American Express Rewards guide: The best ways to earn and use Membership Rewards points
Researcher, analyst and editor
Photo Credit: Manuel Moreno / Unsplash
The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date. Please see the bank’s website for the most current version of card offers.
If you love luxury travel perks, or if you love collecting large sign-up bonuses to finance your travels around the world, then you should consider signing up for an American Express Membership Rewards card or two.
What is American Express Membership Rewards?
The American Express Membership Rewards loyalty program is the rewards program of choice for frequent travelers who love lounge access and other luxury travel perks. The program has it quirks, but thanks to its prodigious array of cards with generous sign-up bonuses and a large list of travel partners that you can transfer points to (mostly at a 1:1 rate), the Membership Rewards program should definitely be a point on your journey toward traveling the world on rewards points.
American Express Membership Rewards program overview
|Type of currency||Flexible points|
|Average point value||1.19 cents|
Preferred card, Blue
Rewards Gold card, Platinum
card, Blue Business Plus card, Business Green Rewards card, Business
Gold Rewards card, Business
Platinum card, Mercedes-Benz card, Ameriprise Financial Gold card,
Ameriprise Financial Platinum card, Morgan Stanley card, Morgan Stanley
Platinum card, Schwab Platinum card
hotels, vacations, cruises, merchandise, gift cards, Expedia travel, Uber/NYC
taxi, event tickets, donations, statement credits, transfer to a travel partner
|Minimum required to redeem||
|Do rewards expire?||No|
|Blackout dates/travel restrictions||None. If a flight or a hotel room is available, you can book it with your rewards.|
|Point transfer options||
- What are American Express points worth?
- Which cards earn American Express rewards points?
- 9 ways to earn American Express points
- American Express transfer partners
- Best ways to spend American Express points
Latest offers from American Express
- American Express EveryDay card removes balance transfer fee
- American Express Platinum card amps up sign-up bonus to 60k points
- American Express Business Platinum card to offer 5x Membership Rewards
Other news and advice
- How to transfer Amex points between airlines
- American Express makes paying for items through Facebook simpler
- American Express Premier Rewards Gold card vs. American Express Platinum card
- Get up to 70,000 bonus miles with AmEx Delta SkyMiles cards for a limited time – American Express is running a special promotion from March 1 until April 11, 2018 that doubles the sign-up bonuses for the Platinum Delta SkyMiles and Gold Delta SkyMiles cards ...
- MileagePlus X: A unique, mobile way to earn miles on United – United Airlines MileagePlus X is a unique app that lets you earn miles on everyday purchases. This step-by-step will help you master its use and score major reward miles ...
- Citi hikes ThankYou Premier card’s sign-up bonus to 50,000 points – Citi has upped the sign-up bonus for the ThankYou Premier card by 20,000 points. The new offer lets cardholders earn 50,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 in the first three months of account opening ...