New bonus categories for the Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy
Citi and American Airlines have announced several improvements to the Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard. The updates, which include double miles on restaurant and gas station purchases, are available to new card members as of May 3, 2018 and existing members starting July 22, 2018.
Here are the updates at a glance:
- Increased sign-up bonus – New cardholders who are approved on or after May 3, 2018 will earn 60,000 bonus miles when they spend $3,000 in the first three months for a limited time.
- Increased rewards rate – The updated card offers 2 AAdvantage miles per dollar at restaurants and gas stations.
- Airline discount – Cardholders receive a $100 American Airline discount after making $20,000 in purchases within a year and renewing your card.
- Increased annual fee – The fee, which is waived the first year, has increased from $95 to $99 annually.
Citi has not yet specified when the limited-time, 60,000-mile sign-up bonus will end for new card members.
Comparing Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite card offers
Along with 2 miles per dollar at restaurants and gas stations, cardholders will continue to earn 2 miles per dollar on eligible American Airlines purchases and 1 mile per dollar on general purchases. See how the new offer compares to the original offer in the table below:
|New offer||Original offer|
||60,000 miles when you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months||50,000 miles when you spend $2,500 in the first 3 months|
||$99, waived first year||$95, waived first year|
|Estimated value in first year ($15,900 spend)||$1,623||$1,366|
With the original offer, the average consumer (who spends $15,900 annually on gas, groceries, apparel and general purchases) can earn approximately $1,366 worth of rewards in the first year of card membership. The updated offer, on the other hand, gives new cardholders approximately $1,623 worth of value in the first year – for an increase of $257.
AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard sign-up bonus history
Citi frequently updates the sign-up bonus for the Platinum Select card. The bonus, which fluctuates between 30,000 and 60,000 miles, is currently at its peak, so it’s a great time to sign up for the card:
|Change date||Sign-up bonus|
|May 3, 2018||60,000 miles after $3,000 spend in first 3 months|
|March 8, 2018||50,000 miles after $2,500 spend in first 3 months|
|Feb. 13, 2018||30,000 miles after $1,000 spend in first 3 months|
|Oct. 4, 2017||60,000 miles after $3,000 spend in first 3 months|
|July 20, 2017||30,000 miles after $1,000 spend in first 3 months|
|May 11, 2017||60,000 miles after $3,000 spend in first 3 months|
|March 8, 2017||30,000 miles after $1,000 spend in first 3 months|
|Dec. 19, 2016||50,000 miles after $3,000 spend in first 3 months|
Should you apply now?
If you don’t already have a Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard, now is the optimal time to apply in order to take advantage of the 60,000-point sign-up bonus offer.
Although current Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite cardholders won’t have access to the 60,000-mile bonus, they will begin earning the increased rewards rate on July 22, 2018. Additionally, any purchases made on or after July 22 will count toward the $20,000 spend threshold required to earn the $100 airline discount. Regarding the $4 annual fee increase, existing cardholders should expect to receive official notification in the coming months stating the effective date of this change.
- Alaska Mileage Plan Dining program guide – Our guide shows you how to get the most mileage out of the Alaska Mileage Plan dining program ...
- Chase’s new Ink business card offers a $500 bonus and 1.5 percent back on every purchase – In addition to offering unlimited 1.5 percent cash back on every purchase, the new Ink Business Unlimited card gives members a $500 cash back bonus after spending $3,000 in the first three months ...
- Delta SkyMiles Dining program guide – Our guide shows you how to get the most mileage out of the Delta SkyMiles dining program ...