New Barclays Upromise World Mastercard to offer 1.25 percent back on every purchase
The editorial content
below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not
driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you
click on links to products from our partners. Learn
more about our advertising policy
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy
Saving for college is about to get even more rewarding – thanks to an upgraded offer for the Upromise Mastercard. The updated card, known as the Upromise World Mastercard, will give cardholders 1.25 percent back on every purchase, plus a 15 percent bonus after linking their Upromise program account to an eligible 529 College Savings Plan.
According to Michael Bolmer, VP of travel, entertainment and affinity partnerships at Barclays, the two main goals of the Upromise World Mastercard are to “simplify rewards and help families save for college.”
A simplified rewards structure
The current Upromise Mastercard offers a tiered rewards structure that ranges from 1 to 5 percent cash back based on different spending categories. Making things a little more complicated, the highest rewards rates are restricted to purchases made through the Upromise network and shopping portal. For example, cardholders earn 5 percent back at participating online shopping partners through Upromise.com and 5 percent back at restaurants within the Upromise network.
The updated Upromise World Mastercard, on the other hand, will offer a simplified, flat-rate approach: 1.25 percent cash back on everything you buy with a 15 percent cash back bonus offer.
|Current offer||Upcoming offer|
A 15 percent cash back bonus
The Upromise World Mastercard offers a unique bonus designed to incentivize cardholders to add money to college savings accounts.
When you link your Upromise program to an eligible 529 College Savings Plan account, you will receive a 15 percent bonus on the cash back you earn. For example, if you earn $50 in cash back, you will receive an additional $7.50 in bonus cash back – for a total of $57.50 in cash back.
Along with the 15 percent bonus, the Upromise World Mastercard will offer a variety of perks, including:
- Upromise Round Up – Round your purchases up to the next dollar and use the change toward college savings.
- Free FICO score – Get complimentary online access to your FICO credit score.
- No foreign transaction fees – Pay no foreign transaction fees for purchases made abroad.
- Extended warranty – Manufacturer warranties that are 24 months or less will be extended on covered items.
- Purchase Assurance – If an eligible item is stolen or damaged, Purchase Assurance replaces, repairs or reimburses you for the item.
When can you apply?
If you currently have a Upromise Mastercard, you can expect to automatically receive the upgraded Upromise World Mastercard in June 2018. New customers will have access to the offer later in 2018.
- Discover it® Cash Back vs. Discover it® Student Cash Back: Which is best for you? – The Discover it Cash Back card and Discover it Student card are two great options for college students -- we'll help you decide which is best for you ...
- United Airlines MileagePlus Shopping guide – Our guide to MileagePlus Shopping shows you how to earn more miles through United's shopping portal ...
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express vs. The Platinum Card® from American Express – For frequent Delta flyers, the Gold Delta SkyMiles card and the Platinum Card from American Express are both great options -- we'll help you figure out which one is best for you ...