Chase and Southwest boost sign-up bonuses to 60,000 points
Limited-time promotion comes just in time for summer travel
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy
Chase has added 20,000 points to the sign-up bonuses for the Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Visa Signature card and the Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier card – just in time for summer travel. The new offers allow cardholders to earn 60,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 in the first three months of card membership, for a limited time.
In addition to a 60,000-point sign-up bonus, each of these cards offers rewards on all purchases and an annual bonus. Cardholders receive two points per dollar on Southwest purchases and Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partner purchases, along with one point per dollar on all other purchases. The Rapid Rewards Plus card offers a 3,000-point bonus after your card member anniversary, and the Rapid Rewards Premier card offers a 6,000-point bonus after your anniversary.
Southwest airline perks
Rapid Rewards Plus and Rapid Rewards Premier cardholders can take advantage of the host of benefits that Southwest Airlines has to offer, including the following:
- Free checked bags – You will not be charged for your first two checked bags on any flight.
- Southwest Companion Pass – Receive a Companion Pass after 100 one-way flights, or after earning 110,000 points in one calendar year. The pass entitles you to choose one person to fly free with you every time you purchase or redeem points for a flight for the remainder of the year in which you earn it as well as the following full calendar year.
- No change fees – Pay no additional fees to change flights – you will only be responsible for paying the cost in fare difference, if applicable.
- No blackout dates – There are no blackout dates or seat restrictions when you redeem points for Southwest flights.
Additionally, the Rapid Rewards Premier card does not incur foreign transaction fees for travel outside the U.S., unlike the Rapid Rewards Plus card.
Chase said the offer was for a limited time, but did not specify an end date for the promotion.
60K-point sign-up bonuses
The Southwest cards join a group of credit cards that also offer 60,000-point sign-up bonuses, including the following:
|CREDIT CARDS WITH 60K-POINT SIGN-UP BONUSES|
|Credit card||Sign-up bonus||Estimated value of bonus*||Annual fee|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Visa Signature||60,000 points after $2,000 spend in first 3 months||$942||$69|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier||60,000 points after $2,000 spend in first 3 months||$942||$99|
|Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard||60,000 miles after $3,000 spend in first 3 months (Update: Offer no longer available through our site)||$1,200||$95, waived first year|
|CitiBusiness/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard||60,000 miles after $3,000 spend in first 3 months (Update: Offer no longer available through our site)||$1,200||$95, waived first year|
|Platinum card from American Express||60,000 points after $5,000 spend in first 3 months||$714||$550|
is based on our estimated value of each card’s rewards points.
We estimate the rewards for the Southwest cards to be valued at 1.57 cents per point – a fairly modest amount. However, once you combine the sign-up bonuses with the annual bonuses, you have the potential to earn approximately $989 worth of rewards for the Plus card and $1,036 worth of rewards for the Premier card in the first year of card membership. This brings the cards’ values closer to that of the Citi AAdvantage cards.
The Platinum card from American Express also offers a 60,000-point sign-up bonus. However, the spend requirement is higher – cardholders must spend $5,000 in three months to receive the bonus – and the value of the sign-up bonus is significantly lower, at $714. The Platinum AmEx also has a much higher annual fee of $550, but that’s to be expected from a premium card that offers a variety of luxurious perks, such as a $200 annual Uber credit and a $200 annual airline credit.
Are you eligible?
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus and Rapid Rewards Premier cards are available only to new cardholders who have not received a new card member bonus for either card within the past 24 months.
See related: Citi launches limited-time 60,000 offer for AAdvantage Platinum Select cards, American Express Platinum card amps up sign-up bonus to 60,000 points, American Express doubles the sign-up bonuses for Delta SkyMiles cards
- Earn 17,500 bonus points with the Chase Freedom cards – If you are you looking for an inexpensive way to get a large influx of Ultimate Rewards points, the Chase Freedom and Freedom Unlimited cards offer large bonuses with low spending thresholds ...
- Citi Double Cash vs. Chase Freedom Unlimited – We crunched the numbers for the Citi Double Cash card and the Chase Freedom Unlimited card to help you decide which one takes the prize for best cash back card ...
- Discover it versus Discover it chrome – The Discover it and Discover it chrome are both good cash back cards that appeal to different types of cardholders. But instead of deciding which card is best for you, why not get both? ...