USA   |   UK   |   Australia   |   Canada

Survey details consumers' tax refund plans

We'll put it into savings, pay off card debt, or buy electronics


Been lusting after a new HDTV or the latest smartphone? What about a tablet device or a laptop? A PriceGrabber survey says many of you will be tapping this year's tax refunds to satisfy your electronic cravings.

According to a survey conducted from March 5-12, 2012, by PriceGrabber, 58 percent of consumers are expecting to receive a tax refund this year. The survey broke down how consumers planned to use their returns.

Survey details consumers' tax refund plans

The consumers who expect to receive a refund fall into two groups: shoppers (43 percent), who'll buy goodies with the money, and self-improvers (57 percent), who say they'll use the money for some sort of activity that will benefit themselves financially.

The shoppers
The shoppers reported they're hot for electronics this year. They'll buy:

  • HDTVs, cameras or smartphones (26 percent).
  • Computers, laptops or e-readers (25 percent).
  • Clothing and home goods (24 percent).
  • Travel and vacations (22 percent).

Graham Jones, the general manager of PriceGrabber, said the survey demonstrates "a consumer appetite to shop this year, with electronic products topping the purchase wish list," Jones said.

The self-improvers
However, the majority of those receiving a refund will not be heading to the mall, opting instead for some sort of self-improvement -- mainly financial. They said they will:

  • Put the money in savings (40 percent).
  • Pay down credit card debt (26 percent).
  • Pay down student loans, auto loans or a mortgage (9 percent).
  • Finance home improvements (10 percent).
  • Invest the refund (7 percent).
  • Use it toward leisure activities (5 percent).
The PriceGrabber survey also asked consumers when they typically file their tax returns and by what method they intend to do it. The survey found that February and March were the top months to file, with 43 percent of consumers claiming they would file in February and 39 percent in March. Additionally, most consumers said they preferred to file electronically -- at 85 percent -- while the remaining 15 percent said they file their returns by mail.

See related: Pros and cons of paying taxes with a credit card

Published: April 6, 2012

Join the discussion

We encourage an active and insightful conversation among our users. Please help us keep our community civil and respectful. For your safety, do not disclose confidential or personal information such as bank account numbers or social security numbers. Anything you post may be disclosed, published, transmitted or reused.

If you are commenting using a Facebook account, your profile information may be displayed with your comment depending on your privacy settings. By leaving the 'Post to Facebook' box selected, your comment will be published to your Facebook profile in addition to the space below.

The editorial content on is not sponsored by any bank or credit card issuer. The journalists in the editorial department are separate from the company's business operations. The comments posted below are not provided, reviewed or approved by any company mentioned in our editorial content. Additionally, any companies mentioned in the content do not assume responsibility to ensure that all posts and/or questions are answered.

Three most recent Research, statistics stories:
  • Complaints data show which cards pay refunds most, least often – A look at 14,000 credit card complaints sent to the federal consumer bureau shows big differences in how cards solve disputes ...
  • Gas card survey finds pedestrian rewards – When it comes to rewards, the most venerable of credit cards -- gas-brand cards -- remain stuck in the slow lane, with high APRs and limited paybacks. They remain useful for credit-building or a quick burst of savings ...
  • Online payment statistics – Once upon a time, a brick-and-mortar store was the center of the shopping universe. But online shopping has become the norm for many, and continues to grow ...

Share This Story

Follow Us!

Credit Card Rate Report

Updated: 03-27-2015

National Average 14.90%
Low Interest 11.62%
Business 12.85%
Student 13.14%
Balance Transfer 14.04%
Reward 15.04%
Airline 15.10%
Cash Back 15.28%
Instant Approval 17.93%
Bad Credit 22.48%