Citi members can now access nearly twice the number of free ATMs
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy
Citibank has partnered with Cardtronics, the world’s largest owner and operator of ATMs, to provide over 30,000 additional fee-free ATMs in major cities throughout the U.S.
The agreement between Citi and Cardtronics practically doubles Citi’s network of fee-free ATMs for account holders in a variety of retail locations, including Costco, CVS and Target. Citi is also adding fee-free ATMs to Duane Reade and Walgreens in select locations.
"By nearly doubling our network of surcharge-free ATMs, we're making it even easier for Citibank customers to meet their banking needs on the go," Will Howle, head of U.S. retail banking at Citi, stated in a press release.
Fees on the rise
According to Bankrate’s annual checking account survey, out-of-network ATM fees averaged $4.57 per withdrawal in 2016 -- hitting a record high for the 10th year in a row.
By providing more ATM locations that allow Citi customers to perform essential banking activities free of charge -- such as withdrawing cash, checking account balances and transferring funds between primary linked accounts -- Citi aims to offer some welcome relief to its customers. Howle stated that Citi is committed “to delivering a higher level of value, convenience, service and expertise” to customers by offering enhanced product offerings as well as expanding its ATM network.
Reaching major metropolitan markets
The additional surcharge-free ATMs are available in most of the following store locations:
- Costco stores in Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.
- CVS stores in Los Angeles, Miami and San Francisco.
- Duane Reade stores in New York City.
- Target stores in New York and Washington, D.C.
Citi also plans to roll out fee-free ATMs in Chicago- and New York-based Walgreens locations later this year.
A full list of ATM locations can be viewed by visiting www.citi.com/locator, or via the Citi ATM Locator through the Citi Mobile App.
- Earn 17,500 bonus points with the Chase Freedom cards – If you are you looking for an inexpensive way to get a large influx of Ultimate Rewards points, the Chase Freedom and Freedom Unlimited cards offer large bonuses with low spending thresholds ...
- Citi Double Cash vs. Chase Freedom Unlimited – We crunched the numbers for the Citi Double Cash card and the Chase Freedom Unlimited card to help you decide which one takes the prize for best cash back card ...
- Discover it versus Discover it chrome – The Discover it and Discover it chrome are both good cash back cards that appeal to different types of cardholders. But instead of deciding which card is best for you, why not get both? ...