New United Explorer card offers 2x miles on hotels and restaurants
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date. Some of the offers mentioned below may no longer be available. Please review our list of best credit cards to find our current offers, or use our CardMatch tool to find cards matched to your needs.
Update: This offer is no longer available through our site as of Aug. 15, 2018.
Chase has launched a new version of the United Explorer card that includes a 2-mile bonus on restaurant purchases and hotel stays. Additionally, new cardholders who apply by Aug. 15, 2018, can earn a 40,000-mile sign-up bonus and a $100 statement credit.
Here are the updates at a glance:
- New look – The card features a new design.
- Increased sign-up bonus – Along with earning 40,000 miles after $2,000 spend, new cardholders who apply by Aug. 15, 2018, can earn a $100 statement credit after their first purchase.
- Increased rewards rate – Cardholders receive 2 miles per dollar on hotel stays and restaurant purchases.
- $100 application credit – Cardholders receive a $100 statement credit when applying for Global Entry or TSA Precheck.
- 25 percent discount – The card offers a 25 percent discount on in-flight purchases, including Wi-Fi and food purchases.
- Removal of price protection – The card no longer offers price protection, which previously covered the difference in price if an item had a lower advertised price within 90 days of purchasing it.
- Removal of return protection – The card no longer offers return protection, which previously reimbursed you for eligible items that a store wouldn't take back within 90 days of purchase.
- Decreased trip cancellation coverage – Chase has decreased the card’s trip cancellation coverage to $1,500.
Existing cardholders will will automatically be upgraded to the new offer.
Comparing United Explorer card offers
In addition to earning 2 miles per dollar on hotel stays and restaurant purchases, cardholders will continue to earn 2 miles per dollar tickets purchased from United and 1 mile per dollar on general purchases. See how the new offer compares to the previous offer in the table below:
|Updated offer||Previous offer|
|Annual fee||$95, waived first year||$95, waived first year|
Should you apply now?
If you’re interested in earning an influx of miles to use toward summer travel, now is a good time to sign up for the United Explorer card. Although the card has offered a higher, 50,000-mile sign-up bonus in the past, the addition of the $100 statement credit makes the current 40,000-mile bonus that much sweeter.
Also, the $2,000 spend threshold required to earn the new bonus is relatively low. By contrast, the 50,000-mile bonus required cardholders to spend $3,000 in the first three months to receive the bonus.
To take advantage of the 40,000-mile bonus and $100 statement credit, apply for the United Explorer card by Aug. 15, 2018.
See related: Earn 40,000 bonus miles and a $100 statement credit with the Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card, United MileagePlus Dining guide, MileagePlus X: A unique, mobile way to earn miles on United
- A guide to the Wells Fargo Go Far Rewards program – Though they get less press than other programs, Go Far Rewards offer solid redemption value and good redemption options -- our guide explains how to make the most of Wells Fargo rewards ...
- 8 ways to earn IHG points – You don't have to stay at an IHG hotel to rack up points ...
- Which IHG credit card is best for you? – Depending on how frequently you travel, either IHG credit card might make sense for you ...