American Express doubles the sign-up bonuses for Delta SkyMiles cards
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy
Update: This offer is no longer available through our site.
American Express has doubled the sign-up bonuses for the Gold Delta SkyMiles and Platinum Delta SkyMiles cards for a limited time. Gold Delta SkyMiles cardholders can now earn 60,000 bonus miles after spending $3,000 in the first four months of account opening – an increase of 30,000 miles over the previous offer – while Platinum Delta SkyMiles cardholders can earn 70,000 bonus miles after spending $4,000 in the first fourth months of account opening – an increase of 35,000 miles. These offers are scheduled to end on July 5, 2017.
In addition to generous sign-up bonuses, Delta SkyMiles cards offer a variety of ways to earn rewards.
Gold Delta SkyMiles cardholders can earn the following:
- $50 statement credit – Receive a $50 statement credit after making a Delta purchase within the first four months. Offer ends July 5, 2017.
- 2X miles – Earn 2 miles per dollar on purchases made directly with Delta Airlines.
- 1X miles – Earn 1 mile per dollar on all other purchases.
Platinum Delta SkyMiles cardholders can earn the following:
- 10,000 MQMs bonus – Receive 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles after spending $4,000 in the first four months. Offer ends July 5, 2017.
- $100 statement credit – After making a purchase within the first four months, receive a $100 statement credit. Offer ends July 5, 2017.
- Annual bonus – Earn up to 10,000 miles and 10,000 MQMs after spending $25,000 in a calendar year. Earn an additional 10,000 miles and 10,000 MQMs (for a total of 20,000 miles and 20,000 MQMs) after spending $50,000 in a calendar year.
- 2X miles – Earn 2 miles per dollar on Delta purchases.
- 1X miles – Earn 1 mile per dollar on all other purchases.
Additional card perks include no foreign transaction fees and no charge for your first checked bag.
Time to sign up for a Delta SkyMiles card
At 60,000 and 70,000 miles, the sign-up bonuses for the Gold Delta SkyMiles card and the Platinum Delta SkyMiles card are among the highest currently available for an airline rewards credit card.
See how these cards compare to similar airline rewards cards:
|Airline rewards credit cards with large sign-up bonuses|
|Credit card||Sign-up bonus||Estimated value of bonus*||Annual bonus|
|Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express||• 60k after $3,000 spend in first 4 months
• $50 statement credit after first Delta purchase in first 4 months (offers end 7/5/17)
|Platinum Delta SkyMiles from American Express||• 70k miles after $4,000 spend in first 4 months
• 10k MQMs after $4,000 spend in first 4 months
• $100 statement credit after first Delta purchase in first 4 months (offer ends 7/5/17)
|$945||• 10k miles and 10k MQMs each year you spend $25,000
• Additional 10k miles and 10k MQMs each year you spend $50,000
|British Airways Visa Signature card||• 50k Avios after $3,000 spend in first 3 months
• 25k additional Avios (75k total) after $10,000 spend in first year
• 25k additional Avios (100k total) after $20,000 spend in first year
|$2,290||• Travel Together Ticket each year you spend $30,000|
|Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard||• 60k miles after $3,000 spend in first 3 months (Update: Offer no longer available through our site)||$1,200||• 10% of redeemed miles back each year|
|Chase United MileagePlus Explorer||• 50k miles after $3,000 spend in first 3 months
• 5k miles after adding authorized user and making purchase in first 3 months
|$836||• 10k miles each year you spend $25,000|
|The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date. Please see the bank’s website for the most current version of the offer.
*Bonus value is based on our estimated value of each card’s rewards points.
The British Airways Visa Signature card currently offers the most generous and most valuable sign-up bonus, maxing out at 100,000 Avios for cardholders who manage to meet the spend requirements in the first year. However, those spend requirements are steep: You would have to spend an average of $1,667 per month on the card over 12 months in order to earn the full bonus.
For travelers looking for an ample sign-up bonus with very reasonable spend requirements, the Gold Delta SkyMiles card rivals the AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard as one of the best offers available at the moment.
Which of these offers is better? It depends. AAdvantage miles seem to be worth more on average than SkyMiles, and we estimate a higher value for the bonus on the AAdvantage card, but here’s the rub: The Gold Delta SkyMiles card is issued by American Express, which has a policy of restricting sign-up bonuses on its individual cards to once in a cardholder’s lifetime. For cardholders who like to collect large sign-up bonuses, it is best to spring for an American Express card when the card’s sign-up bonus is elevated. Now may be the ideal time to apply for the Gold Delta SkyMiles card, if you haven’t held the card previously.
Note that the Platinum Delta SkyMiles card also offers the opportunity to earn a bonus of up to 20,000 miles – worth $270 – and 20,000 MQMs each year. While an extra $270 never hurt anyone, keep in mind that, in order to receive that annual bonus, you also have to make $50,000 in purchases using your credit card each year.
See related: Delta SkyMiles members can earn up to 3X miles with Lyft, Citi launches limited-time 60k offer for AAdvantage Platinum Select cards, Chase and British Airways boost sign-up bonus to 100k Avios
- Discover’s new business card pays 1.5 percent cash back on every purchase – The Discover it Business card is a great option for business owners who want a straightforward approach to earning rewards. In addition to offering 1.5 percent cash back on every purchase, the card matches all the cash back you earn in the first year ...
- Coming soon: Earn 60,000 bonus points with Chase Sapphire Banking – On the heels of the Sapphire Banking launch, Chase has unveiled plans to launch an exclusive offer to Chase Sapphire cardholders sometime in October 2018 ...
- 12 ways to earn Marriott points – Get an overview of the 12 best ways to earn Marriott points quickly ...