AmEx has launched several changes to The Business Platinum® Card from American Express, including free access to WeWork, an annual Dell credit and an increased hotel credit.
AmEx has implemented several changes to the Business Platinum® Card from American Express. Effective Feb. 1, 2019, the updates include complimentary WeWorks access, an annual Dell statement credit, a $100 annual hotel credit and an increased annual fee.
See the updates at a glance:
- Platinum Global Access – Cardholders who enroll between Feb. 15 and Dec. 31, 2019, will receive free access to WeWork, a global network of workspaces, for a year.
- Up to $200 in Dell statement credits – Receive up to $100 in statement credits between January and June and up to $100 in statement credits between July and December every year for U.S. Dell purchases.
- Increased hotel credit – The hotel credit for Hotel Collection stays has increased from $75 to $100. The boost applies to reservations made after January 2019.
- Higher annual fee – The annual fee has increased from $450 to $595.
|The Business Platinum® Card from American Express|
Why use it?If you are a business owner who spends a large amount on business travel, you can benefit from the Business Platinum card’s generous rewards rate and 100,000-point bonus. Additionally, the card’s travel credits and luxury travel perks help compensate for the high annual fee. Read review
|Estimated Yearly Rewards Value ($4,000 monthly spend)|
Ongoing card benefitsIn addition to the WeWork and Dell benefits, cardholders will continue to receive the following perks:
- $200 airline fee credit – Get up to $200 in statement credits for incidentals, such as checked bags fees and inflight refreshment charges, per calendar year.
- Global Entry/TSA Precheck credit – Cardholders can receive one $100 statement credit for Global Entry or one $85 statement credit for TSA Precheck every four years.
- No foreign transaction fees – You will not incur additional fees for purchases made outside of the U.S.
- Gold status – Cardholders receive complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status and Marriott Bonvoy Gold status.
Is it worth it?
While the new perks add more value to the Business Platinum card, they also come at a price. American Express has upped the annual fee for the Business Platinum card to $595 – $145 higher than the card’s current fee. The increased annual fee goes into effect for new cardholders on Feb. 1, while existing cardholders will begin paying the higher fee on their first card renewal date on or after February 2019.
That said – for business owners who rent shared workspaces or use Dell products – the value of the Business Platinum card’s added benefits far outweighs the expensive annual fee. According to American Express, the Platinum Global Access benefit is worth $2,700. Once you combine that with the Dell statement credits and increased hotel credit, you can potentially squeeze $2,925 from the new benefits in one year alone.