Chase offers hefty 50,000 sign-up bonus to new United MileagePlus Explorer cardholders
By Tracy Brackman | Published: February 6, 2017
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy
Chase has announced a generous increase to the sign-up bonus for the United MileagePlus Explorer card. Now, cardholders can earn 50,000 bonus miles -- an increase of 20,000 miles over the card’s previous bonus -- after making $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of opening an account. The new offer gives cardholders the opportunity to earn more than 65,000 bonus miles in the first year of card membership.
United MileagePlus Explorer cardholders can earn the following rewards:
- 50,000 bonus miles after spending $3,000 in the first three months of account opening.
- 5,000 bonus miles after adding an authorized user and making your first purchase in the first three months of account opening.
- 10,000 bonus miles after spending $25,000 on your card each calendar year.
- Two miles per $1 spent on airline tickets purchased directly from United.
- One mile per $1 spent on all other purchases.
Reward miles can be redeemed toward travel expenses, including one-way and round trip flights, hotel rooms, cruises and car rentals. Cardholders can use United’s interactive award chart to plan trips and see exactly how their miles convert to travel.
Exploring more benefits
In addition to its considerable rewards offer, the United MileagePlus card offers a variety of benefits, including the following:
- Free first checked bag -- The primary card member and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights -- saving card members up to $100 per round trip.
- Priority boarding -- The primary card member and companions traveling on the same reservation will be allowed to board United-operated flights before general boarding.
- No foreign transaction fees -- Cardholders will not be charged foreign transaction fees for card purchases made outside of the U.S.
- Two United Club passes -- Each year on card members’ anniversaries, they will receive two United Club passes, where they can enjoy complimentary beverages, snacks, Wi-Fi and other amenities.
- Added security -- Chip-enabled cards provide greater security in the U.S. and abroad.
Although the MileagePlus card carries many benefits, it includes a $95 annual fee after the first year. Also, the 50k offer is only available to new applicants who have not received the bonus for this card in the past 24 months.
Additionally, due to Chase’s “5/24” rule, applicants who have opened five new credit card accounts within the past two years may not be approved for the United MileagePlus card.
50k card offers on the rise
With the growing popularity of rewards programs among consumers, some credit card companies feel the need to offer higher sign-up bonuses in order to remain competitive. According to a 2015 American Bankers Association survey, “An overwhelming majority of credit card users -- 83 percent -- have rewards programs associated with their cards.” This is an increase from 77 percent in 2012.
By offering an increased sign-up bonus, the United MileagePlus Explorer card now competes with a handful of credit cards that also offer a 50,000-point sign-up bonus, including the following:
|50K SIGN-UP BONUS OFFERS|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred||50,000 points||After spending $4,000 in first 3 months|
|Chase Sapphire Reserve||50,000 points||After spending $4,000 in first 3 months|
|Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard||50,000 miles||After spending $3,000 in first 90 days|
|Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard|| 50,000 AAdvantage miles (Update: Offer no longer available through our site)
||After spending $3,000 in first 3 months|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus||50,000 Rapid Rewards points||After spending $2,000 in first 3 months|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier||50,000 Rapid Rewards points||After spending $2,000 in first 3 months|
British Airways Visa Signature
(Update: Offer no longer available through our site)
|50,000 Avios||After spending $3,000 in first 3 months|
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date. Please see the bank’s website for the most current version of the offer.
- Is Amazon Prime worth it? – We crunched the numbers for seven Amazon Prime perks to help you figure out if the benefits outweigh the $99 fee ...
- Venture card from Capital One raises sign-up bonus to 50,000 miles – New Venture cardholders can now receive a one-time 50,000-mile bonus after spending $3,000 in the first three months of card membership ...
- Blue Cash Everyday versus Blue Cash Preferred: Which is best for you? – The Blue Cash Preferred and Blue Cash Everyday cards both offer high rates of cash back on gas and groceries. But if you’re avoiding the Preferred version due to its $95 fee, we think you should give the card a second look ...