Starting Feb. 23, 2017, new Blue Cash Everyday and Blue Cash Preferred cardholders who apply for either card by May 3, 2017 will earn 10 percent cash back on purchases made at U.S. restaurants in the first six months, up to $200 back.
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we may receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. Please see the bank’s website for the most current version of card offers; and please review our list of best credit cards, or use our CardMatch™ tool to find cards matched to your needs.
Update: As of May 3, 2017, this offer is no longer available through our site.
American Express has launched a limited-time offer for their popular Blue Cash Everyday and Blue Cash Preferred cards. Starting Feb. 23, 2017, new cardholders who apply for either card by May 3, 2017 will earn 10 percent cash back on purchases made at U.S. restaurants in the first six months, up to $200 back.
Earn bonus cash back at supermarkets and gas stations
New Blue Cash Preferred cardholders receive $150 back after spending $1,000 in the first three months of card membership. Additional rewards include six percent cash back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 in purchases per year (one percent thereafter), two percent cash back on purchases made at U.S. gas stations and select department stores, and one percent back on all other purchases.
The Blue Cash Everyday card offers cardholders $100 back after making $1,000 in purchases in the first three months of card membership. Cardholders also earn three percent cash back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 in purchases per year (one percent thereafter), two percent cash back on purchases made at U.S. gas stations and select department stores, and one percent back on all other purchases.
The cards do not have rotating rewards categories, and cardholders are not required to enroll in order to participate in the rewards program.
Perks beyond cash back
Besides generous cash back rewards, the Blue Cash Preferred and Blue Cash Everyday cards extend an array of card benefits and perks to cardholders.
Additional card benefits include:
- Travel benefits — Benefits include car rental loss and damage insurance, access to the Global Assist hotline, roadside assistance and travel accident insurance.
- Purchase protection — Purchases made using the Blue Cash Preferred and Blue Cash Everyday cards are protected against accidental damage and theft for up to 90 days from the date of purchase. Items are covered up to $1,000 per occurrence and $50,000 per calendar year.
- Return protection — If a merchant refuses to accept a returned item within 90 days from date of purchase, American Express may provide a refund up to $300 per item, and $1,000 per calendar year.
- ShopRunner membership — Card members receive a complimentary ShopRunner membership, which offers free two-day shipping when shopping at more than 140 online stores in the ShopRunner network.
- Cash back tracker — Card members can access their online accounts to receive up-to-date information on reward balances, spending and reward possibilities.
- Year-end summary — Card members can review annual spending by accessing their year-end summary of charges.
While the Blue Cash Everyday carries no annual fee, the Preferred version has an annual fee of $95.
Blue Cash cardholders receive cash back rewards in the form of Blue Cash Reward Dollars. Reward dollars can be redeemed for statement credits in increments of $25, once the account balance reaches $25 or more.
Cash back cannot be used to pay the account holder’s minimum balance due. However, at times, American Express may give cardholders the option of redeeming reward dollars in other forms, such as gift cards and merchandise.
For more details on how to maximize their reward-earning potential, cardholders can visit americanexpress.com/rewards-info.