Read on to see how by combining the generous rewards rate with the annual bonus you can earn more than 75,000 miles each year with the new Barclays Arrival Premier World Mastercard.
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we may receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy.
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of the offers mentioned may have expired. Please see the bank’s website for the most current version of card offers; and please review our list of best credit cards, or use our CardMatch™ tool to find cards matched to your needs.
Update: This offer is no longer available through our site as of Oct. 5, 2018.
Barclays Bank has launched a unique new travel credit card that awards cardholders for their loyalty. Instead of offering a one-time sign-up bonus, as many cards do, the Barclays Arrival Premier World Elite Mastercard gives cardholders the opportunity to earn up to 25,000 bonus miles every year.
How it works: Arrival Premier cardholders earn 15,000 bonus miles each year they spend $15,000 and an extra 10,000 bonus miles when they spend an additional $10,000.
Rachana Bhatt, managing director of U.S. branded card business for Barclays, explained that unlike “cards that offer front-end bonuses and that’s it – this card is designed to offer value over the long term.”
A simple everyday rewards rate
Rewards cards often offer bonus miles for travel, restaurants or other spending categories, but only 1 mile per dollar on all other purchases. The Arrival Premier card, by contrast, offers a high, flat rate of 2 miles per dollar on everything you buy.
How this adds up: Arrival Premier cardholders who charge $25,000 in a year will earn 50,000 miles. Once you add in the 25,000-mile annual bonus earned from charging that $25,000, you will receive a total of 75,000 miles in one year.
|Barclays Arrival Premier World Elite Mastercard|
2 miles per dollar on general purchases
Why use it?If you plan to remain loyal to one credit card over a long period of time and can afford to make $25,000 in purchases annually, the Arrival Premier World Elite card is a great option. Not only can you earn a generous rewards rate on every purchase, you can also earn 25,000 bonus points each year.
|Estimated Yearly Rewards Value ($15,900 spend)|
The annual bonus is awarded as soon as you reach the spend threshold and will reset on your cardmember anniversary.
Not your average travel rewards card
Barclays bills the new Arrival card as the premier global travel card. The card offers Mastercard World Elite benefits, including concierge service, ShopRunner membership, price protection, baggage delay insurance and trip cancellation insurance.
The Arrival Premier card also includes the following travel perks:
- No foreign transaction fees
- $100 statement credit for Global Entry/TSA PreCheck every five years
- Access to more than 800 airport lounges worldwide
- Miles can be transferred to participating travel programs, including Japan Airlines, Air France/KLM/Flying Blue, Qantas, Malaysia Airlines, Aeromexico, China Eastern, EVA Air, Etihad and Jet Privilege
- Chip-and-PIN protection means maximum global acceptance with PIN capability for use at self-service chip terminals around the world
Is it worth it?
Here are a few tips to make the most of this card:
- Charge approximately $2,000 to your card each month to reach the $25,000 spend threshold and earn the highest possible bonus each year.
- Instead of shuffling between different cards, use your Arrival Premier World Elite card for all your spending to earn an unlimited 2 points per dollar on every purchase.
- Keep the card for at least three years to earn annual bonuses equivalent to the sign-up bonuses of other premium travel cards, which sometimes range from 50,000 to 75,000 points.
Arrival Plus World Elite cardholders
The launch of the Arrival Premier card doesn’t affect holders of the Barclays Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard. The Arrival Premier card is open only to new card applicants now, but Barclays plans to open the card to existing Plus cardholders in the next month or two.