Chase and British Airways boost sign-up bonus to 100K Avios
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy
Chase has relaunched its 100,000 bonus Avios offer for the British Airways Visa Signature card – an increase of 25,000 Avios over the previous offer.
The generous sign-up bonus, which was originally offered in 2010 and again in 2016 and 2017, is available to new British Airways cardholders and to those who have not received a sign-up bonus for the card in the past 24 months.
The sign-up bonus is awarded in the following tiers:
- 50k tier – Earn 50,000 bonus Avios after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months.
- 75k tier – Earn an additional 25,000 bonus Avios after spending another $7,000 (for a total of $10,000) in the first year.
- 100k tier – Earn an extra 25,000 bonus Avios after spending an additional $10,000 (for a total of $20,000) in the first year.
Avios points can be redeemed toward flights with British Airways, American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Iberia and other oneworld travel partners, as well as toward hotel stays, car rentals and travel experiences. Points don’t expire as long as your account remains active. That means you must collect, spend, buy or transfer at least one Avios point every three years.
Spending money to earn rewards
Unfortunately, the spending threshold required to receive the 100,000-point sign-up bonus is steep: Cardholders must charge $20,000 in the first year to receive the full bonus. However, if you have the means to meet the spending requirements, you will find that 100,000 Avios can go a long way. By our estimates, savvy cardholders who know where to find the sweet spots in British Airways’ rewards program can obtain an average value of 2.3 cents per Avios.
The British Airways card comes with several other great benefits that help outweigh the price, including:
- 3x rewards – Cardholders receive 3 Avios points for each dollar spent directly with British Airways, OpenSkies and Iberia, for airfare and flight-related services.
- 1x rewards – Cardholders receive 1 Avios for each dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Free companion ticket – As a card member, you receive a complimentary Travel Together Ticket each year that you make $30,000 in purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees – You will not be charged foreign transaction fees for purchases made outside of the U.S.
- Automatic Executive Club enrollment – Your Executive Club membership allows you to take advantage of exclusive benefits, such as member-only deals.
- Travel protection – Cardholders receive compensation for baggage delays, reimbursement for lost luggage and a waiver for auto rental collision damage.
Should you apply now?
Because the 100,000 Avios offer is the highest sign-up bonus offered by the British Airways card historically, now is a great time to sign up for the card. Additionally, keep in mind that you must spend $30,000 in a calendar year to receive a Travel Together Ticket. Since a calendar year is from January 1 through December 31, the earlier in the year you apply for the card, the more time you’ll have to reach the required spend threshold.
- Redeeming your credit card rewards for moments and experiences – We have compiled an ongoing list of experiences and moments that can be purchased or bid on using credit cards rewards or cash ...
- MOGL dining rewards program guide – The MOGL dining rewards program includes a charitable twist and offers easy access to your cash back ...
- New Air France-KLM card offers 25,000 bonus miles – Bank of America and Air France-KLM have partnered to launch a co-branded airline rewards card. Along with its 25,000-mile sign-up bonus, the new Air France KLM World Elite Mastercard offers bonus miles on every purchase ...