Guide to the new Citi Rewards+? Card
A new way to earn more on your everyday spending
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we may receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy. The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. Please see the bank's website for the most current version of card offers; and please review our list of best credit cards to find our current offers, or use our CardMatchTM tool to find cards matched to your needs.
The following post has been sponsored by our partner, Citi. The analysis and opinions in the story are our own and may not reflect the views of Citi. Learn more about our editorial policy
If you’re looking for a no-stress rewards card that earns you more on the spending you do every day, Citi has an exciting new product. The bank recently launched the Citi Rewards+? Card, designed to reward users on transactions they already make.
With no rotating bonus categories to keep track of, the Rewards+ Card is a great option for users who want to earn rewards without the extra effort. The card offers 2 ThankYou points per dollar on common purchases at gas stations and supermarkets (up to $6,000 in purchases per year, then 1 point per dollar) and 1 ThankYou point per dollar on other purchases. While this might not seem like the greatest rewards rate, added benefits like a 10 percent bonus for redeeming ThankYou points (on up to 100,000 points per year) and a unique round up feature make it easy to stockpile rewards.
Also – great news for owners of Citi Premier? Cards and Citi Prestige Cards – the Rewards+ card’s 2x earning rate on supermarket purchases opens up an additional (and valuable) bonus category for stacking up points that can be transferred to these cards.
Why should you get it?
Thanks to a bonus category at gas stations and supermarkets and the generous round-up feature, the Citi Rewards+ card offers a good earning rate on the purchases you already make every day.
More things to know:
Why get the Citi Rewards+ Card?
For a card with no annual fee, the Citi Rewards+ Card has a pretty good rewards rate. The 2 ThankYou points per dollar bonus category might not sound like much, but the round up feature makes this card a strong competitor.
Round up your ThankYou Points
One of the most unique perks on the Citi Rewards+ Card is the round up feature, which rounds ThankYou points on every transaction to the nearest 10. This means a $2 muffin or $13 movie ticket will get you 10 and 20 ThankYou points, respectively. This benefit makes it easy to stockpile your rewards on even small purchases.
Good rewards on purchases at gas stations and supermarkets
On top of a solid rewards rate on general purchases, the Citi Rewards+ Card offers a bonus category for purchases at gas stations and supermarkets. The 2 ThankYou point per dollar rate is capped at $6,000 in purchases per year, which is comparable with similar rewards card. Even with the cap, you can still earn bonus points on $500 worth of supermarket and gas station purchases every month.
ThankYou point redemption bonus
To maximize your rewards points even further, the Citi Rewards+ card offers 10 percent back on the ThankYou points you redeem – up to 100,000 points per year. The redemption options for ThankYou points are flexible, including gift cards and travel purchases.
No-stress rewards program
Because the rewards you earn with the Citi Rewards+ Card are tailored toward the spending you already do every day, it is easy to eke great value out of the card. By using your Rewards+ Card for your day-to-day purchases, you can get rewarded without keeping track of rotating categories or weighing spending toward a particular kind of purchase.
Long introductory APR
With the Citi Rewards+ Card, you’ll also get a 0 percent intro APR for the first 12 months on both balance transfers and purchases (15.74-25.74% variable thereafter). This makes it easy to avoid interest charges if you need to pay down some debt or make a large purchase to pay off over time in the first year.
Who should get the Citi Rewards+ Card?
The Citi Rewards+ Card is designed for the spending patterns of most consumers, since gas and grocery payments make up a large portion of the average budget. So if you are looking for a card that can reward the spending you already do – without having to think about making more purchases in a certain category – the Citi Rewards+ Card can be a good choice for you.
The Rewards+ card is easy to use, with no rotating bonus categories to keep track of. The simplicity combined with no annual fee make this card a stress-free option for the average spender.
The Citi Rewards+ card is also a great no-fee option for current Citi cardholders seeking to earn extra ThankYou points through additional bonus categories.
How to maximize the Citi Rewards+ Card
- Use the card for most of your everyday purchases to earn rewards on everything you buy. Even a $3 coffee can earn you 10 ThankYou points thanks to the round up feature.
- Use the card for smaller purchases to boost your rewards rate. By earning 10 points on a $2 purchase, you’ll earn more overall than making a $50 purchase and earning 50 points.
- Use the card on all gas and groceries to earn bonus points.
- Max out the $6,000 spending cap on bonus category every year. You can stock up on gift cards at the supermarket or snacks at the gas station to make sure you are earning the most possible rewards.
- Redeem ThankYou points often to earn 10 percent back. Even if you aren’t planning a trip, you can redeem for gift cards to popular restaurants and retailers for as little as $25 (2,500 points).
- Rotate the Citi Rewards+ Card with other Citi cards that earn ThankYou points to earn bonus points in additional spending categories, including 2x points on dining and entertainment and 3x points on travel with the Citi Premier Card.
- Transfer your points to your Citi Premier Card account and redeem them for travel to earn a 25-percent bonus.
While the earning rate on the Citi Rewards+ Card doesn’t sound as impressive as some other rewards cards, added features make the card valuable for those looking for a straightforward rewards program. The round up feature and 10 percent back on ThankYou point redemption (on up to 100,000 points per year) make it easy to earn great rewards on all your purchases. By using the card on the things you already buy every day, you can stockpile ThankYou points with ease.
- Cash back alternatives that compete with top travel cards – Though travel cards sometimes have a better point value, many cash back cards offer rewards rates that make them a better choice ...
- Guide to Priority Pass lounges – This huge collection of airport lounges is a plushy escape for frequent travelers ...
- Southwest Airlines debuts flights to Hawaii – Southwest Airlines has officially started selling tickets to Hawaii. Flights from California to Hawaii are scheduled to begin March 17, 2019, with inter-island routes launching in April ...