American Express Business Platinum card to offer 5X Membership Rewards
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy
American Express Business Platinum cardholders who felt left out in the cold with the March 1, 2017 announcement of upcoming Platinum consumer card updates can now rest assured. American Express has unveiled several new enhancements for the Business Platinum card, which are scheduled to go into effect March 30, 2017.
Although the updated Business Platinum card will not include the same metal design or $200 Uber credit as the Platinum consumer card, it will offer the following benefits:
- 5X Membership Rewards -- Business Platinum cardholders will receive 5 points per dollar on flights and prepaid hotels booked through American Express Travel. This is in addition to earning 1 point per dollar on general purchases and 1.5 points per dollar on qualifying purchases of $5,000 or more, as well as a 50 percent bonus on points redeemed for airfare.
- Two free guest passes -- Along with a complimentary Priority Pass Select membership, which gives card members access to more than 1,000 airport lounges globally, card members will receive two free guest passes with each Priority Pass lounge visit. This will save cardholders $27 per guest, per visit.
- Global Dining Collection -- Through a partnership with world-renowned chefs, including Thomas Keller, Daniel Humm and Stephanie Izard, American Express is launching a Global Dining Collection which gives cardholders access to one-of-a-kind dining experiences, exclusive reserved seating and invitations to other culinary events.
- By Invitation Only -- American Express is expanding its By Invitation Only program to offer cardholders access to even more exclusive events worldwide. Cardholders can choose from events such as a celebration of Harper’s Bazaar’s 150th anniversary with Christian Louboutin in Paris, or VIP access to a three-day Grand Prix experience in Monte Carlo.
An expanding Global Lounge Collection
In addition to the assortment of new card perks, Platinum Business cardholders will gain access to the growing Global Lounge Collection. This is an attractive feature, as it allows cardholders entry into more than 1,000 American Express and partner airport lounges in over 500 cities across 120 countries. The network of lounges includes The Centurion lounge, The International American Express lounges, Delta Sky Clubs, Airspace Lounges and Priority Pass Select. By adding two free guest passes per each Priority Pass lounge visit, American Express will be able to compete with rewards credit cards that already offer complimentary passes, such as the Citi Prestige and the Chase Sapphire Reserve.
More card benefits
Business Platinum cardholders will continue to enjoy an array of card benefits, which include the following:
- 75k sign-up bonus -- Cardholders earn 50,000 points after making $10,000 in purchases, and an additional 25,000 points after spending an extra $10,000 in the first three months of card membership.
- Airline fee credit -- Cardholders receive up to $200 per year in statement credits for flight incidentals, such as checked bag fees and in-flight refreshments.
- 50 percent airline bonus -- Customers who pay for flights using Membership Rewards points can receive 50 percent of those points back.
- No foreign transaction fees -- American Express Business Platinum card members are not charged foreign transaction fees for purchases made outside of the U.S.
- Free internet access -- After enrolling with Gogo and Boingo, cardholders receive 10 complimentary in-flight internet passes per year and unlimited access to Wi-Fi Boingo hotspots.
Similar to the Platinum consumer card, Platinum Business cardholders also receive a fee credit for the Global Entry or TSA PreCheck application, and Starwood Preferred Guest Gold membership.
However, unlike the Platinum consumer card -- which plans to increase its annual fee from $450 to $550 -- Business Platinum cardholders will not have to pay a higher annual fee to enjoy the updated perks.
- The complete guide to saving money on your commute – Credit card rewards, employer reimbursement and other commuter tips can help you save money ...
- How NOT to teach kids responsible card use – Children are observers and parents unwittingly tend to do things just about guaranteed to show kids exactly what not to do with credit cards ...
- Guide: How to save money on landscaping for your yard – Our ultimate guide to saving money on landscaping looks at the costs and benefits of flood- and drought-resistant projects, urban landscaping and gardening and how you loyalty programs and credit card rewards can cut your costs ...