Delta SkyMiles members can earn up to 3X miles with Lyft
The editorial content below is based solely on the objective assessment of our writers and is not driven by advertising dollars. However, we do receive compensation when you click on links to products from our partners. Learn more about our advertising policy
Members of Delta’s SkyMiles loyalty program can now earn miles on every Lyft ride, thanks to a new partnership between the ridesharing company and Delta Airlines. With the promotion, SkyMiles members earn 1 mile per dollar on Lyft rides, and – for a limited time – 3 miles per dollar on airline rides.
Link, ride, earn
To start earning miles, first set up your SkyMiles and Lyft accounts – if you haven’t done so already. Next, link your SkyMiles and Lyft accounts by following the instructions at deltalyft.com. Once you book your ride, you will earn rewards as follows:
- 1X mile – Earn 1 mile per dollar on Lyft rides, excluding taxes, fees, tolls and tips.
- 3X miles – Earn 3 miles per dollar on rides to and from the airport through Aug. 31, 2017.
- $20 credit – New Lyft users will receive up to $20 in ride credits.
Miles can be earned on all Lyft rides, including Lyft Line, Classic, Plus and Premier. There is no limit to the number of miles you can earn, and the miles you earn with Lyft never expire.
More ways to stack SkyMiles
This is the most recent partnership launched by Delta in an attempt to appeal to customers throughout their entire travel experience. VP of customer engagement and loyalty for Delta, Sandeep Dube, explained, “We want Delta customers to choose the brands that they love throughout their journey, and be rewarded for it because they are SkyMiles members.”
Delta partnered with Airbnb in November 2016 to offer SkyMiles members the opportunity to earn miles on all Airbnb bookings. When accommodations are booked through deltaairbnb.com, new Airbnb guests receive $25 off their first stay, up to 1,000 bonus miles and 1 mile per dollar on all stays. Existing Airbnb guests also earn 1 mile per dollar on qualifying stays. Additionally, SkyMiles members who sign up as new hosts can earn up to 25,000 bonus miles.
In June 2016, Delta also teamed with Clear, a biometric identity verification platform that uses fingerprint and iris ID technology to speed up the TSA security process. The partnership allows SkyMiles members to use this technology at an exclusive, discounted rate.
While you will earn SkyMiles no matter how you choose to pay for your Lyft ride, you can maximize the amount of rewards by paying with the right card. For example, by paying with the Gold Delta SkyMiles card from American Express – which offers 1 mile per dollar on general purchases – you will earn a total of 2 SkyMiles per dollar spent on Lyft rides, and 4 SkyMiles per dollar spent on Lyft rides to and from the airport.
You can also earn more rewards by paying for Lyft rides with credit cards that let you earn rewards on travel. The Chase Sapphire Reserve and Chase Sapphire Preferred cards offer 3 and 2 points per dollar, respectively, on purchases in the travel category, allowing cardholders to earn points on top of the miles they are already earning on each Lyft ride.
- A guide to the HawaiianMiles Online Mall – By clicking through to your favorite retailer via the Hawaiian Airlines shopping portal, you can earn Hawaiian miles on top of other rewards and discounts ...
- How to maximize the spending categories on the new Citi Rewards+℠ Card – Following a few simple tips can get you more out of the new Citi Rewards+ Card ...
- Is choosing bonus categories the next big trend in credit cards? – Is the updated Bank of America Cash Rewards card starting the newest credit card trend? ...