AmEx’s new Cash MagnetSM card offers a $300 bonus and 1.5 percent back on every purchase
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy
American Express has launched a new, flat-rate cash back card that lets cardholders earn up to $300 back for a limited time. In addition to the introductory bonus, the no-fee Cash Magnet card offers an unlimited 1.5 percent cash back on every purchase.
Limited-time bonus offer
The Cash Magnet card is running a limited-time promotion for new cardholders who sign up by July 18, 2018. Cardholders will earn $150 back when they spend $1,000 in the first three months, and an extra $150 back when they spend an extra $6,500 in the first 12 months – for a total of $300 in the first year.
|American Express Cash Magnet card|
Why use it?
Cardholders who want a simplified approach to earning rewards can benefit from the Cash Magnet card’s flat-rate rewards structure. Additionally, if you plan to transfer or carry a balance, the card’s long introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers make it ideal.
|Estimated Yearly Rewards Value ($15,900 spend)
At first glance, $7,500 may appear to be a high spend requirement to receive the total bonus. However, since we estimate that the standard cardholder spends $15,900 each year on dining, gas, clothes and general purchases, the average consumer shouldn’t have a difficult time reaching the spend threshold.
Cash Magnet benefits
Cash Magnet cardholders can take advantage of a variety of benefits and services available to American Express card members, including:
- Pay It – With this payment tool, cardholders can lower their statement balance by paying off smaller purchase amounts as soon as they appear on their bill.
- Plan It – The Plan It feature lets you set up monthly payments for large purchases for a fixed monthly fee instead of incurring interest charges.
- Travel benefits – Card members have access to a variety of travel perks, including car rental loss and damage insurance, the Global Assist Hotline, emergency roadside assistance and travel accident insurance.
- Shopping benefits – Shopping perks include extended warranties, purchase protection, return protection and complimentary ShopRunner membership.
Should you apply?
If you’re interested in earning rewards on every purchase but don’t want the hassle of dealing with rotating bonus categories or complicated rewards structures, the Cash Magnet card could be a good fit for you. In addition to its generous 1.5 percent cash back rate on every purchase, the opportunity to earn a $300 bonus is icing on the cake. Just be sure to apply by July 18, 2018, to take advantage of the limited-time offer.
- Guide to the Bank of America® Cash Rewards card – Learn how to use and maximize the cash back rewards program on the Bank of America Cash Rewards card ...
- Chase Sapphire Preferred vs. American Express Premier Rewards Gold: – When choosing between the Chase Sapphire Preferred card and the American Express Premier Rewards Gold card, it's important to consider what you're looking for in a card and how much you're willing to pay for extra perks and services ...
- Bank of America Cash Rewards vs. Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express – Deciding which gas rewards card is better for you depends on your needs and how you plan to use the card. Read on to see how these cards compare side-by-side ...