of retailers by using Wells Fargo’s shopping portal. Merchandise redemption option this year with in-store pick up options where available.
Remember, these holiday card offers and perks are just starting to roll out. Get into the habit of checking your card’s website (and this page) before you book your holiday travel or hit the mall, online or off. Even if you don’t stumble on a great new promotion, you’ll be a step away from that shopping portal that will earn more points for purchases.
After the holiday craziness is over, you’ll be glad to have that extra stash of rewards to trade for a little self-pampering.
- Calling all foodies: Best credit cards for restaurants – Is eating out part of your everyday routine? Score cash back or rewards points by paying with the right card at restaurants; these cards can help ...
- How to offset pharmacy expenses by using credit cards – Cash back, rewards and travel cards can help bear the cost of pharmacy expenses. The choice will depend on where you usually shop for pharmaceuticals ...
- 'FOMO,' 'likes' and card debt: How Facebook might lead you to overspend – Facebook's business model makes it easy for advertisers to know almost everything about you, increasing the chances you overspend. Here's what you can do ...