Expert Q&A

How to clear credit of fraudulent card account

To Her Credit columnist Sally Herigstad

Sally Herigstad is a certified public accountant and the author of “Help! I Can’t Pay My Bills: Surviving a Financial Crisis” (St. Martin’s Press, 2006). She writes “To Her Credit,” a weekly reader Q&A column about issues involving women, credit and debt, for, and also wrote for MSN Money, and, and has guested on Martha Stewart Radio and other programs.

Ask a question.

Question for the expertDear To Her Credit,
Capital One Bank is claiming my daughter opened a credit card account when she was 17 years old. We know she did not — she doesn’t even believe in credit cards. The credit reports are claiming that this account is hers.

We have been fighting with them for over two years to get this off her credit report with no success. We are both becoming very aggravated. How can Capital One even issue her a card knowing she was 17, and why won’t they remove it from her credit reports?  — Carol

Answer for the expertDear Carol,
You are absolutely correct that they cannot hold your daughter responsible for a card opened when she was 17, especially one that was apparently opened by someone else. I’m not sure what your tactics for fighting this fiasco have been over the past two years, but it’s time for a new plan.

You have two battles to fight: The debt Capital One says she owes to them, and the negative mark on your daughter’s credit card. Sometimes people think resolving one issue automatically takes care of the other, but that’s not the case.

Calling on the phone to dispute the account isn’t working. If you can’t resolve a problem in one phone call, you generally should start writing letters instead.

Here are the steps you should take:

First, deal with the credit card company. Call or write to them and ask them to send a copy of the original credit card application to you. This will tell you if the signature was forged and if the birth date is correct. Then, write a letter to Capital One and tell them to stop collection efforts and stop reporting the account on your daughter’s credit reports.

The credit card company must investigate your claim, according to the Fair Credit Reporting Act. It must also report your dispute to the credit bureaus.

You have probably closed the account. Make sure that is actually the case by looking at your daughter’s credit report. She can get her report at, the official site to help consumers get their free credit report.

If you believe someone opened the account fraudulently, file a complaint of identity theft with the Federal Trade Commission. You must also file an identity theft report with your local police department.

Next, clean up the credit report. Send a copy of the letter you sent Capital One, along with a copy of the fraudulent application, to one of the credit bureaus. The credit bureau will investigate, usually within 30 days, and is required to notify the other credit bureaus.

Sometimes it takes more than one try to get the attention of someone who will fix your problem. If you cannot get this resolved with these steps, you may need to go to a consumer lawyer or a low-cost legal service. You can also file a credit card complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the federal consumer protection watchdog agency that launched in July 2011.

After Capital One is squared away and your daughter’s credit history is clear, be sure to keep a watchful eye on credit activity in her name. If someone stole her identity once, they may try again. She should check her credit report regularly and look for any activity she doesn’t recognize.

I’d put a credit freeze on her report as well. Yes, it will be harder for her to spontaneously open a credit card at the checkout counter, but it will also be harder for anyone else to open an account in her name on the fly.

Your daughter got kind of a rough initiation into the world of credit! With your help, however, she can put it behind her quickly. Good luck!

See related:5 steps to dispute a debt that’s not yours, How to dispute credit report errors

Meet’s reader Q&A experts

Does a personal finance problem have you worried? Monday through Saturday,’s Q&A experts answer questions from readers. Ask a question, or click on any expert to see their previous answers.

What’s up next?

In Expert Q&A

Tips for holding down costs of pet food, vet care

Fluffy and Fido are part of the family, so they need to part of the family budget, too. Here are ways to trim costs without sacrificing your pet’s quality of life

Published: August 9, 2012

See more stories
Credit Card Rate Report Updated: September 18th, 2019
Cash Back

Questions or comments?

Contact us

Editorial corrections policies

Learn more

Join the Discussion

We encourage an active and insightful conversation among our users. Please help us keep our community civil and respectful. For your safety, do not disclose confidential or personal information such as bank account numbers or social security numbers. Anything you post may be disclosed, published, transmitted or reused.

The editorial content on is not sponsored by any bank or credit card issuer. The journalists in the editorial department are separate from the company’s business operations. The comments posted below are not provided, reviewed or approved by any company mentioned in our editorial content. Additionally, any companies mentioned in the content do not assume responsibility to ensure that all posts and/or questions are answered.