If you are a student searching for a credit card, you've come to the right place. Discover offers some of the most competitive student products on the market. With four solid student offerings, the hardest part is going to be choosing which card is right for you. Here are the basics for the Discover it® for Students:
|Sign up bonus
- 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases at categories that change throughout the year. You must sign-up each quarter.
- 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Free monthly FICO score which can be viewed online, or on your monthly statement! (only a few banks are offering this to their customers—click here for details).
- No expiration date on rewards.
- 0% intro APR for 6 months on purchases.
- 10.99% intro APR for 6 months on balance transfers.
- 12.99% - 21.99% (Variable) applied to purchases and balances transfers thereafter.
- 24.99% (Variable) for cash advances.
- Late payments do not raise your APR.
|Foreign transaction fee
|Balance transfer fee
||3% of amount
- It's easy to redeem your cash back! Here's a list of your options:
- Direct deposit your rewards directly into your savings or checking account
- Receive a statement credit on your Discover account
- Link your Discover It card to an Amazon account, and redeem cash back for Amazon purchases
- Donate your earned rewards to your favorite charity through the Discover.com portal
- Redeem points for gift cards offered on Discover.com, which can often be purchased at a discount
- Shop through Discover's exclusive ShopDiscover.com to earn up to 25% cash back bonuses on dozens of popular retailers.
- There are no fees for going over your credit limit, and no fees for your first late payment. Discover is only one of two major credit card companies that have eliminated over-limit fees.
- Discover offers a referral program which allows you to receive $50 for each friend you refer that becomes a new card member. As an added bonus, your friend will receive a $50 Cashback bonus as well! Referrals can be made online, and are limited to 10 per year.
- If you find a lower price on an item you ’ ve purchased in the last 90 days with your Discover card, Discover will reimburse you the difference between the two prices, up to $500.
- While not often touted as a travel card, Discover offers many travel perks such as car rental insurance, roadside assistance and baggage delay insurance (up to $500 per claim) when you purchase travel with your card.
- Student cards that earn 5% cash back aren't easy to find. Discover is leading the pack with this unique offering.
- In a 2014 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction study by J.D. Power, a global market research company, Discover tied for the top position with only 11% of customers reporting a problem or complaint with their cards. Discover received 5 stars for every single category listed in the survey.
- Discover's customer service centers are based in Utah and Delaware, and representatives are available 24/7.
Areas of Limitation:
- Discover may not be as widely accepted as Visa or MasterCard, however, the online shopping portal's increased cash back possibilities may make finding a retailer that accepts Discover worthwhile. Moreover, when traveling, Discover is widely accepted and works as a domestic card in China thanks to its partnership with Union Pay. This is applicable in East Asia and Japan as well.
The Final Word:
Discover it® for Students is a solid cash back card for students looking for consistent cash back earning opportunities and great customer service. Cash rewards are simple to redeem, and are available whether you want to save, shop, or pay down your balances. If you love the cash back earning opportunities, low fees, and customer service that come with the Discover it® for Students card, but you don't have the discipline to sign up for quarterly rewards categories, check out the Discover it® chrome for Students
, where you'll be able to earn 2% cash back on gas and restaurant purchases on up to $1,000 in purchases each quarter, with 1% cash back on all other purchases.