If you’re a fan of United Airlines and looking for an easy way to earn an influx of bonus miles, the Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card is a great option.
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we may receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. Please see the bank’s website for the most current version of card offers; and please review our list of best credit cards, or use our CardMatch™ tool to find cards matched to your needs.
United MileagePlus Explorer cardholders can earn the following rewards:
- 50,000 bonus miles after spending $3,000 in the first three months of account opening.
- 5,000 bonus miles after adding an authorized user and making your first purchase in the first three months of account opening.
- 10,000 bonus miles after spending $25,000 on your card each calendar year.
- Two miles per $1 spent on airline tickets purchased directly from United.
- One mile per $1 spent on all other purchases.
Reward miles can be redeemed toward travel expenses, including one-way and round trip flights, hotel rooms, cruises and car rentals. Cardholders can use United’s interactive award chart to plan trips and see exactly how their miles convert to travel.
Exploring more benefits
In addition to its considerable rewards offer, the United MileagePlus card offers a variety of benefits, including the following:
- Free first checked bag — The primary card member and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights — saving card members up to $100 per round trip.
- Priority boarding — The primary card member and companions traveling on the same reservation will be allowed to board United-operated flights before general boarding.
- No foreign transaction fees — Cardholders will not be charged foreign transaction fees for card purchases made outside of the U.S.
- Two United Club passes — Each year on card members’ anniversaries, they will receive two United Club passes, where they can enjoy complimentary beverages, snacks, Wi-Fi and other amenities.
- Added security — Chip-enabled cards provide greater security in the U.S. and abroad.
Although the MileagePlus card carries many benefits, it includes a $95 annual fee after the first year. Also, the 50k offer is only available to new applicants who have not received the bonus for this card in the past 24 months.
Additionally, due to Chase’s “5/24” rule, applicants who have opened five new credit card accounts within the past two years may not be approved for the United MileagePlus card.
50,000-point card offers on the rise
With the growing popularity of rewards programs among consumers, some credit card companies feel the need to offer higher sign-up bonuses in order to remain competitive. According to a 2015 American Bankers Association survey, “An overwhelming majority of credit card users — 83 percent — have rewards programs associated with their cards.” This is an increase from 77 percent in 2012.
By offering an increased sign-up bonus, the United MileagePlus Explorer card now competes with a handful of credit cards that also offer a 50,000-point sign-up bonus, including the following:
|50,000-POINT SIGN-UP BONUS OFFERS|
|Credit card||Sign-up bonus||Bonus terms|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred||50,000 points||After spending $4,000 in first 3 months|
|Chase Sapphire Reserve||50,000 points||After spending $4,000 in first 3 months|
|Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard||50,000 miles||After spending $3,000 in first 90 days|
|Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard||60,000 AAdvantage miles (Update: Offer no longer available through our site)||After spending $3,000 in first 3 months|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus||50,000 Rapid Rewards points||After spending $2,000 in first 3 months|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier||50,000 Rapid Rewards points||After spending $2,000 in first 3 months|
|British Airways Visa Signature|
(Update: Offer no longer available through our site)
|50,000 Avios||After spending $3,000 in first 3 months|
|The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date. Please see the bank’s website for the most current version of the offer.|