Card issuers roll out limited-time offers for 2012 holidays
Seasonal discounts and deals can stretch gift-giving budgets
By Erin Peterson
Even the stingiest spenders will be able stretch their holiday budgets by playing their credit cards right.
In 2012, card issuers have again sweetened their year-end offers with limited-time special deals. See the "2012 Credit card holiday promotions" chart below for more details.
If you like to get an early jump on your shopping, American Express has created a special Holiday Picks website where you can redeem your points for popular merchandise. In addition, all merchandise from Bose, Michael Kors Handbags, LG Televisions, Dyson and Wine Enthusiast can be purchased for 20 percent fewer points. Both promotions end Nov. 30.
For the third straight year, AmEx will also be encouraging consumers to shop at small businesses on Nov. 24. Visit its Small Business Saturday site for details and participating retailers.
Bank of America
Through the end of the year, Bank of America Reward customers who have saved up points can get up to 40 percent off on an assortment of gift cards through WorldPoints Rewards site. They'll also receive bonus points for booking travel through the site and additional discounts on hotels, car rentals, and resorts.
Capital One cardholders can reap extra rewards when they shop at the online portal Perk Central, including bonuses of up to 15 miles per dollar spent. The promotion runs through the end of the year. In addition, ongoing, personalized deals through the mobile site will help on-the-go shoppers save money. After signing up for the deals (which include retailers from The Body Shop to Starbucks), shoppers simply have to make the purchase with their Capital One card, and the discount will be automatically applied.
Two cash back holiday promotions from Chase will give Freedom cardholders extra incentives to target their spending:
- Chase's fourth-quarter cash-back deals offers 5 percent cash back on up to $1,500 in purchases for hotels and airlines, as well as purchases at Best Buy and Kohl's.
- Cardholders who shop at Kohl's through the Ultimate Rewards shopping portal can tack on an additional 10 percent cash back, which can be used in conjunction with the 5 percent quarterly deal to ramp up savings.
Citi Dividend Platinum Select cardholders should plan their holiday spending around electronics stores, toy stores and Macy's to receive 5 percent cash back. The deal is limited to the first $300 in purchases and runs through the end of 2012.
While not a holiday offer, since it doesn't expire with the season, Citi also has launched its Price Rewind program that could help bargain-hunting holiday shoppers save money retroactively. If Citi cardholders make a purchase with a card registered with at CitiPriceRewind.com, Citi will watch the price on the item. If it drops by at least $25, cardholders are reimbursed for the difference up to $250.
An array of cash back deals, increased bonuses, and unique experiences will help Discover cardholders make it through the holiday season and beyond.
- If you have cybershops or department stores on your shopping list, use a card to reap 5 percent cash back on up to $1,500 in purchases through Dec. 31. Sign up for the promotion at Discover.com.
- The ShopDiscover shopping portal will be rolling out the red carpet to customers with more than 70 merchants who will increase, and often double, the cash-back bonuses they offer. And if the holidays end and you find yourself without the present you really want, don't fret -- this deal goes through Jan. 10 so you can take advantage even after you've opened your presents.
- Grab a perk-filled ticket package to the big game with Discover. Starting at $225, fans can grab tickets for the Discover Orange Bowl (Jan. 1) or the BCS football games (Jan. 7). Packages include on-field access, tailgate parties and fan zone passes.
Think you might go a bit over budget on your holiday gadgets? Then put your iStuff purchases on your PenFed card. All cardholders receive a six-month 0 percent promotional rate on purchases made at qualifying electronics stores through Dec. 31.
See related: Chart: Compare 63 gift card offers for 2012
Published: November 16, 2012
- Back-to-school credit guide 2016 – CreditCards.com resources for shopping, learning about credit and managing debt during the back to school season ...
- Use rewards to boost back-to-school savings – Stretch your back-to-school shopping budget with credit card rewards ...
- Why we love that giddy high of a good card splurge – That rush you feel when you splurge actually has a name: it's called a "buy high." ...