Starwood Preferred cards add 35k sign-up bonus
By Tracy Brackman | Published: February 16, 2017
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy
That’s 10,000 points more than the usual sign-up bonus.
The offer, which ends April 5, 2017, awards cardholders 25,000 bonus Starpoints after making $3,000 in purchases in the first three months, and an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints after making an additional $2,000 in purchases in the first six months of card membership.
The boosted sign-up bonus also applies to the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express, but the minimum spend is different. The 25,000 Starpoints are awarded after making $5,000 in purchases in the first three months, and the extra 10,000 Starpoints are awarded after spending an additional $3,000 in the first six months.
Starwood Preferred Guest cardholders also earn two Starpoints per $1 spent on eligible purchases at participating SPG & Marriot Rewards hotels, and one Starpoint per $1 spent on all other purchases.
Starpoints can be redeemed for free nights’ stays at over 1,300 SPG and Marriott hotels and resorts in more than 100 countries with no blackout dates. Starpoints also can be redeemed for free flights on more than 150 airlines with SPG flights with no blackout dates.
Earn more points through the SPG loyalty program
Starwood Preferred Guest cardholders who are also members of the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) loyalty program can earn even more rewards points for each dollar spent at participating Starwood hotels.
In addition to the two Starpoints that Starwood Preferred Guest cardholders earn for each $1 spent, SPG loyalty program members also earn two or three Starpoints per $1 spent. This means that SPG members earn up to five Starpoints for each dollar spent at participating Starwood hotels using their Starwood Preferred Guest credit card.
Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card benefits
Starwood Preferred Guest cardholders and Preferred Guest Business cardholders get a bevy of card perks and benefits, including:
- No annual fee for the first year -- Cardholders pay a $0 annual fee the first year, and $95 per year thereafter.
- No foreign transaction fees -- Cardholders are not charged foreign transactions fees for purchases made outside the U.S.
- Free Wi-Fi -- Cardholders receive complimentary in-room, premium internet access at SPG hotels, and free unlimited Wi-Fi at more than 1 million hotspots worldwide.
- Purchase protection -- Purchases made using the Starwood Preferred Guest card are protected against accidental damage and theft for up to 90 days from the date of purchase.
- Return protection -- If a merchant refuses to accept a returned item within 90 days from date of purchase, American Express may refund the purchase price.
It is important to note that the 35,000 bonus Starpoints offer is only available to new applicants, not those who currently have or who have had a Starwood Preferred Guest card in the past.
- Is Amazon Prime worth it? – We crunched the numbers for seven Amazon Prime perks to help you figure out if the benefits outweigh the $99 fee ...
- Venture card from Capital One raises sign-up bonus to 50,000 miles – New Venture cardholders can now receive a one-time 50,000-mile bonus after spending $3,000 in the first three months of card membership ...
- Blue Cash Everyday versus Blue Cash Preferred: Which is best for you? – The Blue Cash Preferred and Blue Cash Everyday cards both offer high rates of cash back on gas and groceries. But if you’re avoiding the Preferred version due to its $95 fee, we think you should give the card a second look ...